IGNORED

Building a PC to improve SMS-200 Ultra

28 minutes ago, Advieira said:

Do you know if its possible to install Rock in a fanless NUC Celeron?||
Many serious audiophile devices, like Aurender, uses simple and small motherboard fanless and not too powerful processor.

Fanless NUC Celeron is possible with Akasa or many other solutions out there.  Since you already have sMS-200ultra, there is no need to skimp power with Rock.  Get an Intel NUC i5 instead as a minimum to take advantage of Rock convolution and other goodies.  You can use a fanless case with NUC i5 and i7 with Akasa.  This is what I have.

Talks of Celeron, Jetway, and low power CPU is for rendering only which the sMS-200ultra already has.  sMS-200ultra uses a low power dual core ARM processor.  Celeron is not enough to run Rock.  If you look at the Nucleus options, the minimum CPU is i3.

On my Celeron Jetway NUC, using Windows 10 Pro and JRiver 64 bit, I can play hi resolution video and audio flawlessly.  Also with Windows 10 I can use the proprietary DAC driver for best SQ results, far better than a Linux generic version, which is what your stuck with on a renderer.  Also you can't do video with a renderer.   JRiver loads audio and video to memory, decompressed, per track for playback.  JRiver can be set to limit any background processes taking place while in operation. 

Why would I want to limit my format and software capabilities with a proprietary software renderer when SQ is as good or better on a server based sCLK-EX solution, according to Romaz, who has tested both with the sCLK-EX solutions?

The only reason I could think of is because that is what I have already built as my system before I was aware of this other solution.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, Advieira said:

Do you know if its possible to install Rock in a fanless NUC Celeron?||
Many serious audiophile devices, like Aurender, uses simple and small motherboard fanless and not too powerful processor.

Yes, you sure can do this with all native support. However if you want to use up sampling it will be different story.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

3 hours ago, octaviars said:

Can you elaborate on this part when you use ROCK?

Nothing to do in ROCK. it is just an bridge mode with static IP.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You lost me.  Isn't that what we are talking about, doing a mod on a mobo with the sCLK-EX?  So you have done this mod before?  I know Roy and I have, didn't know anyone else has?  It made a huge difference modifying the mobo with the sCLK-EX and clean power.  So big, that, I wouldn't add any fixers to the server stream, go straight to the DAC, bit perfect. 

Yes, been there done that. I have the US distribution done the mod for me on Sotm. since they are really skilled. I also done it compare with different module like Pink Faun's and also compare all together with SGM 2015 as well. 

What i can conclude is even with the clock an True LPS is a must for this setup. I mean true ATX LPS. without that it is just like a ferrari feeding them with propane. 

4 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Yes, been there done that. I have the US distribution done the mod for me on Sotm. since they are really skilled. I also done it compare with different module like Pink Faun's and also compare all together with SGM 2015 as well. 

What i can conclude is even with the clock an True LPS is a must for this setup. I mean true ATX LPS. without that it is just like a ferrari feeding them with propane. 

What ATX LPS?

8 minutes ago, ismewor said:

True LPS is a must for this setup. I mean true ATX LPS. without that it is just like a ferrari feeding them with propane. 

This is a must for any audio component.  A very good LPS feed.  I just don't mention it all the time because it is already a well excepted fact. 

There are no true high quality ATX LPS that I'm aware of, definitely not HDPlex.  Best just to keep the mobo as small as possible for better impedance and feed it a quality DC LPS.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, GUTB said:

Which sadly makes it worthless.

Worthless to some, gold to others that don't give a hoot about upsampling, since bit perfect has already been shown to be the superior streaming format for Chord DAC's.

2 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

This isn't something new. The SOtM sCLK has been around since 2012 or so.  CAPS users tried this before.  That's why I am wondering why everybody is going back to CAPS.

Not the sCLK-EX.  Your confusing the older clocking board with the newest release.  Which Ismewor may also be doing?

8 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

I am talking about the process of adding a clock board in a generic mobo.  The EX is just an upgrade of the std sCLK.  It's been done before. 

