IGNORED

MQA and the Sponsor Wars

Just now, witchdoctor said:

Costly options? Have you priced headphones lately? Why are people buying headphones instead of using the ear buds that came with the device? The LG V30 is touting the B&O headphones as a premium headphone form a sonic perspective because why? 
You are stuck in an equation of price=SQ. This is marketing, branding, endorsements, etc. 

Hi,

OK for headphones - people can see that you have paid a lot of money. If MQA offers no benefit, why pay more for something that is audibly no better than CD redbook, and no one knows you are even listening to ?.

If it is no better than existing, then you can only really market it as something hip - trendy, haute couture of the pop world, to appeal to the masses.

But there is the problem, nowadays, the majority of people don't care about sound quality.

Regards,

Shadders.

12 minutes ago, Shadders said:

No amount of marketing will make it other than that - a more costly option to listen to - when you can get the same for less money (CD Redbook)

Shadders, for your own sake : you seem to have adopted the state of MQA that it is nothing, or as you put it - the same as Redbook. This is 100% certain not so. It is not even claimed in CA somewhere (that I know of). However, I see too many posts from you by now which "claim" that. This, while I think you don't listen to it yourself. So somewhere along the lines you drew a wrong conclusion ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

41 minutes ago, Shadders said:

the majority of people will not know how a real instruments sounds, etc., as it is pop they are interested in

Pop ?? As in Madonna and Micheal Jackson ?

Or as in the Anita Kerr Singers ?

Can't be the latter because that is good enough. The former ? ... are you addressing me or my son ?

Point is : there's an MP3 audience (not us, except witchdoctor perhaps) and there's audiophile audience. If that is not you then it is hard to have an opinion for us "others".  But that not assumed, the audience should be those who may like MQA for the better. And FWIW, my own situation is turning further and further.

Possibly I am the only one with a real open mind to it. And maybe I am the only one who keeps on trying until he drops dead. This is contrary to those who have been taken by the hand by MQA Ltd. Mind you, I am not part of that and fight my very own fight. And all I personally want is better SQ. Each and every day again.

I am obsessed, but hard to influence. I think the difference lies there.

XXHighEnd (developer)

When JayZ and Beyonce start tweeting Tidal links to their new albums in MQA will followers march down to Sprint (part owner of Tidal) get a new LG phone (at a 2 for 1 special price which is happening now) and a Tidal premium subscription? Notice they are cross selling this with Google Daydream and you get a VR headset thrown in along with some content. 

THAT is a good campaign. VR buyers get cross sold to Tidal/MQA. Tidal buyers get cross sold to Google. Both markets vave to purchase by Sprint.
Sign the WD up! I'll be doing immersion in VR and hirez MQA streaming while I am flying to Vegas for CES,  sipping whiskey in first class with Bob Stuart and JayZ, oh yeah! I'll post it all on Instagram to my 2 million followers to do the same thing. Now THAT's viral marketing.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/19/media/jay-z-new-album/index.html

http://newsroom.sprint.com/lg-v30-arrives-in-sprint-stores-on-oct-13-lease-one-get-one-on-us-just-38-per-month-for-two.htm

Removed link to pirated download site. -CC

1 hour ago, witchdoctor said:

FredericV how did they market MP3 to the point that it nearly obliterated vinyl? The SQ can't compare why did it drive vinyl almost to extinction? How did marketing help vinyl fight back?

Your stunning superficial understanding of the market is quite apparent here.  I thought you started this thread with some statement about your knowledge of marketing...

It was CDs that caused the popularity of vinyl to diminish.  And that was a deliberate act by the major record companies.  People who had a vinyl copy of a particular title would have to buy it again to get it in CD format. $Profit$

MP3?  That was how the masses "unlocked" the content from CD and  portability, not sound quality, became the focus for consumers.  The record companies eventually caught up, with Apple (by far the leading seller of DAPs) leading the way.  Smartphones replaced DAPs in today's market, but portability still reigns over sound quality.  How many people do you know who are willing to shell out $300 or more for a set of earbuds/IEMs that can leverage the higher sound quality being touted by LG?  MQA in a smartphone is a joke.  It won't likely make any difference in the sales volume.

