IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

31 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@Iving

Congratulations on your SR7T, and I, of course, am not surprised to hear of your positive experiences. I thought I'd suggest one more experiment for you to consider.

Do you have another "good" 12V PSU available - for example, an LPS-1.2, SR4, Farad, etc? If so, use it to power the EtherRegen. This frees up the 12V/12A rail on your SR7T to...

...independently power the CPU via the EPS (8-pin Molex) port on your motherboard. You'll of course need an XLR to 8-pin Molex cable, or an adapter from 5.5x2.1 barrel to 8-pin Molex. Ghent Audio can build you these.

The outcome of this experiment is not necessarily clear. I do know that independently powering the CPU via a separate beefy 12v rail does wonders to the SQ of the server. However, it is also true that the ER benefits greatly from an SR7-quality PSU, so you'd be downgrading the ER PSU relative to your current baseline.

Still, you may find that the net effect is better than what you currently have.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Being a reader of the "novel" thread I was aware of this possibility.

A sig. constraint is building cables. I make my own. They are highly shielded and end up stiff. They are precisely measured to hardware. What I am saying is that once I committed a good length of expensive Mundorf Silver/Gold plus extra materials to making the eR cable terminating in a DC barrel plug, I can't now easily re-deploy the same wire to a molex job for the CPU. I'd have to build another very expensive cable just to do the experiment. (And the first cable would be wasted.) So I kinda had to commit to one or the other - and this is the permutation I chose.

It has crossed my mind to get an SR4T for the eR and use the SR7T 12V for the CPU ... but (we have confidence in the HDPLEX 800W Converter, right, and anyway) I don't want too many such thoughts to cross my mind ... and my hobby fund is depleted!

If ever I do it, I'll be sure to post.

I sure hope to read other SR7 experiences on this Thread.