IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

37 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

Thank for thîs very interesting review. I also have ordered an sr7 from Paul to power my dual PC set-up. 

I have one question when you say that you compared 12vDR and 19v rail powering your server . How are you powering your server for 12 and 19v , is it through a pico psu or do you have a specific mother board which can accept 12 por 19 v dc input ?

Direct to the board.  It has a DC in.  No pico or HDPlex converter.  I was informed going that route would diminish the benefits of the SR7.  That is the only option I am aware of to power a 24pin ATX board however.

My current mobo is an ASUS Q170T/CSM.  It has no PCI slot and the DC plug is 7.4 x 5.1 which is a difficult plug to match.  I need to use an adapter with it.  I have another mobo I'm going to get modified, the Jetway NF591.  Even lower power requirements with this board.

By the way, he could also make it full DR, but this was an after thought for me.  Had I asked him to do it for all it would have been an even longer wait.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

You may also want to try the sotm SPS 500 . 

I have one in my system and also an LPS-1 

I have found this sps 500 to be extremely good , i heard the same differences between sps 500 and LPS-1 as you did between SR7 and LPS-1.  

I use those to power à tx USB exp card and dx USB hd interface. 

I've considered the sPS-500.  It's the 100mv ripple I can't get over.  I know SOtM has excellent filtering, but I want to see what else Uptone releases next before I buy another LPSU.

The sPS-500 goes from 7 to 19v while the LPS-1 is only up to 7v.  When you compared the two did you have the sPS-500 set to 7v?

Also, the sPS-500 only outputs 50w.  This still has some applicability for my server as I know it doesn't draw half that.  The SR7 has 190w at 19v so it's much more capable if necessary.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

There is much we don’t quite understand in this domain. Both of the following statements are true:

1. For a given PSU (of sufficiently high quality), improving the clock (lowering phase noise), improves SQ.

2. For a given clock (of sufficiently high quality), improving the PSU quality improves SQ.

Where this gets interesting is the conjecture that everything is ultimately dependent on the PSU quality. Over on head-fi, Roy has reported some potentially interesting findings with the Zenith SE server, that suggests that an extraordinarily good set of PSUs can perhaps close the gap between components with and without Ref 10 level clocking.

I’m still puzzling over these latest results.

Rajiv, would you please link those findings from Head-Fi?

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I don't disagree with this.  Just when you add in biggest bang for the buck, my suggestion to the OP in question would be the sCLK-EX for their sms-200 and LPS-1.

Were you referring to me as the OP, or another poster's reply?  If me, I will no longer be using my sMS-200 in my primary listening system.  I will move it to my main PC on another floor where I can now enjoy better sounding music when listening to it in that room.

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

How much was it?  Is there a pricing structure?

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

An update from Paul that I received today:

I am still waiting for the shipment of rear panels for the SR4 to arrive. This has been a rather annoying issue as in the past my chassis manufacturer has provided SR3 rear panels (same size but different hole pattern) within a week of ordering by punching pre-anodised aluminium panels. This time, without telling me, they have changed the way they produce the panels. They now punch raw aluminium panels then send them away for anodising. I ordered them over a month ago but they still have not arrived. The manufacturer is checking tracking for me to find out where they are.

The SR4 power supplies for the November batch have already been constructed by my helper, and the lack of rear panels is holding up progress. Once they arrive I can have them fitted to the power supplies and they can then be tested and then shipped out.

I will let you know when the panels arrive.

Another piece of info I received from Paul was in regards to grounding. Paul confirmed that the SR4 supply is floating, i.e. the DC -ve is not connected to AC ground. This has been his long-standing practice to avoid creating ground loops. He mentioned that he has seen the discussions on leakage currents, and understands the rationale, but cautions that you also need to be careful not to create ground loops in the process of shunting leakage.

Based on that, I agree with his rationale to ship the units floating (and I didn't ask him to ground mine). I'll just use a JSG gizmo to test both ways to see what sounds better.

Thanks, I didn't realize this was his long standing practice.  If so, I suspect it is also done with the SR7.  I do see the power input ground connected to the output and chassis of my second 12v rail.  I wonder if this was done to ground the chassis, what impact it has and if that is considered floating.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

I had bought a Groundhog to try grounding my DAC or amp using the RCA plug. I then ended up building a shunt using the "flying toaster" screw terminal RCA plugs I described the SMPS grounding thread. :) 

But instead of returning the Groundhog, I'm keeping it around precisely to use on the SR4 and the silver cable.

How does the Groundhog compare, functionally speaking, to the Synergistic Research Ground Block, Entreq Ground Box or Nordost QKore?

Just now, austinpop said:

That's a whole thread right there! I don't really know. 

My use of the Groundhog was in the context of John Swenson's recent findings wrt SMPS noise. See: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/ 

Agreed, I don't want to derail the conversation from the Hynes PSUs.  The pictures of the Groundhog don't do it justice.  I'll keep digging to try and understand how it connects the devices to ground.  iFi's site shows the various adapters but I haven't seen what those connect to and how they get to ground.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Oh I can explain that. I answered a PM from someone a few days ago, so I can just cut and paste it here. Pardon some of the Captain Obvious wording.