The resurgence of vinyl (almost 100% digitally sourced) was purely a millennial/hipster phenomena that record companies once again leveraged ("vinyl is cool") to make more mainstream and generate profit.  But the record companies did not make vinyl "popular" again.  Much like disco, which started in NYC and was mostly unknown outside of club goers, disco's mainstream "popularity" was nothing more than the record companies (a.k.a., "The Majors") adopting a "me too" approach.  While there was some great disco back in the day, most of what The Majors foisted upon the record buying public was formulaic bilge.

17 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

When JayZ and Beyonce start tweeting Tidal links to their new albums in MQA will followers march down to Sprint (part owner of Tidal) get a new LG phone (at a 2 for 1 special price which is happening now) and a Tidal premium subscription?

Probably not.  Tidal has way, way less subscribers than Spotify.  People have no problem giving up on JayZ and Beyonce to get the ubiquity of Spotify.

And plus, you would have to be a Sprint customer.  Sprint.  O.o

32 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Shadders, for your own sake : you seem to have adopted the state of MQA that it is nothing, or as you put it - the same as Redbook. This is 100% certain not so. It is not even claimed in CA somewhere (that I know of). However, I see too many posts from you by now which "claim" that. This, while I think you don't listen to it yourself. So somewhere along the lines you drew a wrong conclusion ?

Hi,

I say this, because 99% of the population don't care about high resolution, or can hear differences. People prefer what they are used to - that is MP3. This has been shown on programmes on TV in the UK - albeit, not with the controls as per drug companies.

8 billion people in the world, 1% equates to 80 million people. I do not see 80 million different people on audio forums.

So, 99% not being interested in high resolution is being a rather generous approximation.

Technically - MQA is different to redbook CD,  which are both different to high resolution audio, but the general public don't care, and cannot hear the differences, So, for all intents and purposes, CD redbook is as good as MQA/High Resolution.

I am generalising, not being technically accurate, in the engineering sense.

This is why i say that marketing for MQA is wasted - no one really cares about high resolution.

Regards,

Shadders.

38 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

These headphones are $1000 US, they are ear buds, no can see anything. Why do people buy them?

Hi,

I can see them - up close. No matter how close you get to a person, you cannot see them listening to MQA. (unless their device is on show, i suppose)

Why do people buy these - i refer you to the web site http://www.peoplewithmoremoneythanfuckingsense.com

Regards,

Shadders.

11 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Shadders we get your point, no one cares about SQ and no one will buy MQA, you don't have to keep posting the same claim. Thanks

Hi,

Just trying to explain why i said what i said.

Regards,

Shadders.

P.S. No one cares about high resolution. In general. Probably.:D

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Shadders we get your point, no one cares about SQ and no one will buy MQA, you don't have to keep posting the same claim. Thanks

And we get your point so you can stop spamming this site with MQA links.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Just now, Shadders said:

P.S. No one cares about high resolution. In general. Probably.

Yeah but here, the people that do care are disproportionately represented, so you'll have a tough time with that soap box.

I personally prefer well mastered Redbook.  I even make my own Redbook files from the HD Tracks downloads to put on my DAPs.  Hirez files are huge, and the difference in sound quality is outweighed by the data footprint.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Yeah but here, the people that do care are disproportionately represented, so you'll have a tough time with that soap box.

I personally prefer well mastered Redbook.  I even make my own Redbook files from the HD Tracks downloads to put on my DAPs.  Hirez files are huge, and the difference in sound quality is outweighed by the data footprint.

Hi,

Yes - i know- i will add a smiley.

I have tried high resolution, but could not really hear anything different from a well produced CD.

I am not against high resolution, as this is the way forward, higher sample rates perhaps, and maybe stop the loudness wars.

For me, high resolution was not the step change in music over CD. I am disappointed in that.

What i am against is a path where a proprietary/closed format is all that the studios will give us (MQA), which has an engineering approach just not needed.

So, i am not anti high resolution, and i do support it.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

This is why i say that marketing for MQA is wasted - no one really cares about high resolution.

Oh, but that is a totally different matter. And might you not know : I am "against" Hires from the start of it, just because it doesn't make sense to these ears BECAUSE all is flawed and faked and everything bad. Mind you, we produce D/A converters (with software) which accomplish one thing only : make Redbook the best sounding there is. All the many 10s of millions of them. Who cares about a handful of hires that is flawed meanwhile.

And oh, that this DAC is 24/768 for 7-8 years already (and the very first with it, of course) is only related to make Redbook the best.

