IGNORED

Solid State Hard Drives

DEANO2

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The start up delay is greatly reduced when using SSD for the OS !

+1 amen

That is the main reason i switched to ssd years ago, and never looked back.

I will always keep portable HDDs for my main backup though, and have a few of them for that purpose, since if not used (except emergency restore), they will likely last longer.  It is said that ssd's, if just sitting will fail over x period of time.....that is less likely to ever happen with a HDD, and even if it does, with a HDD you can usually get the data back more reliably than if a ssd fails.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

The only one that I am aware of, was a simple listening comparison several years ago at a C.A. Symposium organised by Chris Connaker,  where the overall preference was for the sound from SSD.

My own preference is for SSD where the +5V supply to it has been improved, and also increases the isolation between the SSD and other areas via the PSU. (+12V internal supply regulated down to +5V for the SSD)

Interesting given the greater electrical noise of an SSD according to ElviaCaprice

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The start up delay is greatly reduced when using SSD for the OS !

+100

I replaced the startup HDD on my desktop with a SSD a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. Not only does the computer boot much faster, I no longer need to go for coffee while waiting for my mail program to start up.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Interesting given the greater electrical noise of an SSD according to ElviaCaprice

I'm not sure that the greater electrical noise matters that much if you are playing your music from memory rather than directly from the SSD.

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

In my case, the abrupt changes in current demand by the SSD are prevented from reflecting into the other SSD , or back into the PSU to affect other components.

IIRC, Chris C. said that the HDD sounded a little "muddy  sounding in comparison with the HDD

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

more info on the CA listening session might help

Then ask Chris about the Symposium that he organised several years back.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

Whatever is cheapest per GB while within your budget. You'll use the space eventually.

In other words, your recommendation here is for HDD, as  SSDs are highly unlikely to be competitive on price per GB in the immediate future.

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In other words, your recommendation here is for HDD, as  SSDs are highly unlikely to be competitive on price per GB in the immediate future.

Due to cost, I don't think SSDs make sense for music drives if you've got a lot of music, especially in HR PCM and DSD formats.

I use a SSD for my startup drive and 5400 rpm HDDs (Western Digital Reds) for my external music drives and NAS. I don't think there's any need for 7200 rpm drives if they're just for music. 

34 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That suggestion is valid whatever other parameters (e.g. SSD) have been decided on.

I will only use SSDs due to performance and bieng silent. However, the impact on SQ they have is significant — not huge, but definitely easily noticeable, the usual low-level noise that muddies / smears the sound. Through reading CA and verified through my own experimentation, the impact on SQ seems directly related to the power line of the SSD.

I’ve found two ways to deal with the SQ impact:

1. A USB-to-SATA splitter cable. This cable has a SATA power+data connector on one end which splits into a eSATA connector for connecting to a SATA port (with the use of a little eSATA to SATA adapter) of the motherboard, and also into a USB connector which it uses solely for powering the drive. I run the USB line via extension cable out into another room and plug it into a non-audio circuit via a simple USB charger. This way, not only is the SSD noise isolated from the PC, it also does not get into my dedicated audio circuit.

2. SotM SATA filter. This unit just plugs directly inbetween the SSD and power supply power connector. I haven’t attempted to A/B it with the above method yet, but it obviously works compared to the raw SSD.

You can experiment with the first method because it only costs a few dollars to try.

11 hours ago, DEANO2 said:

My hard drive on my laptop went belly up last week. So I replaced it and went through the Windows rebuild process. So I decided given my Toshiba has a space for two sata hard drives to get a solid state drive to boot and run Jriver Media center.

My question is , will I benefit from dedicating my music renderer to a solid state drive or am pissing into the wind ?

It will certainly make your machine boot faster. I replaced the hard-drive in my MacBook Pro with a Western Digital "Blue" Solid State drive (500 GB) for $149.00 from Amazon. It is now my only HD in that computer. what I notice is that apps launch faster, and anytime the HD has to be accessed, it does so like lightening. I have music on it too, and it works fine. I'd say go ahead, It's cheap enough now to make it pretty much a no brainer up to 1TB (~$300), but above that it's still really expensive. 

George

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I'd say go ahead, It's cheap enough now to make it pretty much a no brainer up to 1TB (~$300), but above that it's still really expensive. 

You lucky buggers !:D

I haven't seen an SSD of that size available  for anywhere near the Au $ equivalent here.

I try to buy locally wherever possible , in case of warranty problems and return shipping if needed.

2 hours ago, DEANO2 said:

Next question what size ? Remembering I already have 1 TB already installed . Was thinking 250 gb 

If it's solely for your system drive 120GB is plenty.  I prefer SSD for the system due to much less heat and faster write and boot.  There *is* a difference is SQ but for the system drive I find it tolerable for the tradeoff.  I replaced my Mac Mini drive with an SSD and it never gets even warm.  

For sound files I definitely prefer HDD.

1 minute ago, zackthedog said:

For sound files I definitely prefer HDD.

If you had the room inside to clean up the +5V power supply for the  SSD, your preference would most likely change.

I’ll never ever go back to HDDs. It’s not so much the raw throuput speed but the access times — SSDs, especially the high performance ones, absolutely wreck the fastest HDDs in terms of I/O speed. The latest M.2 devices are much faster still on paper, but I found that in my main PC (Samsung 960 Pro) general computing is faster compared to a high performance SSD but not by a large amount.

SSDs are important in your music server if you value a quick, seemless and high-SQ experience (provided you properly deal with the power noise issue). HDDs are the distant past, ignore.

7 hours ago, DEANO2 said:

Next question what size ? Remembering I already have 1 TB already installed . Was thinking 250 gb 

in your original message you stated it would just be for your boot drive (windows and jriver) and your library would be elsewhere?

If so, a 64gb would be more than enough....really depends on your budget.

Personally i would just replace all your hdd and stick in a single larger ssd though.  I just don't use hdd at all anymore except for massage storage backup purposes....but thats me, there really isn't a wrong decision based on your budget vs need.

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

Tomorrow I'll get a 250 gb Samsung 850 and see if it makes a difference,  note that I use a linear power supply to power my laptop. Hopefully that will reduce the hash down to SSD. 

The only one that I am aware of, was a simple listening comparison several years ago at a C.A. Symposium organised by Chris Connaker,  where the overall preference was for the sound from SSD.

My own preference is for SSD where the +5V supply to it has been improved, and also increases the isolation between the SSD and other areas via the PSU. (+12V internal supply regulated down to +5V for the SSD)

Achievable in a desktop,  Not so much in a laptop.

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

If you had the room inside to clean up the +5V power supply for the  SSD, your preference would most likely change.

I do use an LPS for the system SSD.  Still prefer HDD for music storage.  And I definitely can't afford 16 TB of SSD at this point.  Perhaps when it gets cheaper I'll try it.