IGNORED

SOtM Trifecta

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

After having read many a trifecta name at CA, it's a Triple set on the sOTM home page. OK...

Everyone can read the specs for themselves, but here's a summary of what's included in the triple set as I couldn't remember which one does what.

Ethernet input
USB 2 Output
No clock input
'use the correct power supply' (kidding, right?)

USB input
2 x USB out
sCLK-EX12 board Internal Clock or external 10MHz 50 Ohm
6.5-12 V dc 2A

sPs-500
7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc, 19Vdc selectable output voltage
DC power output
Voltage : 7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc, 19Vdc selectable
Voltage tolerance: ±10%
Current limit: 
5A@ 7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc
3.3A@ 19Vdc
Current tolerance: ±10%
Maximum output power : 
50W@100Vac <, +50℃ > inside temperature

The sMS-200ultra is the renderer from Ethernet to USB. Any (?) USB DAC can be connected to this output. The renderer needs external DC power, so here's the first point for added leakage current (like added sugar, think of it the same as for food). 

Then the USB is reclocked by the tX-USBUltra or by an external 50 Ohm clock. What is it with far east, everyone who's anyone uses 75 Ohm and try and find a true 50 Ohm BNC connector, another story. Here's another source for leakage current entry.

To provide power for the two, use the sPs-500 and that rounds the exercise, there's enough current. The specs on the output voltage is not that great at 10%, and there needs to be a dual headed cable to power up the renderer and the USB reclocker. Unless supplied by sOTM the dual cable is a bit of headache for the average hobbyist.

Unless the Renderer and the USB reclocker are supplied with Uptone LPS-1, there's leakage currents in abundance. What a chain of spaghetti, and this is the pinnacle of Ethernet audio? On paper,  well, this system is a f&$%kn mess. If you think I'm criticising, then yes, just for the total lack of any stopping of leakage currents from the PSU and the two components. Without the LPS-1, this system by itself does not cut it.

I would put my money into a single box that has an AC input, Ethernet or USB input, USB or other signal re-clocked and galvanically isolated out. Isn't that a new Auralic offering, the VEGA 2, hey, it has a DAC as a bonus, and in the one box.  Most likely a 50 Ohm clock input, groan, here we go again.

Use the Renderer by all means, and feed it into a Mutec MC-3+USB with an iDefender cause the MC-3 is kinda power hungry on the USB input. Until the Vega 2 arrives.....

Thanks for the wrap-up! It is well possible that SOtM are building great devices but, to me, their web page is one of the worst examples of product presentation I happened to come across.Thus, I very much appreciate any attempt at bringing some clarity in their range of products. Let me see if I understand you correctly:

- sPs-500: this is simply a power supply with one output and 4 selectable output voltages.

- sMS-200ultra: this is a UPnP server and an USB network player. Functionally, it is similar to Sonore's ultraRendu with the added value of 2 USB ports for connecting external storage and the possibility of running a UPnP server (MinimServer). The OS is a dedicated Linux distribution and it is not clear whether the device supports running a generic Linux distribution.

-  tX-USBUltra: this is a USB to USB regenerator with one USB input, two USB outputs and one input for a  10MHz master clock. Functionally, it is similar to UpTone Audio's ISO Regen with the added value of a second USB output and of the master clock input.

From a user's perspective, the typical use-case for the tX-USBUltra would be between an off-the-shelf device with USB output (like a Mac Mini, fitlet, Raspberry Pi, Allo Sparky USBridge, etc.) and a USB DAC. The typical use-case for the sMS-200ultra would be as a stand-alone UPnP server + renderer, as an MPD USB player or as a Roon USB endpoint. Is this understanding more or less correct? Thanks, nbpf

10 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Except you missing the single most important component made by SOtM.

sCLK-EX

Forget everything else and concentrate on where you apply this clocking board to various products (SOtM or others), replacing their clocks, be it a generic mobo, renderer or fixer. 

The sCLK-EX can stand alone.  Has 4 points for clocking.

Thanks, but I do not see an obvious way of applying the sCLK-EX to my system. This is very straightforward: a headless fitPC3 connected via USB to SPDIF interface to a Naim DAC. I cannot add the sCLK-EX to the fitPC3. I could replace the fitPC3 with a DIY, sCLK-EX-based small server. But I have no DIY expertise and the SOtM page does not offer any pointers to standard sCLK-EX based DIY solutions. Alternatively, I could replace the fitPC3 with an sMS-200ultra that, if I am not mistaken, is based on a sCLK-EX board and that can act as an integrated UPnP server + renderer. The only unknown is whether I can run a generic Linux distribution on the sMS-200ultra: I do not want to depend on the OS that comes with the device. By the way, do you know whether Eunhasu runs a ssh server? 

52 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Sorry, not a network guy.  It's direct sCLK-EX server via USB to DAC for me. 

Anywhere there is a clock, the sCLK-EX can be used.  SOtM will do the clock mod on their products or any non audiophile companies components.  A fitPC3 has clocks or as you suggest a new small mobo.

No network here as well. The fitPC3 is directly connected (via the USB to SPDIF interface since the nDAC only has SPDIF inputs) to the DAC. Thus, the clock that matters more is that of the USB to SPDIF interface. This could only be improved with an external master clock. The sCLK-EX also cannot fit in the fitPC3, see http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fit-PC_Product_Line:_fit-PC3/3i. Thus, I only have two options: improve the server or improve the USB to SPDIF interface. If you have any pointer to a small fanless sCLK-EX-based server (NUC, Fitlet, etc.) please let me know. The SOtM sMS-1000 line of products also is rather poorly documented and I would not know where to demo a device in Germany. Thanks, nbpf 

22 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The sCLK-EX can sit externally, powered externally.  The leads will run to the the modifications made by SOtM. 

You will pay twice as much for one of SOtM's sCLK-EX servers and not gain any additional benefit from a DIY of your own, having SOtM replace the clocks.  The thread I referenced to mentions many different mobos that would work, from a Jetway NUC to a mini-ITX build.  SOtM does have an Ultra product, I believe that does USB to SPDIF.

Thanks, I would not mind going the DIY route but I really do not want to start sending bits and pieces back and forth and have items stuck at the customs! I am wondering whether SOtM could not offer a small, low power device with their super clocks, options for outstanding USB, SPDIF or i2s outputs, a user replaceable HDD or SSD and Linux certification. This would be a killer component, it could be used as a server or as a network player and could be directly connected to a DAC without having to deploy long chains of regenerators, reclockers, convertors and their respective power supplies. Something like a sMS-1000 but with a smaller footprint, customizable outputs and the option of running a generic OS.