IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

With PH power supply, 6-8 months is standard for an order.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Thank for thîs very interesting review. I also have ordered an sr7 from Paul to power my dual PC set-up. 

I have one question when you say that you compared 12vDR and 19v rail powering your server . How are you powering your server for 12 and 19v , is it through a pico psu or do you have a specific mother board which can accept 12 por 19 v dc input ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

37 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

Thank for thîs very interesting review. I also have ordered an sr7 from Paul to power my dual PC set-up. 

I have one question when you say that you compared 12vDR and 19v rail powering your server . How are you powering your server for 12 and 19v , is it through a pico psu or do you have a specific mother board which can accept 12 por 19 v dc input ?

Direct to the board.  It has a DC in.  No pico or HDPlex converter.  I was informed going that route would diminish the benefits of the SR7.  That is the only option I am aware of to power a 24pin ATX board however.

My current mobo is an ASUS Q170T/CSM.  It has no PCI slot and the DC plug is 7.4 x 5.1 which is a difficult plug to match.  I need to use an adapter with it.  I have another mobo I'm going to get modified, the Jetway NF591.  Even lower power requirements with this board.

By the way, he could also make it full DR, but this was an after thought for me.  Had I asked him to do it for all it would have been an even longer wait.

Thanks very much for the great write up. Looking forward to hearing the comparison with LPS1. Wish I could send you the SPS500 to compare. Considering you are getting 3 supplies in one it costs less than 3 SPS500's with more amps to boot and top quality components.Shame about the long wait times.

12 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Considering you are getting 3 supplies in one it costs less than 3 SPS500's with more amps to boot and top quality components.

Your math might be a little off, it cost about 5 SPS-500 not 3

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

42 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Your math might be a little off, it cost about 5 SPS-500 not 3

On 23/10/2017 at 5:35 PM, Johnseye said:

SR7MR2XL audio power supply with DR on rail 1                            $1760 USD  (£1335)

The rest is for Leads, postage etc.

The SPS 500 retails here @ £550

Check out Sotm's prices for Silver leads.

According to my poor maths thats 2.43 SpS 500's

True, but those are the fees can’t be avoid. 

I have one for my server.  I bought it from Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio and it's as good a computer based server as I've heard so far.  I'll be selling it soonish to get the N10 though.  I may just keep it as that LPS is sick.  Just takes the mac mini (also rebuilt by Steve) to heights I"ve never heard from a Mac ever.  You are dead on in that it's a marked difference in great sound.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels no other LPS is close still.

• 2 weeks later...

Your findings are in line with Roy’s that the SR7 is better than the LPS-1. Still to me, given the long lead time and difficulty in communication, I prefer to stick to my LPS-1s from Uptone Audio.

one thing that I will do is to test two LPS-1s in parallel with my tX-USBultra and see if it improves upon 1. The tX sucks almost all the amps from the LPS-1, once you stick a USB flash in the tX, the LPS-1 shuts down.

1 minute ago, mozes said:

The tX sucks almost all the amps from the LPS-1, once you stick a USB flash in the tX, the LPS-1 shuts down.

Is that really? The tx listed 2a max. I have mine on the dc-116 listed 3a and I can plug usb stick with Linux running on it.

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Your findings are in line with Roy’s that the SR7 is better than the LPS-1. Still to me, given the long lead time and difficulty in communication, I prefer to stick to my LPS-1s from Uptone Audio.

one thing that I will do is to test two LPS-1s in parallel with my tX-USBultra and see if it improves upon 1 LPS-1. The tX sucks almost all the amps from the LPS-1, once you stick a USB flash in the tX, the LPS-1 shuts down.

Looks like you could use a VR Mini then! Private joke between @mozes and me. ;)

Seriously though, check with @Superdad, I think there’re issues with perfect matching of output impedance (?) for the parallel solution to work.

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I finally got around to changing the voltage of my second rail from 9v to 7v so I could directly compare it to the LPS-1.  My comments are subjective based on what I hear from my system.  I pretty much use the same audio tracks for all my comparisons so am extremely familiar with the subtleties in each song, not to mention how they sound holistically.  I've been using the 9v SR7 to power my sMS-200 and the LPS-1 to power the ISO Regen.  My server is powered by the SR7's 12v DR rail and that stayed constant.  To compare the SR7 with LPS-1 I had to remove the ISO Regen from the picture and power the sMS-200 with 7v.  What I heard was not subtle.  I wouldn't call it a macro change either, but there is a significant difference in sound.  Using the SR7, the two adjectives to best describe what I heard was more air and energy.  There was better separation across the image and more depth.  Instrument location was better defined in the image and the music sounded exciting.  With the LPS-1 by comparison the music was flatter.  It still sounded great, but by comparison felt slower and the image was flatter.  It was more difficult to pick out exactly where the instrument was.

I hadn't listened to the SOtM sMS-200 by itself in a while as I've had the ISO Regen after it in the chain.  I also had never used it with the SR7 alone.  I was very surprised by what I heard when compared to using the ISO Regen.  I have not used the IR directly connected to my server, powered by the SR7, without the sMS-200.  I don't know if this is possible yet because of the quirkiness in using the IR, but I may give it a try.  The sMS-200 powered by the SR7 alone compared to the IR after it is also significantly different.  The sMS-200, while open, airy, with more stage depth still has a harshness to it.  At loud volumes it can be fatiguing.  There's something in the high frequency that bites.  Putting the IR after it smooths or removes all that HF harshness.  It also provides a more balanced warmer tone, but at a cost of less air and depth.  Pick your poison.

I compared the SR7 powering the sMS-200 with LPS-1 powering the ISO Regen and swapped power so the SR7 powered the IR and LPS-1 powered the sMS-200. There was an impact, but it was very slight by comparison to the other tests.  Powering the IR with SR7 brought out a bit more clarity and energy  The HF harshness I heard from the sMS-200 alone was still gone.  I don't think I lost anything by powering the sMS-200 with the LPS-1 followed by the IR with SR7, only gained.  There is one major caveat to this test by contrast with the sMS-200 only test.  When I was powering my sMS-200 with SR7 I would connect the LPS-1 powered IR with Uptone's USPCB.  Because of how short that adapter is, I could not use it when powering the IR with the SR7.  I had to instead use the Curious Cable 200mm Regen link.  I don't know how this impacts the sound because I can't compare it with the USPCB in that configuration.

You may also want to try the sotm SPS 500 . 

I have one in my system and also an LPS-1 

I have found this sps 500 to be extremely good , i heard the same differences between sps 500 and LPS-1 as you did between SR7 and LPS-1.  

I use those to power à tx USB exp card and dx USB hd interface. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

48 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Looks like you could use a VR Mini then! Private joke between @mozes and me. ;)

Seriously though, check with @Superdad, I think there’re issues with perfect matching of output impedance (?) for the parallel solution to work.

That is correct, you can't run in parallel but you can in series with 2 LPS-1's.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

51 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Is that really? The tx listed 2a max. I have mine on the dc-116 listed 3a and I can plug usb stick with Linux running on it.

The LPS-1 can only output 1.1A.  Same in a series.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)