IGNORED

MicroRendu/Audirvana Plus configuration question

So, i have been running my audio system off of a 10 yer old PC running XP until now.  The only things on this computer are JRiver and Chrome to run Tidal.  I know it's a security risk, but since the only time I ever access the outside world is through the Tidal website, which is my home page, I figured the risk was minimal.  Yesterday a notification came up saying that  Chrome will no longer receive updates, nor will flash.  I think my time with this cheap solution may have come to an end.

We just recently bought a house, so I was not planning on spending money on audio upgrades for a while, but it seems as though it may be necessary.  I've considered all of the available options and I've come up withe the least expensive, option that has the most long term upgrade potential.  I currently have an iMac in another room that accesses the network by wifi only (the house is not wired for ethernet) that will be running Audirvana Plus 3.1, controlled by the iPhone app.  I planned to purchase a refurbished MicroRendu and and iFi power supply that will plug into the router which is near the audio system.

With this setup though, I have a few questions that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to.  I'm sure the answers are there somewhere, but I just haven't found it.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the refurbished MicroRendus?  Anything i should be concerned about?

2. Should I expect any problems with the server being on a wifi connected computer as opposed to via ethernet? I don't have a good alternative right now.

3. I understand that the Audirvana iPhone app can be set to wake the iMac, but what if the iMac is locked (as it usually is).  Will that matter?  If so, do I have to get up and unlock the computer every time i want to do anything?  That would be a bit of a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

1 hour ago, Parkhopper said:

So, i have been running my audio system off of a 10 yer old PC running XP until now.  The only things on this computer are JRiver and Chrome to run Tidal.  I know it's a security risk, but since the only time I ever access the outside world is through the Tidal website, which is my home page, I figured the risk was minimal.  Yesterday a notification came up saying that  Chrome will no longer receive updates, nor will flash.  I think my time with this cheap solution may have come to an end.

We just recently bought a house, so I was not planning on spending money on audio upgrades for a while, but it seems as though it may be necessary.  I've considered all of the available options and I've come up withe the least expensive, option that has the most long term upgrade potential.  I currently have an iMac in another room that accesses the network by wifi only (the house is not wired for ethernet) that will be running Audirvana Plus 3.1, controlled by the iPhone app.  I planned to purchase a refurbished MicroRendu and and iFi power supply that will plug into the router which is near the audio system.

With this setup though, I have a few questions that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to.  I'm sure the answers are there somewhere, but I just haven't found it.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the refurbished MicroRendus?  Anything i should be concerned about?

2. Should I expect any problems with the server being on a wifi connected computer as opposed to via ethernet? I don't have a good alternative right now.

3. I understand that the Audirvana iPhone app can be set to wake the iMac, but what if the iMac is locked (as it usually is).  Will that matter?  If so, do I have to get up and unlock the computer every time i want to do anything?  That would be a bit of a deal breaker.

Jason

On 1. A refurbished microRendu will have the full warranty as a new unit so no issue IMO.

On 2. Connecting the server via WiFi is generally fine as long as the signal strength is good. 

On 3. I'm not sure and best to ask Audirvana directly via their website.

2. As an alternative, perhaps power-line Ethernet adapters ? I haven't tested how SQ may be affected, but if you have no choice .....

3. I'm not sure what you mean by 'locked' and why that is a deal-breaker.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

The iMac is password protected and locks after a minute or two, requiring you to enter the password to open it up again. If in order for the remote to function, iMac must be unlocked, I’d have to get up and go into the next room everytime it locks. That’s why I say it’s a deal breaker. I would hope this isn’t how it works, but better to ask before I buy. 

Ah, ok ... I'll see if I can give that a go at my end ... unless someone comes up with a definitive before that.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

4 minutes ago, Parkhopper said:

The iMac is password protected and locks after a minute or two, requiring you to enter the password to open it up again. If in order for the remote to function, iMac must be unlocked, I’d have to get up and go into the next room everytime it locks. That’s why I say it’s a deal breaker. I would hope this isn’t how it works, but better to ask before I buy. 

I'm sure you realize this but you can change these settings in your System Preferences.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 minutes ago, Parkhopper said:

Yes, but considering that leaving the computer permanently unlocked would be risky from a security standpoint, I’d prefer not to. If someone broke into my house and got access to the computer and the keychain, it would be game over. 