Just an upgrade?  What does that mean?  It's no small upgrade in performance.  There is only one sCLK-EX board with 4 optional points.

It's all been done before????  No it hasn't,  because the sCLK-EX is a big leap in performance over it's predecessor. 

Also, we have much better technological improvements in mobos, low power, low impedance, performance.  Big difference from 3 to 5 years ago.

In fact, I would pick the sCLK-EX as computer audiophile product of the year.  It's versatility and exception to simplify and bring about superior SQ is second to none this year.

We're digressing to the OP's subject.  OP is asking for mac mini alternative.  You are talking about mac mini + sms-200ultra replacement.  2 different things. 

The sCLK-EX, the CA product of the year, has been done in a mobo and that is the sMS-200ultra which the OP already has!

11 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

We're digressing to the OP's subject.  OP is asking for mac mini alternative.  You are talking about mac mini + sms-200ultra replacement.  2 different things. 

The sCLK-EX has been done in a mobo and the is the sMS-200ultra which the OP already has!

I gave three alternative solutions with the sCLK-EX, one of which was a total replacement of the mac mini (which the op asked for) and the sms-200Ultra.  The op asked for more information concerning this option to replace both and sell the sms-200Ultra.   Which I am obliging in answer.

One of the suggestions was to keep the sms-200 Ultra and use the 2 leftover points on the sCLK-EX with a new server build.

32 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

This thread is getting trolled.  Clearly the subject is sMS-200ultra and Roon - both of which you do not have.  Just like any other threads, you wave your Jetway flag and say it is better than anything because you and Roy said so.  I thought you had me on ignore???

Clearly you don't have a clue and now attack after shown the light.  You are on ignore, I am just answering now so that others might not be misled by your improper conclusions. 

Roon works fine with my sCLK-EX server.  It's what Romaz/Roy uses with his.  There are no limitations on which low power mobo you use with the sCLK-EX.  In fact, the sCLK-EX, I am sure, would be great for a high power mobo, upsampling with HQP.  Just not my cup of tea.

Op, others, if seeking additional information go to the thread where all this is discussed already for further clarification.  I am done here.

No matter how good the PC is going to be, the containment of noise is the highest priority. The PC should adequately drive the software and that’s it. 

Allow for LAN isolators, linear supplies for the PC is a start. Anything that can avoid conductive emissions. Pay particular emphasis on bonding all metal sides of the PC, use braids and not wires. 

Alternatively, for USB many galvanic isolation remedies are available now.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Which sadly makes it worthless.

Some think DSD512 is great and some don't. Some DACs do it well some don't. To say every other format but DSD512 is worthless is short sighted. One could easily say vinyl is superior and you see what road we go down with that kind of attitude. 

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

I am talking about the process of adding a clock board in a generic mobo.  The EX is just an upgrade of the std sCLK.  It's been done before. 

Who has done it before? I know of no other instance where USB system clocks designed for audio through filter and noise improvements, were used to replace motherboard clocks. 

If you can point me in that direction with a link or reference I would seriously like to see it. 

It was done back in the CAPS Zuma days few years ago somewhere from tirnahifi if I remember.  More recently, it's done on sms-200ultra of course but then it becomes a question of the OS - Windows, Rock, Linux, etc.  I think Roy preferred Windows over Linux but that was before Rock is where it is now.

41 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

It was done back in the CAPS Zuma days few years ago somewhere from tirnahifi if I remember.  More recently, it's done on sms-200ultra of course but then it becomes a question of the OS - Windows, Rock, Linux, etc.  I think Roy preferred Windows over Linux but that was before Rock is where it is now.

CAPS Zuma used the tx-USBexp.  USB clocks were used and may have been improved on the PCI board, but not on the motherboard.  No system clocks were replaced.

The sms product line is not the same.  It's an endpoint.  If it could host the application processing the music that would be one thing, but it's not.

I don't know what Roy's preference of Windows has anything to do with this, but ROCK isn't any further today than it was two weeks ago when Roy posted last, or even a month or two ago.  That digresses from the question of whether any motherboard has been built with audiophile clocks.