IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who are looking at the SR7 (as opposed to the SR4). The SR7 can be adjusted downwards, at 0.1V increments, by up to 10V. So for example if you're looking to use 3.3V or even 5V, you may as well get 12V for more flexibility. When you adjust the voltage downwards the excess is given off by the regulator as heat so there may be some heat management issues which may necessitate a different chassis like the Streamcom FC9 or FC10, however Paul will calculate these for you and give you the best suggestion for what you're looking for.

On 12/27/2017 at 5:23 AM, kopelli said:

Thanks @tapatrick, that is the email address i have been using. As mentioned, I sent Paul one email in early October and another in late November, asking for status, and got no response. Based on people’s feedback, it seems that Paul always comes through and I am sure the SR7 will be amazing but it’s kind of frustrating to commit all this money upfront, only to be in the dark about progress and ETA - especially in view of the fact that SR4s are being shipped and people are getting updates about those.

If anything, that tells me that the SR4s and SR7s are being manufactured differently, ie assembled and tested by different people. The SR7s are all hand-built by Paul himself, but the SR4s are not.

• 1 month later...

As one of the happy 29, I must admit I knew for a while that Paul was planning to wind down the custom business. I don't blame him- it obviously causes much angst, only applies to a select part of the population, and doesn't apparently make people as wildly happy as a ~$500 PSU.

But then that's what the SR4 represents, which happily for Paul he's been able to get out quickly, efficiently and on time.

Purely from a commercial perspective if I were him I'd also choose that angle as the future of my business :)

I agree on discussing this on another thread. Besides, there's not much we can do to help. What we were doing was simply spec-ing out the models we want. I've seen SR7's with single rail, dual rail, and multi-rail. I've seen dual regulation (two rails for one output). I've seen a 9-19v rail, a 2-12v rail, and all manner in between (heat is the limiting factor). I've seen one trafo per rail, or one really huge trafo for all rails. We also got a choice of which output module to use (S, HD, EHD), and IEC sockets, DC wire leads, etc etc. You can even choose your own custom chassis, which I did. Really what made this product special was that it was a journey. It was a bespoke tailored suit, not off-the shelf (which also makes refunds extremely difficult because someone needs to want your exact build). And as everyone knows half the fun of a bespoke suit is that it's yours and yours alone and nobody has something *quite* like it. I imagine many of us have overlapping opinions, but we probably arrived at them in different ways. I've had a lot of fun exchanging many PMs with different people who had bought their own SR7, and also got advice from Paul over a great many emails. It's been a hoot! But then again I have so many toys to play with that I'm really patient with my audio purchases...

As a product? I guess the real magic sauce lies in Paul's circuit and design, which we have no access to. Another thread is a good start; but Uptone could probably also contact Paul directly to ask if he wants to license his designs out for manufacture. He's done that in the past with other partners, though always with him fronting the business.

• 1 year later...

Personally, I have waited for 16 months and I'm prepared to wait for another 16 months. I like that Paul is willing to open up my slot for others and refund me at any time if I so desire. That actually ensures I don't lose money, and I don't have to go through the hassle of posting on a forum and having to try and sell it myself.

These products aren't for everyone. I value the customisation aspect of things (aka not scaleable), and hence am prepared to wait as a result. Also I can understand why, since they are customised, people can take over builds- this is not like all of us are getting the same product and someone just 'leapfrogged' us.

But these are just my two cents!