IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

How much was it?  Is there a pricing structure?

£330 plus shipping.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
6 hours ago, mozes said:

There is nothing on his website.

You wont find anything on any website. Contact is via email or message here on CA.

Main system

Second system
6 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The cost of the DC cable is extra, correct?  And no IEC AC power cable is included?

DC cable will cost extra and no IEC included.

Main system

Second system

Anybody here that ordered a SR4? Tomorrow it is one week since I made the money transfer and as "usuall" not a word from Paul. Before I made the payment he did answer messages here on CA rather fast.

I know this is how it works after reading alot about Pauls PSU but it shure would be nice just to know that the payment and order is received :|

Main system

Second system

I got an answer from Paul today @rickca and my SR4 is produced in the first batch and will be built next week and shipped out the week after that.

Main system

Second system
51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Please give Paul a break, guys.

I talked to Paul many times last weekend and made the banktransfer last monday then I hear nothing from Paul so I was only concerned that something had happened to him thats why I asked here if anyone heard from him it had nothing to do with the build time of the new SR4.

Today Paul answered that he was fine and my transfer had come through but he had been of the Island for a couple of days and bad weather stoped him from going back.

Main system

Second system
1 hour ago, ismewor said:

Not anything new, same Paul 4 years ago. 

And I love all his story. ;-) 

Yes he is very helpfull and nice to talk to.

Main system

Second system
28 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

How would you set up the shunt since the -ve is inside the case?

-Ve is the same as the negative output on the DC out you could call it -0V.

Paul has one -ve (-0V) for each output if the PSU have more than one output. You apply the shunt the way you would do with any other PSU connect the negative out to ground.

Ground in the IEC is connected to chassi for safety.....The only thing floting is the DC output as each rail has a seperate winding on the transformer.

If you ground all -0V on a multirail PSU all outputs will share the ground and that is one thing Paul dont think is a good thing. 

Main system

Second system
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

My thoughts as I am using a GS108 switch and only linear PSU in my system is to only ground at one place and only one of the 5 rails I have to power my network and endpoint. 

So my HD Plex 200W will power my network equipment and there I will ground the -0V on the supply to the GS108 the other three outputs will be floating.

On my SOtM SMS 200 Ultra I will not ground the -0V coming from the SR4 as it is feed by network from the GS 108 that is grounded. 

Perhaps I am thinking wrong but I hope this is a way of doing it right both on the grounding and the separation of different PSU rails so equipment dont disturb each others groundplane. 

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...

The first SR4 have been tested and are ready to ship in the begining of next week if the storm have passed the Isle were Paul lives.

So if we the first buyers are lucky it will arrive in the next week.

Main system

Second system
10 minutes ago, limniscate said:

This is frustrating to see as someone who ordered a SR7 back at the end of May and still hasn't received it.

Well I cant comment on that you will have to talk to Paul about it.

Main system

Second system
3 hours ago, exdmd said:

There are other options now which ship quickly and also cost less like http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/P-8

And they dont supply any specs....

If you buy from Paul you get what you pay for.

"Noise voltage < 0.5 nanovolts root Hz

Operating Bandwidth > 300 Mhz

Supply line rejection > 80 dB DC to 100 KHz

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time < 100 nanoseconds"

And Pauls new SR4 will not take to long to get perhaps a week or two. I recieved tracking number for my SR4 today :D

Main system

Second system
On 2017-12-14 at 1:21 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

The noise voltage and output impedance seem to be significantly higher than the SR7.

The specs on the Keces are not so good, output impedance as high as 1.8 ohm compared to Pauls SR models with 0,03 ohm is just in a different league.....

Main system

Second system
7 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Looks to me to be 3mohm (0.003ohm) which isn't entirely believable unless it implements Kelvin sensing (4 wires, 2 power and 2 sense). Also that the impedance is specified to 100kHz seems quite far-fetched as maintaining such low inductance (3mohms @ 100kHz is the reactance of about 4.7nH or about 5mm loop circumference of wire) would be extremely hard.

Well these are the specs Paul have given out on his SR models so I suppose he is the one to ask if they are correct.....

Main system

Second system
4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

What would help credibility for the specs would be disclosing how he tested the supply to arrive at those numbers.

Just send Paul a message here on CA and ask.

Main system

Second system
11 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Has anyone who received tracking info for their SR4 last week received their unit yet?

UPS has lost my SR4. Was supposed to be delivered on Monday but last nown tracking was in Glasgow last Friday. 