I told it more often : what happens with MQA is that it is the single entity that is capable of presenting Hires (FWIW in itself) in a fashion that I say that 100 out of 100 sound very good for being Hires (this is probably the reason why it is no Hires at all O.o).

But who exactly is telling that this is about Hires ?

If I didn't tell the DAC story (above) what would you think this DAC is about ? should be about playing HIres. And very much of it.

So you see, we are deceived. Or better : we talk that into ourselves (wd I am applying marketing techniques here - no worries).

Oh, there is a deviate all right and it tells that "hires now can be streamed" or whatever bull I always skip (and what we all skip). But "MQA is Hires !!!" ? no, I don't see that one often passing by. Also not in MQA ads, I'd say.

It should be sounding more genuine to reality.

That's the marketing campaign. How does it do that ? ... now everyone is guessing.

Can it be any good ? 100% of people who never listened say No. And estimating : 50% of people can't decide (they fail to interpret the the real merit btw including me sofar (but won't take long any more) and another 50% like it because they are told it is Hires and they "know" that Hires is for the better (their biggest mistake).

MQA marketing tells that we should like it and MQA marketing causes that THUS we don't. That's audiophilia.

XXHighEnd (developer)

13 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Shadders we get your point, no one cares about SQ and no one will buy MQA, you don't have to keep posting the same claim.

foff

XXHighEnd (developer)

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Amazing. This Witchdoctor just posted a link to a pirate site so people could illegally download an MQA version of Beyonce's album. Not sure who that helps, other than everyone who wants to see you banned from CA. I'm not banning you for this offense just yet, as that would be like getting Al Capone on tax evasion. I'lll keep giving you rope and in due time you'll get yourself banned.

My bad, didn't know it was pirated, please take down that link immediately. thanks Chris 

20 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Oh, but that is a totally different matter. And might you not know : I am "against" Hires from the start of it, just because it doesn't make sense to these ears BECAUSE all is flawed and faked and everything bad. Mind you, we produce D/A converters (with software) which accomplish one thing only : make Redbook the best sounding there is. All the many 10s of millions of them. Who cares about a handful of hires that is flawed meanwhile.

And oh, that this DAC is 24/768 for 7-8 years already (and the very first with it, of course) is only related to make Redbook the best.

I told it more often : what happens with MQA is that it is the single entity that is capable of presenting Hires (FWIW in itself) in a fashion that I say that 100 out of 100 sound very good for being Hires (this is probably the reason why it is no Hires at all O.o).

But who exactly is telling that this is about Hires ?

If I didn't tell the DAC story (above) what would you think this DAC is about ? should be about playing HIres. And very much of it.

So you see, we are deceived. Or better : we talk that into ourselves (wd I am applying marketing techniques here - no worries).

Oh, there is a deviate all right and it tells that "hires now can be streamed" or whatever bull I always skip (and what we all skip). But "MQA is Hires !!!" ? no, I don't see that one often passing by. Also not in MQA ads, I'd say.

It should be sounding more genuine to reality.

That's the marketing campaign. How does it do that ? ... now everyone is guessing.

Can it be any good ? 100% of people who never listened say No. And estimating : 50% of people can't decide (they fail to interpret the the real merit btw including me sofar (but won't take long any more) and another 50% like it because they are told it is Hires and they "know" that Hires is for the better (their biggest mistake).

MQA marketing tells that we should like it and MQA marketing causes that THUS we don't. That's audiophilia.

Hi PeterSt,

I think that a NOS DAC with high sample rate is the way to go. As per TV's, people believe higher resolution is better, but studies show that higher frame rates are the next step.

For audiophiles, as you have said, being told something is better makes us critical, and cautious.

For the general public - look at the Perrier campaign in the 80's - bottled fizzy water was the rage, all due to marketing. You can get the same effect with tap water and a soda stream device.

So, if every pop artist begins to promote MQA, their followers will follow.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, witchdoctor said:

Now THAT's viral marketing.

And you're simply a crook.

The times that you link to something I can't understand can not be counted on one hand any more. Can you tell us WHY you link to a pirate site. You have to have a reason for this idiocy behavior and we like to understand what it is that you are after.

2 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

My bad, didn't know it was pirated, please take down that link immediately. thanks Chris

Go fool someone else. No one receives these links (yea, we from you).

You are the sneakiest prick ever and worse than the best hiding troll. You with your Thank you.

Go away.

Thank you.

XXHighEnd (developer)