IGNORED

Does digital room correction and equalization make all speakers sound the same?

flak

4 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Does digital room correction and equalization make all speakers sound the same?

perhaps another question is why would you want to do that?

No it doesn't. Speakers still have their own tone, attack, top to bottom frequency response, their own coherence.

DRC should reduce the amount of extra reflected sound reaching the listener. This adds clarity and tightness, and can get rid of "fuzz", "harshness", "bloated bass" or some other anomalies in the sound. 

Sometimes until you've reduced room effects, you don't realize what they are, and think the room added distortion is the "correct" sound. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

First, having measured and corrected a number of rooms myself, if you believe that correcting narrow band modal swings in the bass of +-10 or 20 dB is not an improvement, then what can I say?  Yet, that is typical.  I get the impression that the esteemed Barry was not measuring,  but "trusting his ears".  

Frankly, there is no point in doing anything if you do not measure.  That is automatic with DSP EQ, such as Dirac. If you are averse to measurements, do not waste your time on DSP EQ or even passive treatments.  You will just be kidding yourself.

I know people always talk about passive room treatments. But, I strongly advise against treatments.  If you look into it seriously, it is way more complicated than sellers of such stuff will tell you.  Bass traps, etc. need to be huge to control the bass modal issues where the big room distortions occur.  It is not physically possible with off the shelf bass traps, etc.  They are just not big enough and do not go deep enough.  You really need to know what you are doing.  And, measurements are just as important as for DSP.  Without measurements, you may be fooling yourself.

The best way to get your feet wet on room correction is to do a free trial of Dirac.  I have used it for years, and I would never be without it.

I've used DSP and treatments in the same environment. Both work, albeit somewhat different results. 

Corner bass traps made a huge positive difference in my environment. 

Small room, I sit against the back wall. With no treatments and no DSP, I get echo back to my ears from the back wall. With absorbers behind me on the back wall I don't. Sounds much better than without. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

16 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Personally, I avoid sitting against the back wall

Not always an option...