IGNORED

SOtM Trifecta

52 minutes ago, thyname said:

Yes, collection of three SOtM products:

https://sotm-usa.com/products/ultra-trifecta-bundle

I have seen several people have it, but nobody appears willing to share the wealth of knowledge 

Nobody wants to have to write a dissertation again.  A little search and reading can tell you all, right here in the forum in the following thread.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

8 hours ago, thyname said:

For you guys with the Trifecta, did you buy the optional Clock connectors for both sms-200 Ultra and Tx-USBultra?

If so, In anticipation of the upcoming SOtM Master Clock?

It's not so simple of an answer, which can lead to a long discussion.  Thus the reference to the thread.

In short,  yes, some did, some didn't, opt for the master clock input. 

This option was available long before SOtM's announcement of an upcoming Master Clock.  There are a quite a few on the market currently. 

Also I wasn't just answering you above.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

9 minutes ago, thyname said:

Got it. Thanks!

So for those who did, is the upcoming SOtM Master Clock going to be significantly better than those come with the sms-200 ultra and tx Ultra? If you add the connectors at $200 each, plus the new clock at $***, the cost adds up quickly....

We don't know?  The numbers suggest it is in the middle of the pack of the current offerings on the market, but I'm sure that some comparative listening will be needed to make that call. 

You only need the one input added to the sCLK-EX clocking board for all 4 points.  Those that have added a master clock have found it does make for better SQ, common attribute is increased sound stage and other common references to resolution and detail.

Yes, add in a power supply and it can get expensive quickly.

16 minutes ago, thyname said:

Thanks for explaining. I only have the sms-200 Ultra w/ clock connector option from the trifecta. Powered by lps-1. Trying to figure out whether to purchase the Tx-USBultra w/ clock connector then the Master Clock, or simply get the ISO Regen and call it a day.

here is my current setup: 

Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i5BNH ---> SOtM sMS-200 Ultra (powered by LPS-1) --> Modded  Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

Your sms-200Ultra only uses 2 of the points on the sCLK-EX clocking board within the component.  The remaining 2 clocks can be activated for use on other components like a non ultra tXUSB hub, which only needs one point for one clock.  Or/and you could change out the mobo system clock on your NUC, which I would recommend. 

My suggestion,

Forget the txUSB hub or Ultra and use the remaining two clock points on your server/NUC, one for the system clock, the other for the LAN. 

Then you don't need to purchase anything, just pay for shipping and modifications and you only have the one master clock input for all 4 points.  Biggest bang for the buck.

Total about $320, shipping included.

2 week turn around once received in Korea, ship both the NUC and sms-200.  Quick question about your setup.  Does all your data initiate or stream thru your NUC direct Ethernet to your sms-200? 

9 minutes ago, thyname said:

It does not. I use the Fs105 switch with the ground plug John Swenson invented, to connect both NUC (Roon Server - ROCK), and the sms-200Ultra (Wireworld Strarlight Cat8 for both)

That switch just isolates the stream from your router, but the data still continues on to your server?  If not, please explain how the data stream navigates to the sms-200.  Router/NAS direct to sms-200?

The reason I ask is because this will determine where to administer the remaining 2 potential points on your sCLK-EX for the best impact in SQ.

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

Yes. Ethernet cable from router to Switch. Then NUC and sms-200 Ultra both connected to Switch via Ethernet. SMS-200 Ultra is a Roon Ready end point . The NUC is simply the Roon Server. Nothing “plays” through it. There is a HDD hooked up to NUC via uSB with my music, Plus Tidal Hifi Integrated w/ Roon

Well, that HDD is being streamed from the NUC to the sms-200 via the Switch.  So the NUC does have an impact on SQ.  As you can tell I'm not a network guy.  I like it simple, server to DAC to Speakers. 

You have choices on what to do with those open 2 points on your sCLK-EX inside your sms-200Ultra.  Where you want to apply them is probably best advised by the trifecta folks.  Not I with the sCLK-EX server route.

34 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Thanks for the wrap-up! It is well possible that SOtM are building great devices but, to me, their web page is one of the worst examples of product presentation I happened to come across.Thus, I very much appreciate any attempt at bringing some clarity in their range of products. Let me see if I understand you correctly:

- sPs-500: this is simply a power supply with one output and 4 selectable output voltages.

- sMS-200ultra: this is a UPnP server and an USB network player. Functionally, it is similar to Sonore's ultraRendu with the added value of 2 USB ports for connecting external storage and the possibility of running a UPnP server (MinimServer). The OS is a dedicated Linux distribution and it is not clear whether the device supports running a generic Linux distribution.

-  tX-USBUltra: this is a USB to USB regenerator with one USB input, two USB outputs and one input for a  10MHz master clock. Functionally, it is similar to UpTone Audio's ISO Regen with the added value of a second USB output and of the master clock input.

From a user's perspective, the typical use-case for the tX-USBUltra would be between an off-the-shelf device with USB output (like a Mac Mini, fitlet, Raspberry Pi, Allo Sparky USBridge, etc.) and a USB DAC. The typical use-case for the sMS-200ultra would be as a stand-alone UPnP server + renderer, as an MPD USB player or as a Roon USB endpoint. Is this understanding more or less correct? Thanks, nbpf

Except you missing the single most important component made by SOtM.

sCLK-EX

Forget everything else and concentrate on where you apply this clocking board to various products (SOtM or others), replacing their clocks, be it a generic mobo, renderer or fixer. 

The sCLK-EX can stand alone.  Has 4 points for clocking.

8 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Thanks, but I do not see an obvious way of applying the sCLK-EX to my system. This is very straightforward: a headless fitPC3 connected via USB to SPDIF interface to a Naim DAC. I cannot add the sCLK-EX to the fitPC3. I could replace the fitPC3 with a DIY, sCLK-EX-based small server. But I have no DIY expertise and the SOtM page does not offer any pointers to standard sCLK-EX based DIY solutions. Alternatively, I could replace the fitPC3 with an sMS-200ultra that, if I am not mistaken, is based on a sCLK-EX board and that can act as an integrated UPnP server + renderer. The only unknown is whether I can run a generic Linux distribution on the sMS-200ultra: I do not want to depend on the OS that comes with the device. By the way, do you know whether Eunhasu runs a ssh server? 

Sorry, not a network guy.  It's direct sCLK-EX server via USB to DAC for me. 

Anywhere there is a clock, the sCLK-EX can be used.  SOtM will do the clock mod on their products or any non audiophile companies components.  A fitPC3 has clocks or as you suggest a new small mobo.

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

No network here as well. The fitPC3 is directly connected (via the USB to SPDIF interface since the nDAC only has SPDIF inputs) to the DAC. Thus, the clock that matters more is that of the USB to SPDIF interface. This could only be improved with an external master clock. The sCLK-EX also cannot fit in the fitPC3, see http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fit-PC_Product_Line:_fit-PC3/3i. Thus, I only have two options: improve the server or improve the USB to SPDIF interface. If you have any pointer to a small fanless sCLK-EX-based server (NUC, Fitlet, etc.) please let me know. The SOtM sMS-1000 line of products also is rather poorly documented and I would not know where to demo a device in Germany. Thanks, nbpf 

The sCLK-EX can sit externally, powered externally.  The leads will run to the the modifications made by SOtM. 

You will pay twice as much for one of SOtM's sCLK-EX servers and not gain any additional benefit from a DIY of your own, having SOtM replace the clocks.  The thread I referenced to mentions many different mobos that would work, from a Jetway NUC to a mini-ITX build.  SOtM does have an Ultra product, I believe that does USB to SPDIF.