IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

• 3 weeks later...

Your findings are in line with Roy’s that the SR7 is better than the LPS-1. Still to me, given the long lead time and difficulty in communication, I prefer to stick to my LPS-1s from Uptone Audio.

one thing that I will do is to test two LPS-1s in parallel with my tX-USBultra and see if it improves upon 1. The tX sucks almost all the amps from the LPS-1, once you stick a USB flash in the tX, the LPS-1 shuts down.

3 hours ago, octaviars said:

Paul is offering his new SR4 now just made the payment for it today. 

"A new product introduction available November 2017 is the SR4 power supply. This is a scaled down version of the SR7 single rail supply with voltage selection switch covering the range 5v, 7v, 9v 12v with an output current rating of 2A continuous 20A transient. It uses the same components and energy storage capacitance as the SR7 and it is ideal for powering most of the digital interface equipment currently available like the microRendu, SOtM sMS200, etc."

There is nothing on his website.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, amir57bs said:

I think You and some peoples like you in this forum are trying to help Paul to continue to his business without delivering customer orders.

If Chris do not help me but i could ask him to let me write about My experience with Paul Hynes.

I understand your pain, this is very frustrating. My advice is to start your own thread and talk about your experience with PH.

• 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, rickca said:

Seems like there's an opportunity for a US manufacturer here.  The exchange rate is making it really expensive for US buyers to go to guys like Sean Jacobs of CHC in the UK.

Does the US have talented PSU builders like PH or Sean Jacobs in the ???

Just now, rickca said:

You're probably right.  I think John has many more creative ideas that will result in products of higher value for us.

Exactly! John creates products that are killer performers at reasonable prices that many of us can afford. I don’t see myself spending $3,000 for PSU.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Well I don't want to rule anything out yet gents. 9_9  Compared to the crazy-sophistication of our UltraCap supply, doing a more conventional supply would be a piece of cake.  It mostly is a matter of physical design and doing what makes the most sense.  

Right now, our choke-filtered JS-2, with two user-adjustable, 4-level outputs and current ranging from 5A/5V to 7A/12V covers a lot of applications.  And the deceptively simple choke design competes technically and sonically at the top levels--with the likes of Paul's fine units.

What I would like to understand is what sort of power supply niche you fellows are looking for someone to fill.  If there was consensus on how many rails, what output voltages, and how much current, then at least that would give us parameters to sketch and calculate size, cost, etc.

At the moment I can't tell if some of you are wanting a 10A supply or a 3-4A supply.  One rail or four.  

I mean looking at the Custom Hi-Fi Cables DC3 mentioned, I see a $725 single fixed output supply offering just 1.5 amps and no real details about the regulator circuits and a lot of talk about fancy electrolytic caps. (Though I am sure they are fine units, much better than all the generic stuff that comes out of China.)

Now I see the word "custom" has been mentioned a bunch.  The geekier among you like to be able to specify all sorts of fancy upgrades and extras.  For any busy audio manufacturer--small or large--that way lies madness and I'm not going there.  Look no further than Paul Hynes or--and I don't mean to put him in the same pot at all--Light Harmonic, each with a dozen different customization tweaks.  It is a road to ruin!  Right now we build about 230 JS-2s per year, and I can assure you that while it is a reasonably profitable product, the labor involved (which includes parts procurement, prep, build, test, etc.) is extensive.

So I would much rather figure out what exactly is desired and build one model that covers those bases.  As I see it, with just the JS-2 and the 1.1A UltraCap LPS-1.2 (now 5/7/9/12V), there are two segments we are not now covering:

The 3-4 amp range and the 3+ rail 8-12 amp range.  Those would be two very different beasts, with very different price points.

Please tell us what you are really looking for and also what your applications would be.  Small devices?  Big ATX computers?

Apologies for crashing in on a Paul Hynes thread (I think the world of him and wish him well).  But since UpTone was brought up and since I follow the LPS market closely to try to understand user needs, this seemed like a good place to ask the questions.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex

I will wait for you to let us know where you would like us to post our feedback.