Main system

Second system
7 hours ago, str-1 said:

I’m sorry to hear that.  On the bright side, most often in these cases the package only gets stuck in limbo for 2-3 days before things get going again.  Hopefully, you’ll have it by the end of the week.

My package have been in Glasgow longer time than it took for it to go from Paul to Glasgow so I am a bit sceptic to UPS right now as it have been in limbo for more than 5 days.

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Have you spoken to someone at UPS about getting a trace put on the package to physically locate it?

Yes of course Paul have put a trace on it so I hope they find it. 

Main system

Second system
22 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

shipped with special delivery

That was what mine also was shipped with and that has been missing for almost a week now >:(

Main system

Second system
On 2017-12-22 at 9:23 PM, Cornan said:

Well, I am up the same challenge as well. Anyone in Sweden with a trifecta just pm me. I would love to wrong! ?

I might get the tX-USBUltra and run that with my sMS-200ultra but they will be powered by Paul Hynes SR4 not a SotM sPS-500.

If UPS finds my SR4 that has been missing for almost 2 weeks now.......they wrote that it can take 2-5 weeks before they close the case and then I will see how Paul deals with it and when he can build a new SR4.

Main system

Second system
10 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I really hope they'll find it! 

Well they say lots of bad things about Postnord but they never lost a package that I have sent or was going to receive and that must be hundreds during many years.

This is the second time I deal with UPS and they lost the package so no good start.....

Main system

Second system
7 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Very rare that they dissapear completely IME though.

Well with Black Friday and Christmas packages perhaps december is just a bad month to get packages. 

On the other hand my package from Ghent in China came to Sweden on a couple of days even with the massive amount of packages being sent in December. 

Main system

Second system
42 minutes ago, Emcee said:

I got a price and lead-time quote from Paul on an SR3-05. He estimated 20 to 30 working days with the disclaimer ''Circumstances beyond my control may affect lead times...''

Have you considered the SR4? That is a better design than the SR3 or do you need more than 2A? The SR4 is 5, 7, 9 and 12v 2A selectable via a selector at the backside.

I also decided between Sotm sps 500 and other PSU but when I talked to Paul he just had put out the SR4 for sale and based on the spec (same regulator design as in the SR7) I thought that it would fit my needs (driving a Sotm SMS Ultra) and was less money than Sotm PSU and I really did not want a SMPS supply no matter how good it is.

But then UPS lost my package so the SR4 have been missing since 20th of December >:(

Main system

Second system
27 minutes ago, Emcee said:

I relied on what Paul recommended. I don't know where to get info as I can't find any on his website other than for the SR1 models.

The SR4 is a brand new design that was made available in November.

If you search for SR4 or send Paul a message here I am shure you will get more information.

That website is not up to date so no new stuff there.

Here is the latest information from Paul. 

The SR4 is now currently on the production line and units should be ready to ship out as soon as the rear panels arrive from the chassis manufacturer, which I am told should be later this week. The SR4 is the first product to be designated a stock item rather than a custom build product. I have programmed production of 10 units per month initially. If demand increases production will increase although there will be a lag whilst additional material orders are processed by the manufacturer from their suppliers.

Details of the SR4 have been added to the SR power supply information sheet and I have copied this below for you.

Paul Hynes Design

SR Power Supplies

The SR range of high performance power supplies were designed for powering both analogue and digital audio and video equipment. The same proprietary ultra low noise high performance discrete component voltage regulator circuit topology is used in the SR3, SR4, SR5 and SR7 power supplies. The SR3 and SR4 use a standard 50VA mains transformer, the SR5 uses a custom manufactured 160VA mains transformer and the SR7 uses a custom manufactured 250VA mains transformer. The SR7MR uses a custom manufactured mains transformer with up to 500VA rating depending on the overall rail requirements. The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically. Schottky Barrier rectifiers are used throughout the range, as they do not generate reverse recovery transients and their associated harmonic distortions.

The error amplifier used in the voltage regulator modules has the following specification :-

Noise voltage < 0.5 nanovolts root Hz

Operating Bandwidth > 300 Mhz

Supply line rejection > 80 dB DC to 100 KHz

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time < 100 nanoseconds

As the SR3, SR4, SR5 and SR7 all use the same high performance PR3 regulator circuit topology they all have a similar sonic signature musically. Moving up the range allows better quality lower impedance mains transformers and up-rated rectification and regulator output stage providing a reduction in power supply output impedance, which in turn reduces interaction with the load. The increased energy storage capacitor bank also reduces rectifier ripple noise and RFI break through from the mains supply. Another benefit of the increased energy storage capacitance is with transient response and settling time. The net effect musically is to provide progressively larger, more stable and more robust soundstage particularly where large dynamic load current swings occur, as well as, a lower noise floor revealing more low level information and improved timbre and temporal accuracy.