One option would be to set it to a longer interval (such as 15 minutes or an hour) from the Security & Privacy panel :

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 12.19.04 PM.png

You could also try enabling "Wake for network access" on the Energy Saver panel:

59ecf01b749b4_ScreenShot2017-10-22at12_19_30PM.thumb.png.4a7d258a174cdc209b99e0ec42018ef4.png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 hours ago, Parkhopper said:

Jason

Concerning 2, I frequently connect with my server (for my microRendu) by wireless, as opposed to high quality ethernet.  I have  excellent internet performance throughout my house.  I tend to plug into the ethernet just because it seems like it *should* be better.  But honestly the difference, if any, is miniscule.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

@Parkhopper My setup is slightly different from yours ... I run Audirvana on a dedicated, headless MacMini ... but it should work the same otherwise. I tried to replicate what you're asking about in your Q3. I set up 'password required' 1 minute after sleep ... after a few mins, I was still able to access Audirvana on my iPhone (Audirvana has to be running already). When I tried access to the MacMini from the main iMac (via Screen Share) it asked me for a password. So, from my test, this seems to work satisfactorily.

@Parkhopper You can try a Trial of Audirvana 3.1 before committing ... I've been using it in conjunction with a microRendu since launch ... works very well for me. Like most (all ?) software (incl my own !) you may run across 'foibles' but if you run it vanilla, to begin with, you should not run into any problems. Let us know how it goes.

Update:

So, the Microrendu has arrived and everything is up and running.  I haven't had much time to do critical listening, but so far I'm very pleased. I have to say, the biggest problem I'm having right now is with Audirvana.  I'm still in the trial period, and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it.  There are two main issues.  

First, I've had a couple of instances now where it loses the Microrendu and I actually have to reboot the device to get it to appear again.   I haven't had enough time with it to see what might be causing it, but it's annoying to say the least.

Second, the remote is a mess.  I could get past the odd and confusing layout, but the connection issues are driving me nuts.  Every time my phone goes to sleep or I switch apps and then switch back, it takes forever to connect.  I find myself having to swipe away the app and restart multiple times sometimes just to get it to connect.  This is silly.  When I used JRemote to control JRiver on my old computer, it was always connected immediately.  Sadley it doesn't appear that JRiver is an option as a large percentage of my listening is through Tidal and it doesn't seem to support it.

If anyone has any suggestions to other ideas for software that will a) run on a Mac, b) handle both library music and Tidal streaming, and C) isn't Roon (not because I don't want it. It just isn't in the budget right now), I'd love to hear your suggestions.  I am also certainly willing to stick with Audirvana if anyone knows how to solve these connection issues.  From what I'm reading though, I'm not alone in this frustration.

@Parkhopper Good news about the mR ... not so good about your experience with Audirvana.

IME, I haven't had a single occasion when the mR disappeared as the Audirvana audio output device. I occasionally power down (storm or power-cut) but it connects right back up or, at least, appears on the drop-down in Preferences/Audio System.

On your second point, I'll try to replicate your problem at my end but, again, I don't recall any issues when I have used the remote.

So, this is a Tidal playlist ? ... and if you try other playlists ? ... unfortunately, I don't use Tidal anymore, but I'll try some things anyway.

I do know that they have been updating the Remote App in the last few days .... perhaps check you have the latest version on the 'Update' checker ?

Update #2:

So, I've discovered that the issue with Tidal tracks getting stuck on the remote after a certain number have been displayed is not isolated to the favorites, but seems to happen in any area where there are a large number of tracks to list, (ie. Genres).  It seems like it can only pull a certain number of tracks at one time, but then it never goes back to get the rest, so to speak.

Another frustrating issue is that Audirvana has lost visibility of the MicroRendu three times now.  I can pull the device up, see and interact with it on Sonore's website, but Audirvana can't find it.  I've tried closing the program and restarting, but that doesn't help.  Not until I reboot the MicroRendu does it show up as an option.  Now it's fair to say this may be a MicrRendu problem, but its too soon to say.  I'm going to try out the two month Room demo and I'll know more then.

