IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

An update from Paul that I received today:

I am still waiting for the shipment of rear panels for the SR4 to arrive. This has been a rather annoying issue as in the past my chassis manufacturer has provided SR3 rear panels (same size but different hole pattern) within a week of ordering by punching pre-anodised aluminium panels. This time, without telling me, they have changed the way they produce the panels. They now punch raw aluminium panels then send them away for anodising. I ordered them over a month ago but they still have not arrived. The manufacturer is checking tracking for me to find out where they are.

The SR4 power supplies for the November batch have already been constructed by my helper, and the lack of rear panels is holding up progress. Once they arrive I can have them fitted to the power supplies and they can then be tested and then shipped out.

I will let you know when the panels arrive.

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

Based on that, I agree with his rationale to ship the units floating (and I didn't ask him to ground mine). I'll just use a JSG gizmo to test both ways to see what sounds better.

Great information on the floating supply.  I would have just assumed it came grounded (with a 3-prong IEC connector after all).

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks, I didn't realize this was his long standing practice.  If so, I suspect it is also done with the SR7.  I do see the power input ground connected to the output and chassis of my second 12v rail.  I wonder if this was done to ground the chassis, what impact it has and if that is considered floating.

Please let us know the answer if you decide to contact Paul about it.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sorry. -ve is short for negative. As @octaviars clarified.

No need. Just take the output of the SR4, and run the device end (5.5x2.1 barrel) through a JSG shunt. Or use a Groundhog with the spade adapter around the barrel.

I understand now.  I think the spade adapter around the barrel makes the most sense if using one of Paul's expensive cables.  The JSSG shunt kind of defeats the purpose of a silver cable in my opinion.

Thanks for clarifying.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Oh I can explain that. I answered a PM from someone a few days ago, so I can just cut and paste it here. Pardon some of the Captain Obvious wording.

Here is how you shunt a DC barrel with the Groudhog:

• you need to supply a power cord - it's not included
  • plug the power cord IEC end (the opposite of the wall plug end) into the IEC plug of the groundhog (A in the picture)
  • plug the RCA male C into RCA female D
  • snap the spade B on to the outer barrel of the DC cable

61s-KselbSL._SL1275_.thumb.jpg.c942e4f483808ff2f9ba7008045ac4f4.jpg

Have you tried the spade with an Oyaide 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connector?

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

So a full power cable per shunt, or am I still missing something?  That's a bit impractical if you want to ground a lot of equipment.  I think I like the other solutions I mentioned as they allow multiple devices to be connected to a single grounding source.  Same principle as John's shunt.  Multiple ground cables to one plug.

While both the Synergistic Research Ground Block and the iFi Groundhog are 'grounding products,' I think their end results are likely to be quite different. The SR Ground Block is an expensive to very expensive approach to improving sound quality.  The HD grounding cable that I am using for my DAC made a surprisingly large improvement to my system.  The iFi Groundhog is a simple and inexpensive way to ground a device without spending crazy sums of money, but you shouldn't expect the same amount of change in your system.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 12:57 PM, octaviars said:

And they dont supply any specs....

If you buy from Paul you get what you pay for.

"Noise voltage < 0.5 nanovolts root Hz

Operating Bandwidth > 300 Mhz

Supply line rejection > 80 dB DC to 100 KHz

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time < 100 nanoseconds"

And Pauls new SR4 will not take to long to get perhaps a week or two. I recieved tracking number for my SR4 today :D

I asked Keces Audio (who makes the LPS-912) for the above specs, and this was their (non)response:

image.thumb.png.14f93354e77ce472b1615b96a79d0c5b.png

Keces Audio provided the specs of the LPS-912 in a follow up email.  Evidently, some of the information could be read from the oscilloscope screenshot.  They had assumed I was engineer since I was asking for such detailed information.  The noise voltage and output impedance seem to be significantly higher than the SR7.

Noise voltage:  1.6mV

Operating Bandwidth:  30MHZ

Supply line rejection:  86dB

Output impedance:  1.8ohm

Transient response and settling time:   20mV at 10ms

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, guillaume31 said:

Actually, I received a reply today where Paul explains the reasons behind the delays, his explanation is quite detailed and I feel for him....not sure how long the delays will be for the SR7 but for the SR4 he has a mitigation in place and it seems he is able to minimize the delays there (too bad for me, I changed my mind from originally an SR4 order to go for the SR7)

I was getting worried about the overall radio silence and I'll be fine with a delay as long as I know I'll receive the SR7 at some point 9_9 I feel relieved now :)

Would you be kind enough to post the explanation?

I can't answer any of your questions specifically, but you ought to review this comparison of the SR4 vs. LPS-1.  Several other CA members have found the sPS-500 and LPS-1 to be more or less equivalent.  It is reasonable to assume the SR-4 outperforms the SR-3.  Thus, I would expect the SR-3 to be inferior to all of the above.  Personally, I wouldn't give an SR3 much value, especially without cables.

1 hour ago, jean-michel6 said:

Delay in delivery of a good is sIt omething understandable when it is almost a one man operation .

However at time of ordering the delay should be mentioned by the seller ... 

Frankly, telling people 20-30 business days is dishonest, if not fraudulent, when he knows the real wait time is more like 9 months.  It would take about 1 minute to update his specifications and pricing document with the actual build time.  He's always happy to keep taking new orders though. 

All we can do is hope he starts focusing on reducing his backlog.  Otherwise, the new orders will dry up as people realize the wait involved is not worth the uncertainty and risk.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, paulhynes said:

The rescheduled list for custom build began with week one starting on 22nd of January 2018. This rescheduled list contained 29 custom build orders.

Orders 1 and 2 are completed. Order 3 goes into soak test on Monday and I begin the build work on order 4. So far I am on track.

Happy Sunday,

Paul

Thanks for the status update!

36 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

Currently planning to power my server, mutec, rednet and FMC. Four rails, four trafos total.

Sorry for going off topic, but are you re-clocking your FMC's?  Mine have upgraded capacitors and linear regulators and are being re-clocked.  It's a bit over the top (especially with the need for quality linear power), but they make a nice improvement in sound quality.