The supply rail voltage regulator modules used in these power supplies have progressively higher power ratings and are designated :-

S – up to 3A continuous, 20A transient current with a maximum output of 25W continuous

HD – up to 6A continuous, 30A transient current with a maximum output of 80W continuous

EHD – up to 10A continuous, 40A transient current with a maximum output of 125W continuous

The actual current rating will depend on the configuration of the supply rail voltage. For example the HD module with an 80W rating will provide 6.6A continuous at 12vdc output but only 4.4A continuous at 18v output.

Continuous power output ratings – For fixed output voltage versions the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W and the SR7MR chassis can support up to 200W spread across the rails. The SR5 can support one HD module and the SR7 can support one EHD module. The output voltage and output current can be specified within this power rating using the formulae :-

V = W/I

I = W/V

Where V is output voltage, W is the available power in Watts and I is the output current in Amps.

A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc.

If you require help with power supply specification I will be pleased to help you where possible.

The SR3, SR5 and SR7 power supplies are available with fixed voltage output from 1.6v to 30v or variable voltage output with a 10 volt span on voltage setting, within this range, using the precision adjustment potentiometer internally situated on the regulator module. For variable output voltage versions of the power supplies, set at the maximum output voltage of the range, the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W. Lower voltage settings than maximum will increase the voltage across the regulator output device, which will increase the heat generated in this device. To maintain safe operating temperatures and long term reliability the current rating should be de-rated by 8% per volt when reducing the output voltage level on variable output voltage versions.

The SR5 and SR7 power supplies are available in Multirail versions SR5MR and SR7MR with galvanic isolation between the supply rails to avoid ground return current intermodulation (ground loops) where more than one item of equipment is powered from the same power supply. The SR5MR can support one HD regulator module and one S regulator module or two S modules. The SR7 can support one EHD module. The SR7MR can support one HD module and up to three additional S modules.

XL ultra low impedance (< 1 milliohm) connectors and fine silver internal wiring between capacitor banks, regulator modules and the output connectors, can be fitted to the SR5 and SR7 power supplies.

I usually fit Switchcraft DC plugs at the equipment end of DC leads as they are sturdy and have a current rating of 5A continuous unlike most of the DC plugs available. I can fit also Oyaide 2.1mm and 2.5mm DC plugs on request and the charge for this is £25 per fitted connector. Alternative connectors can be fitted and I can quote for these on request.

The SR5 and SR7 single rail supplies are also available in DR versions where two of the high performance voltage regulators are cascaded to a give supply line and rectification interference rejection exceeding 150 dB from DC to 100 KHz. This provides lower overall noise levels than the standard power supplies and better dynamic performance. Unfortunately DR rails require two regulator modules per rail so the SR5 chassis can only support 1 DR rail, the SR7MR2 chassis can only support one DR rail and the SR7MR4 chassis can only support two DR rails.

From 10/08/17 SR5 and SR7 power supplies now have revised chassis. In order to remain cost conscious the earlier chassis were fabricated from silver anodised extrusions and silver pre-anodised aluminium sheet. The front and back panels were 2mm thick and the panel edges were not machined giving a less than optimal visual aspect to the chassis. The front and back panels are now fabricated from 3mm aluminium plate with milled edges and a brushed aluminium anodised finish. This has enhanced the visual aspect or the power supply chassis to a much higher level and improved the structural integrity of the chassis. The latest price list reflects the additional material and machining cost increase of the new chassis with the silver anodised finish. Black anodised chassis are special order and add £50 to the cost shown in the price list.

Customers asking for alternative chassis and materials for their custom build should note that this will incur additional costs to the prices shown in the price lists. If I accept any modification to the normal build specification I will assess the additional cost and provide a revised quotation for these specification changes.

Power supply dimensions are :-

SR3 – W = 110mm, H = 50mm, D = 170mm

SR4 – W = 110mm, H = 50mm, D = 230mm

SR5 – W = 224mm, H = 90mm, D = 266mm

SR7 (6A) - W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 206mm

SR7 (10A), SR7MR2, SR7MR3 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 266mm

SR7MR4 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 346mm

Main system

Second system