As a side note, I have to force quit Audirvana every time I try to close it.  It won't close on its own. 

I've got to say that with all of the good things I've read about the software to this point, I'm a little surprised to have had all of these troubles.  I'm reserving judgement until I've tested Roon.  If I have a computer, network problem, or even a MicroRendu issue, I'd hate to blame that on the software, but we'll have to see.

Jason

@Parkhopper ... I've tested the your first issue with tracks getting stuck ... I don't have Tidal, but tried displaying long playlists on Qobuz (100 tracks). It's slow, but I think that is down to my relatively poor internet and other activity going on in the house. Eventually all tracks are displayed correctly and stay that way as I scroll up and down. It doesn't 'hang', it's just slow. Using my own library on a NAS to display all tracks (1000's) was pretty much instantaneous.

Issue 2 ... mR drops from Audirvana ... I can't recreate this, other than by switching to another mode on the mR App Switcher. When I switch back to DLNA/MPD, it just shows up again on Audirvana. I'm not convinced it's an Audirvana issue per se. Perhaps @vortecjr could offer some help from an mR perspective... IIRC you got your mR as a refurbished unit direct from Sonore.  Other than that it might be network related, which may also explain your 'hanging' issue.

Issue 3 ... Audirvana requires a force-quit. Yes, that has happened to me, particularly noticeable on 3.1.7. However, it's not an 'every-time' occurrence. I will raise it on the main thread and see if others are experiencing the same. To be honest I get this on Apple Mail as well !!

9 hours ago, Charente said:

@Parkhopper ... I've tested the your first issue with tracks getting stuck ... I don't have Tidal, but tried displaying long playlists on Qobuz (100 tracks). It's slow, but I think that is down to my relatively poor internet and other activity going on in the house. Eventually all tracks are displayed correctly and stay that way as I scroll up and down. It doesn't 'hang', it's just slow. Using my own library on a NAS to display all tracks (1000's) was pretty much instantaneous.

I’ve had similar experiences with local files. No problems at all. On Tidal, I have left my phone open for up to ten minutes and it never advanced at all.  It always goes the same number of tracks and stops. The crazy thing is when my wife downloaded the remote app on her phone, it stopped in exactly the same spot. Weird. 

Issue 2 ... mR drops from Audirvana ... I can't recreate this, other than by switching to another mode on the mR App Switcher. When I switch back to DLNA/MPD, it just shows up again on Audirvana. I'm not convinced it's an Audirvana issue per se. Perhaps @vortecjr could offer some help from an mR perspective... IIRC you got your mR as a refurbished unit direct from Sonore.  Other than that it might be network related, which may also explain your 'hanging' issue.

Issue 3 ... Audirvana requires a force-quit. Yes, that has happened to me, particularly noticeable on 3.1.7. However, it's not an 'every-time' occurrence. I will raise it on the main thread and see if others are experiencing the same. To be honest I get this on Apple Mail as well !!

I won’t really know for sure if hardware is involved until I try Roon. If it happens there too, I think we’ll have our answer. 

I suggest you also repeat your issues on the official Audirvana 3.1 thread ... Damien (Audirvana's owner) keeps an eye on that and may not see this thread.

Roon, from what I know, is a different beast and uses it's own protocol ... and a different mode on the mR. It may reveal similar or different issues on your setup. It will be interesting to know what you discover.

Final update: 

I'm now 4 days into my 2 month Roon trial and I already know there is no going back.  Despite the fact that $500 is way more than I wanted to spend right now, it is just too good to ever let go of.  Besides the fact that all of my previous issues with lost remote connections and missing MicroRendus are now a thing of the past, I am amazed at just how well the mac app and the remote app are laid out.  Everything is just where I would expect it to be.   

Beyond that though, the discovery and filtering is pure genius.  My wife and I are listening to more music now than ever.  My wife, who is also a musicologist, is so enamored, she wants to get a job with Roon. Overall, I have nothing but praise for the MicroRendu and Roon combination.  Thanks for everyone's input!

Jason  

Great news @Parkhopper ! Pleased to hear you have resolved the problems you were having. When (if) Roon support Qobuz, I may consider it, altho' the price of the licence and decent hardware to enable it to run optimally is also a stumbling block at the moment.