Here is how you shunt a DC barrel with the Groudhog:

• you need to supply a power cord - it's not included
  • plug the power cord IEC end (the opposite of the wall plug end) into the IEC plug of the groundhog (A in the picture)
  • plug the RCA male C into RCA female D
  • snap the spade B on to the outer barrel of the DC cable

61s-KselbSL._SL1275_.thumb.jpg.c942e4f483808ff2f9ba7008045ac4f4.jpg

So a full power cable per shunt, or am I still missing something?  That's a bit impractical if you want to ground a lot of equipment.  I think I like the other solutions I mentioned as they allow multiple devices to be connected to a single grounding source.  Same principle as John's shunt.  Multiple ground cables to one plug.

Just now, austinpop said:

Agreed. It does not scale. I have heard only good things about the Synergistic Ground Block, but cheap it ain't!

For DIY, I've built "hydra" JSG shunts, with 3 devices grounded to the same AC plug. Getting 3 x 14AWG  silver cables connected to the ground prong wasn't easy, but I got it done, Less of an issue if you use thinner cable.

LOL, Hydra it is. Good description.The Ground Block isn't cheap, but the QKore is even more.  I think you can try before you buy from The Cable Co.  Lot's of power related goodness here.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

maybe Brexit will crush their pound so much I can snap one up...

That boat has sailed. Any decline of the pound has happened already. 

The SR4 is comparable in price to the LPS-1. I'm looking forward to those comparisons. I also suspect we'll see an improved LPS-1 in the next month or two. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Paul shared a fascinating glimpse of how remote his home and workplace (the Isle of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides) are with me - and to others who asked too, I'm sure. The shipping path is tortuous, even in this modern day!

I had intended to use the Royal Mail International tracked and signed service for the SR4 as it is relatively low cost and it is the only service from the island that goes to the mainland via a mail plane daily (barring sea fog of hurricane conditions). Transit is usually 3 to 6 working days to most destinations. Unfortunately the packed weight of the SR4 parcel turned out to be over 2Kg limit so this service cannot be used for the SR4.

Instead all SR4 power supplies from November production have been shipped out via the UPS express service.

Service wise we are located on the outer rim of the universe here and all the carriers who service the Western Isles designate the area as a sparsely populated remote location and they do not have offices on the islands. Instead they use local forwarding agents who traverse the island several times a week. The collections then go to North Uist  (three islands away) for ferry transit to the Isle of Skye. They then proceed via road to Inverness where they are then sent to an International Hub, where the carriers are located. This is where tracking starts, once UPS have the parcel from their forwarding agent. Transit from here to a Hub can take between 3 to 6 working days depending on weather conditions. Ferries can be cancelled in winter if the weather is bad, as they cannot birth during storm conditions.

Once tracking begins, transit should be speedy, as I use the express service to avoid additional delays once in the main system.

In my case, it took a whole week for the package to reach from his island to UPS in Inverness on Monday. It is now in Philadelphia (as per the UPS tracking), and scheduled for delivery (in TX) tomorrow.

I think he left out the highland goat and waterway seal segments of the delivery journey.

Please let us know when it arrives and how it sounds compared to your other PSUs.

4 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

A few questions plesee 

the main board can use 19 or 12 volts ?

it only needs this voltage input ? 

Then the Main bOard must have its own regulated psu output for 

chip set 

usb buss 

cpu voltage 

ram buss 

so how is this better than the same 19 volts into a hdplex 400 watt dc to atx onto mainboard through atx plug and cpu plug ? Confused ? 

If you're asking about my mainboard, yes it can use 19v or 12v.  Either of those voltages input.  The board does regulate that power.  The difference is in the noise input from the source 19v/12v PSU.  

These 2 posts will help you understand.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Respectfully, I am not the OP,  but this thread is ostensibly about the SR7, not DIY power supply enhancements.

Thank you. I don't mind talking about other Hynes products, or comparing others with Hynes as long as we stay focused on Hynes. 

4 hours ago, mozes said:

I initially enjoyed reading about the performance of the SR7, but this thread drifted now to shipping/logistics issues. Since these issues dominate the discussion of PH, maybe they need a dedicated thread.

If they need a thread at all, valid or not.  Complaints should not be part of a review thread. I'll need to be a little more firm in the future. 

3 hours ago, amir57bs said:

I think You and some peoples like you in this forum are trying to help Paul to continue to his business without delivering customer orders.

If Chris do not help me but i could ask him to let me write about My experience with Paul Hynes.

I think you're mistaken. I have no interest in helping his business. My review is only to share my experience with others in this forum. If you've read any of my posts you'd know that. 

You should take your grievances up with Paul. That's all I will say on that subject. 

2 hours ago, amir57bs said:

Haha

paul do not answer emails quicker than 1 week , i wonder how you got your order .

Please stop posting here. You obviously have not used one of these PSUs so have nothing constructive to contribute. I do not want to read your complaints. Go start your own QQ thread.