IGNORED

Bang for the buck DAC 2017 under $1k

2 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I like the iDSD Micro Black Label, Oppo Sonica, and used Benchmark DAC2 at this price point.

2 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I like the iDSD Micro Black Label, Oppo Sonica, and used Benchmark DAC2 at this price point.

This is the connector from REGEN normal usb and into the NANO with the large male connector. Why I'm asking is because the images I saw of the MACRO on amazon there wasn't any input for the large male part of this connector.

6 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

This is the connector from REGEN normal usb and into the NANO with the large male connector. Why I'm asking is because the images I saw of the MACRO on amazon there wasn't any input for the large male part of this connector.

Converter cables are easy to find.  Should not be an issue. 

26 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

You will need to use an adapter that comes with the micro iDSD.  It's one thing I wish iFi would change.

Another DAC you could consider is the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.  It isn't available from US retailers quite yet.

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=default&lang=en 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 2017/11/6 at 4:27 AM, AltCtrl said:

I'm ready to pull the trigger on my first hifi DAC. What is the best bang for the buck DAC of 2017 for under $1k? Balanced, DSD and other capabilities are pluses but lets keep dimishing returns in mind in regards to sound quality.

I have these on my shortlist:

Gustard X20 Pro
Denafrips Ares R2R DAC
Oppo Sonica DAC

There is X22 coming at just a little bit higher price. R2R should look into Soekris 1421, which is SE version of its flagship 1541 balanced. Buy Oppo for its simplicity but not SQ.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

Plus 1 on the iDSD Micro Black Label. Every time I listen to it I am surprised at how good it sounds. Enough so that I dropped it into my system in my studio, which has Gradient Revolution speakers and a Krell integrated, and I'd have left it there if I didn't use it so much when I travel. More musical than the other DACs I've had in that system, including my current Aries Mini. (although then you do have to find a way to get the bits from my music server to the iDSD.) Even the two signal processing tricks - the Xbass and 3D sound, are good with headphones. I usually find that kind of digital tricks to be disappointing, even distracting, but these work. Not on every album, makes some sound worse, but I use them more often than not.

I will say that both those switches stayed off when I was running it as a dac in a speakers based system. Both for headphones only.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

On 11/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

So I'm really confused on which to buy and use directly into my preamp not to be used as headphone use.

iDSD Micro Black Label

or

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen
With
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter
Or
https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/ifi-micro-idac2-dsd-dac
I have the ifi NANO with Original REGEN

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 11:40 AM, Jamesroy said:

So I'm really confused on which to buy and use directly into my preamp not to be used as headphone use.

iDSD Micro Black Label

or

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen
With
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter
Or
https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/ifi-micro-idac2-dsd-dac
I have the ifi NANO with Original REGEN

as a standalone DAC, iFi states that the iDAC2 is the better choice than the iDSD BL.  The BL ranks so highly due to its headphone stage, which is (from what I read) powerfully superb.  I don't have direct experience, but if you search around, this is the word straight from iFi. 

While it's technically a streamer with a built in DAC, the Auralic Aries Mini is one heck of a buy. Punches over its weight, my opinion. Auralic says that it sounds best using their Lightning app, but I don't think there's much difference. In fact I think it sounds best as a Roon endpoint.

2 hours ago, Jamesroy said:

Explain, don't know what that is? And what it has to do with my choice of a new DAC?

Audio-gd is a Chinese Internet-direct maker of DACs and amps. They make a ladder DAC which appears to be similiar to the Holo Spring ("linear compensation", two lower-precision ladders working in parallel). Denafrips is like MSB which relies on high-precision ladders.

13 hours ago, GUTB said:

Audio-gd is a Chinese Internet-direct maker of DACs and amps. They make a ladder DAC which appears to be similiar to the Holo Spring ("linear compensation", two lower-precision ladders working in parallel). Denafrips is like MSB which relies on high-precision ladders.

high precision ladders module on taobao ,solded 0 pcs.sound not about resistors only ......

people like gd r2r dacs!!

what about these below? not that I have experience with them, but I too am considering upgrading from my schiit modi multibit which served me well, but now looking for DSD capability:

Marantz HD-DAC1

Arcam irDAC ii

iFi micro iDAC2 w/ iPurifier2

SMSL M8 (or M8A) w/ upgraded power supply

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:14 AM, WuNgUn said:

$1000?

Doesnt anyone do DIY here? I'm positive you can do much better than off the shelf for a lot less money if you have the time and skill. 

I do. But I don't have time to make other one.sorry.Balanced r2r boards have 1-2v dc offset,if your preamp dc coupled,no need any output stages,can direct connect.More neutral sound.Input only i2s,with singxer f1or similar works well.Lt 3042 boards 4-12pcs up to you. 2 dc input Analog,digital,can feed with uptone Lps1's,sound just amazing!!! cost around 300$+Lps1's

I think a fundamental question which everyone missed here is what is the OP's system?  He might have a setup that is inherently bright or laid back.  Does he need a DAC with system control capabilities?  For me a volume control on line out is a must because I feed a power amp directly.   Did Schiit not get mentioned?  They make several high bang for the buck dac's for under $1k.  How about a Grace M900? 

My Set Up:
WD usb2 2TB external HD Only Music aiff’s on it + Time Machine BackUp of MacBook Pro ( I only use it for one thing and that to serve music to my DAC)
MacBook Pro 2013 8GB RAM 256 internal Flash drive usb3 and thunderbolt
AudirvanaPlus Always very latest Version
 Regen           
ifi DAC nano latest driver iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp5.1A.sh
Oyaide neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 to MacBook Pro from REGEN
MusicLink Transparent Interface (Directional) Cables
Parasound P5 HALO Preamp 
Reference B&K 200.2 S2 Power amp 225W RMS
Paradigm Studio 100v.3 series speakers BiWired
Klipsch Reference R-10SW Sub
Thanks

I'm now looking at a trade in at Stellar for there The Stellar Gain Cell DAC a little over 1k hope I'm making a good decision?