IGNORED

How to get best TIDAL sound on iMac

I started out in the same way, iMac/Tidal player ... my next step was to use Audirvana ... IMO it has better sound quality than the Tidal player and supports your Tidal account. Beyond that would be outputting the sound to an external DAC & Amp that will pair with your speakers.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

You mean MQA ? Audirvana supports MQA but I think not from Tidal. I recall reading something that one could only get Tidal MQA through their own player (at present) ... I could be wrong here... I've moved to Qobuz now.  I found Tidal HiFi perfectly acceptable through Audirvana ...  not free, but only €64 ... https://audirvana.com/ ...

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

To be honest, I would question whether you would notice the difference between HiFi & MQA on Tidal using the iMac sound system ... you may need to go to an external Dac/Amp (via USB) that supports MQA to really get the benefit (if any).

Agree with @Musicophile   IIRC The only other way to control Tidal remotely is via Roon, which is also a good player, but requires more setup considerations and more expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.10.2017 at 3:46 PM, Charente said:

I've moved to Qobuz now. 

Hi Charente (or others),

did you compare the Redbook-SQ of Quobuz and Tidal, both played with Audirvana?

Some say Qobuz is superior to Tidal.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

@matthias ... I can't say that I personally noticed any difference between Tidal/Qobuz SQ ... a more reliable streaming experience, yes ... perhaps because I'm in France ? The other reason I moved is that it seems to me that Qobuz has more European Jazz albums in its catalogue for my preferred genre of music.