IGNORED

Roon and Classical Music

rodrigaj

Is there anyone who listens primarily to classical music also a Roon user?

If you listen to classical music and tried Roon, I would be very interested in whether you think it worthwhile. I can't try Roon because my renderer is not "Roon Ready".

I've searched and perhaps this topic is covered somewhere else. If so just point me in the right direction.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@Speed Racer

Thank you. What is worthwhile to you about it, as it pertains to classical music? Sound quality? DSP? Album information?

It may be that I don't know enough about it.

Tidal integration is a must, but I already have that with the Lumin App. Everything I read about Roon seems to be about music I don't care about, so it is difficult for me to see any value in it. OTOH, I don't want to buy new gear, for example, Aurender, that does not support Roon, only to find out later that it was a mistake. I like to keep my equipment for years.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I found this discussion in the Roon forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/classical-music-and-roon-very-long-post/1566

...but it is approaching 2 years old now, so I don't know if the issues raised have been addressed. From that discussion, it doesn't appear classical music friendly at all.

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

@Speed Racer

Thank you. What is worthwhile to you about it, as it pertains to classical music? Sound quality? DSP? Album information?

It may be that I don't know enough about it.

Tidal integration is a must, but I already have that with the Lumin App. Everything I read about Roon seems to be about music I don't care about, so it is difficult for me to see any value in it. OTOH, I don't want to buy new gear, for example, Aurender, that does not support Roon, only to find out later that it was a mistake. I like to keep my equipment for years.

The "worthwhile" part in the Roon integration with Tidal and the user-interface. I able to listen to my Classical CDs and those available on Tidal. Roon has the best user-interface I have ever used and the sound quality is as good as Audirvana (I am using Mac computers). I like Roon so much I bought the the lifetime license.

Roon is addressing the issues with classical music. They understand they have more to imporve.  I think it is pretty good. Some classical lovers do not like how it deals with classical.

One of the solutions is to setup your Roon preferences so that it uses your tags and not it's database. Of course, that assumes you've written tags. 

The Tidal integration is fantastic, you can listen to and compare all sorts of versions of every  piece. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@firedog @Speed Racer

Thanks. I have spent hours carefully tagging my music, so that is not a problem and anything that does a better job at Tidal integration is a plus, although the Lumin App is not bad. 

Aurender must have their reasons for not supporting Roon. It is a shame because they have such reasonably priced equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

No, not at the moment. I tried it some months ago, but went back.

So, you did not feel it worthwhile as a classical music listener to use Roon?

9 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

So, you did not feel it worthwhile as a classical music listener to use Roon?

Of course my opinion is totally subjective. I tried it for some days together with my 3000+ albums and I did not get the searching results I hoped. But, I would totally agree, if someone does not want to investigate much time and only wants some nice views, and does not know what (s)he wants to listen next, roon really could support quite good. I would say, roon is a journey, but not an archive. ;)

Maybe you know what I mean.

25 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

Of course my opinion is totally subjective. I tried it for some days together with my 3000+ albums and I did not get the searching results I hoped. But, I would totally agree, if someone does not want to investigate much time and only wants some nice views, and does not know what (s)he wants to listen next, roon really could support quite good. I would say, roon is a journey, but not an archive. ;)

Maybe you know what I mean.

Thank you. I know exactly what you mean.

All of this wouldn't matter to me if it were not for the fact that Aurender does not support Roon. I'm drawn to Aurender because of their product offerings and reasonable priceing. My present gear does not support Roon either, so I can't just try their trial and decide for myself.