IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

I have been reading a lot of good things about the SR7. Also, reading that there is a decent backog for existing orders and that no new orders would be accepted. And this "best in the world" class product would be discontinued.  Sad news.

One thing I keep wondering, though, is what makes this power supply so difficult to manufacture? Is it because only one man in the world knows the schematics and does not have enough time to do it? Or is it because there are some unobtainable parts? Obviously there is a custom toroidal in each LPS, but there are many companies that take custom orders for transformers. I don't expect Mr. Paul Hynes to comment as I am sure he is busy building those custom orders, but does anyone know what makes this SR7 so hard to build?

Thank you! 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

10 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

In my opinion, the SR7 is the culmination of a lifelong passion for designing power supplies and the knowledge derived from many years of exploration and experience.  This knowledge is proprietary to Paul Hynes.  The difficulty in manufacture is due to a variety of factors, most notably that every build is completely customized according to each customer's unique requirements.  Furthermore, Paul Hynes builds them all himself.  You can review this thread for further insight into some of the other issues.

5 hours ago, romaz said:

Brian said it perfectly. When you combine intelligence, experience, and most importantly passion, good things are bound to happen.  Another thing I have noticed about Paul is humility.  He doesn't claim to know it all or that his product is better than anyone else's, not even in private, and so Paul is always trying to get better rather than resting on his laurels and that is evident in the evolution of his product line.  There are those who have tried to emulate Paul's designs, have even opened up an SR7 and automatically claimed superiority by virtue of using name brand parts that aren't used in the SR7 like Mundorf caps, etc. And yet, where it matters most, the SR7 always seems to prevail.

Very cool. I have never heard someone comparing another LPS to the SR7 saying that's even close to it. So Paul's products are definitely top notch when it comes to sound quality. 

I always thought people who make power supplies have one or two sets of schematics and only replace a couple of resistors to come up with the right voltage. And I always wondered why Paul could not streamline that process. But it seems like there is a lot more "secret sauce" and customization than my head is imagining. And sometimes I want to understand everything... that level of curiosity is a bad thing.

But that takes me to another point. And it has probably been discussed here, but I have spent so many hours reading this forum recently and need to go back to my normal life soon :). Very nice forum, btw, and I learned so much in such a short period of time thanks to all of you. But what I am wondering (and sorry if it has been discussed already) is how close a SR4 is to SR7 when it comes to small current applications? I understand the SR7 could be designed to handle more amperes, which might be a requirement for many applications, but if I was to power something small like a USB reclocker that requires no more than 5V/1A, would there be a significant difference between a SR7 and a SR4? I already know LPS's sounds different... been there, done that, heard it with my ears.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

• 1 year later...