IGNORED

Can Computers "Influence" SQ?

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Does your DAC use an internal SMPS ?

Perhaps you are simply too lazy to try something new, or perhaps you are  afraid that you may hear an improvement ?

We can't have that happen can we, as it would decrease your credibility with mansr , Plissken and the rest of the anti Subjectivity mob ! 

stock-vector-scared-cartoon-chicken-vect

The last time I did something because someone called me "chicken" was 50 years and I still have the scars on my face.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

23 minutes ago, Rounder44 said:

Using Audirvana to play mostly Apple Lossless via an Audioquest Forest USB cable.

Have you tried using .aiff ?

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/heres-a-simple-set-of-tips/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 10/26/2017 at 4:24 AM, Rounder44 said:

But how much of it is file or actual Mac?

Can the computer have any influence to the overall SQ?

IMO the most important things are quality of the recording/mastering in the first place, your room, and playback chain all the way from digital transport (computer) to speakers.

people have been building dedicated music servers for a long time and for many, exactly because they perceive better sound quality. Look at CAPs music servers on this CA website.

People claim, including myself, to hear improvements with linear power supplies, better usb sound cards, products like isoregen etc.

There is a bunch that believe such things can make no difference. There is growing evidence that it can. better still, use the things that will ultimately determine your listening experience, your ears in conjunction with your brain, and have a listen.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

P.S.

Specially for the Kumakumas ,esldude's etc. of the forum.

You want measurements with this simple earthing modification ? :P

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?page=9

See the post by Alex C.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

15 minutes ago, sandyk said:

P.S.

Specially for the Kumakumas ,esldude's etc. of the forum.

You want measurements with this simple earthing modification ? :P

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?page=9

See the post by Alex C.

Why me?

The only thing that I am truly skeptical about is your theories about bit identical files sounding different and binary data changing/deteriorating when transferred over the Internet, compressed, or converted between lossless formats.. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you couldn't answer the other questions so maybe you can offer a mechanism for the purported SQ degradation here??

or just a pointer to the listening tests where a difference was detected??

I have no intention of further humouring you, (a relatively newbie here) kumakuma ,wgscott, esldude,mansr

and other members of the Audiophile lynch mob.

If you want further information, then use the SEARCH facility where you will find that I have made 100s of posts in this area since around 2009, including posting several times the results of the Martin Colloms 6 separate DBT test of the comparison .wav files that I sent him, as well as the links to the various

HFC Forum threads which are no longer accessible to visitors. You will also find threads where CA members have reported back positively about differences they heard with comparison .wav files that I gave them the DL links to if you bother searching for them. You will also find posts by C.A. member Eloise who became an HFC member specifically to ask M.C. how he performed the tests.

I have better things to do than waste time searching for hours, the results that you demand.

If you want to listen to a comparison MAM Gold CD-R that I sent esldude, then ask Dennis to forward it to you.It is similar to those that I sent to M.C. and Barry D, as well as the original uploads sent to M.C.

You will need a better than average system though, to hear the clear differences that a couple of qualified Sydney E.E.s also heard through their own systems.

I won a bottle of Scotch from that demo.:D

21 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The only thing that I am truly skeptical about is your theories about bit identical files sounding different and binary data changing/deteriorating when transferred over the Internet, compressed, or converted between lossless formats.. 

Then why are you unwilling to even try this simple modification ?

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have no intention of further humouring you, (a relatively newbie here) kumakuma ,wgscott, esldude,mansr

and other members of the Audiophile lynch mob.

If you want further information, then use the SEARCH facility where you will find that I have made 100s of posts in this area since around 2009, including posting several times posting the results of the Martin Colloms DBT tests of the comparison .wav files that I sent him, as well as the links to the HFC Forum threads which are no longer accessible to visitors. You will also find threads where CA members have reported back positively about differences they heard with comparison .wav files that I gave them the DL links to if you bother searching for them. You will also find posts by C.A. member Eloise who became an HFC member specifically to ask M.C. how he performed the tests.

I have better things to do than waste time searching for hours, the results that you demand.

If you want to listen to a comparison MAM Gold CD-R that I sent esldude, then ask Dennis to forward it to you.

It is similar to those that I sent to M.C. and Barry D, as well as the original uploads sent to M.C.

You will need a better than average system though, to hear the clear differences that a couple of qualified Sydney E.E.s

also heard through their own systems. I won a bottle of Scotch from that demo.

Thanks for your kind offer.  How much better than average is required?

Of course, that makes it appear that such effects - if they exist - are quite small.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

In  which case, it would appear that the only avenue open to him, assuming that he is using USB  , and not Optical Output, is to use improved USB cables, USB  Regens etc. and high quality external USB PSUs.

No, not at all.  I used to connect my MBP to my DAC through a USB decrapper - in my case it happened to be the W4S Recovery.  I thought it was fine.  Then...much later....as already stated, I discovered the Eitr.  Which is USB in, coax out to the DAC.  I can't say this any more clearly - it was a massive improvement.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Of course, that makes it appear that such effects - if they exist - are quite small.

How obvious the differences are will depend entirely on the performance of your own system.

The attached page is from HiFi Critic magazine Vol.6 No.1.

I am from Au. though, not N.Z. as stated.

The various HFC threads did however go into far greater detail than this published report which appeared to have been hurriedly prepared to meet a publishing deadline.:$

04.jpg

2 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

No, not at all.  I used to connect my MBP to my DAC through a USB decrapper - in my case it happened to be the W4S Recovery.  I thought it was fine.  Then...much later....as already stated, I discovered the Eitr.  Which is USB in, coax out to the DAC.  I can't say this any more clearly - it was a massive improvement.

Well implemented Coax SPDIF can sound very good indeed, often at a fraction of the cost many members pay to try and get the best from direct USB Audio.

Ralf11

Please check your PMs.

Alex

6 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Charente, the OP has a MacBook Pro - I don't think he can upgrade the power supply.

I guess you meant @sandyk O.o

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

18 minutes ago, Charente said:

I guess you meant @sandyk O.o

I wasn't suggesting that he upgrade it's PSU, just to read the thread for explanations of why an improved Linear PSU and fan controller is beneficial.

Some very good observations and suggestions ... it seems that the OP's problem occurs under various kinds of circumstances and I wonder whether it's actually the mains itself that is the problem. It may explain some of the sporadic effects being heard.

I recently had reason to suspect my mains supply (following a suggestion by another member), or rather the various things attached to it (not just audio). My house has a questionable electrical installation with lighting relays. 

I opted for an Isolating Balanced Power Supply (BPS), where I plug in my MacMini, EITR, DAC & AMP ... everything else, especially SMPS, are outside of the BPS. The isolation works well for me with a worthwhile boost in SQ as well.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2