IGNORED

Building a PC to improve SMS-200 Ultra

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade my transport/source system.

Actually, it is MAC-MINI(no mod) > SMS200 Ultra (SPS500) >  Auralic Vega.

I want to change the mac mini for a mini PC optmized to best transport and roon server.

Look at my choices:

Chassis: Streacom F1C Evo Mini ITX

Motherboard: Jetway NF591-3160

Memory: Crucial 16gb 1333

Boot storage: Corsair Force MP500 120gb M.2

Cache storage: SSD Crucial 240gb Sata 2.5

Audiophile Upgrade
Jcat Femto Net Card
Sotm Sata filter
Roon OS (ROCK)

So, this is my question: how can I find a good power supply to its system? I don't want to pay more than I need, because it's a simple computer for audio (12v jack) and net card (5v jack).

What do you think?
Using this system, could I have a BIG upgrade in SQ sending data to SMS-200 Ultra?

Thanks
Andre

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

If your into streaming from online only, then I would also get a different mobo, smaller, like one of the Jetway NUC's that has two lan ports. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX)
How you connected a SCLK-EX board to a mini-enclosed-nuc?

10 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Have SOtM do it.  It will cost you about $100 to $150 back and forth on shipping.  $50 bucks per sCLK-EX point installed, 2 in your case.  $50 per installation, 2 in your case.  If master clock input wanted add another $150?

Let us suppose I will sell the Sms200 ultra.

What pieces/devices exactly you recommend me to buy for build a transport better than the Ultra?

6 hours ago, TopQuark said:

You don't have to having an sMS-200ultra since your mac mini will only be acting as a file and/or a Roon server.

Sorry, I didn’t understood this part. In the topic “the novel to massive...” that guy romaz uses a mac mini with direct connection to sms200,  he don’t?

3 hours ago, TopQuark said:

Rarely do you hear an OS created just for audiophile audio and Rock is one of the few and something to take advantage of if you are already in the Roon ecosystem.

Do you know if its possible to install Rock in a fanless NUC Celeron?||
Many serious audiophile devices, like Aurender, uses simple and small motherboard fanless and not too powerful processor.

Wow, a lot of information and debate.

I think I will keep the Ultra (SPS500) and change my mac mini for a quieter and small PC. If I will build it or buy it I dont know yet. SLCK-EX is out of question, I´m not able to install it as I live in Brazil.

Have anyone of you guys tried that cheap chinese htpc fanless i5? Like that https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-Skylake-Fanless-Mini-PC-Win-10-Barebone-i7-6500U-i5-6200U-i3-6100U-Intel/32777052321.html?

I wonder to know if it can be a good transport, better than a mac mini at least.

2 hours ago, ismewor said:

I would not. In audio world what you pay is half of what you get, because your mobo must be noisy than it doesn’t matter what kind of LPS you feed in. I’ll bet a used Mac mini sure better.

Someone tell me there´s no difference between chines htpc and sonic transporter i5.

2 hours ago, TopQuark said:

Any reason why Intel NUC is not an option? 

Because I suppose a NUC is not much different to a Mac Mini in SQ when used as Roon Core. 

My concerns are: what can I do in my transport/server to get better quality in the chain TRANSPORT/SERVER > ULTRA > DAC.

I really thought that Jcat Femto Net Card Lan was the ultimate key.

• 2 months later...

First I thank you guys for the informations. But some things have changed after so many informations in the meantime.

Some audiophiles (like Hans Beekhuyzen) claims the way SMS-200Ultra works (as Roon Endpoint) makes it unaffected by the quality of any Roon Core (server). And it really seems reasonable argument as the ultra (as endpoint) is not a filter but actually the renderer or " the thing that make sound", in the words of roonlabs website. On the other hand, they told cables and lan isolator before the SMS-200ultra can bring improvements.

I really would like to know how modify my macmini and sms200ultra to connect the clocks to ethernet and cpu mobo. I think this is the best advice on this topic. But I don´t. 

And I dont think a NUC a big improvement over a mac mini, based on the statements above.

If instead abandoning my mac mini I use my actual budget (1.5k) to improve the chain between my Router to Vega? What would be the best move?

Today:

tp-link router>BJC Cat6>macmini thunderbolt port (not bridged, but internet shared)>macmini ethernet port>Qed Performance Ethernet Graffite>SMS-200Ultra>Audioquest Carbon>Vega

3 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can add external clocks to the Mac Mini.  The best improvement would probably be the linear power supply modification from Uptone.  It's very easy to do, though their instruction sheet makes it seem a bit more complicated than it is. ;-)

I do not have courage to open my mac mini. :)

4 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

And no, a NUC probably wouldn't be an improvement, but a simple DIY server might be.  You can get a DC-powered motherboard for around $150, a case for $30, memory and an SSD for about $120, and then you could add the clocks and perhaps an upgraded ethernet card.  Just a thought.

I cannot add the clocks, cause I have no skill or technical knowledge to do it.

I´m looking for a "plug and play" solution. lol

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

I would recommend the following chain:

• MacMini > modded Netgear GS105 (your choice) > sMS-200ultra > modded tX-USBhubEX > DAC

Thank you for recommendations.

i’m using direct connection as suggested by romaz, though I couldnt create a bridge to thunderbolt port and I just shared the internet (I suppose the quality should be the same, or not?).

So, my macmini works like the switch, comnected direct to sms200 ultra.

Dont I will lose the improvements of direct connection if I use a switch instead?

On 12/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, austinpop said:

I’ll leave it to the OP @Advieira to decide. 

I've talked with Kamal, from SOTM USA, he said can do all its stuff for US$ 1.050 (modding the sms200ultra 2 clock and master clock + sotm switch mod + TX-USB-hubEx mod + Y cable). And I'm inclined to do all, but let me ask you more questions:

- SMS200ultra cleans and clock the signal from server. Is there sense in clock it again? My first concerns was about to clean the signal prior the sms200ultra, in the server or in the mid of server and sms200ultra.

I mean, that US$ 1k more would bring real sound quality returns? I was very impressed with the sms200ultra from the first moment I plugged it between my mac mini and the dac.

I'm already using the direct connections suggested by Romaz (bridging the ethernet/thunderbolt ports). 

I wonder if it is possible to have a new clear and noticeable increase in sound quality as I had with the SMS200ultra.

54 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Please actually read the links I sent you in my previous post here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37329-building-a-pc-to-improve-sms-200-ultra/?do=findComment&comment=758767

If you don't, you are missing the context.

Ok, I read a few pages and I´m convinced.

A last question:

- Are my books refined enough for show the benefits this new upgrade?

My system today is: Mac mini>SMS200-ultra(SPS500)> Auralic Vega>Electrocompaniet ECI-5Mkii > Monitor audio Pl100

Within this chain of clocks, is it worth the money to mod a mac mini for a Linear PSU (uptone)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, austinpop said:

Since you have heard the improvement wrought by the sMS-200ultra, think of the modded switch and tX-USB as "more of the same."

Please actually read the links I sent you in my previous post here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37329-building-a-pc-to-improve-sms-200-ultra/?do=findComment&comment=758767

If you don't, you are missing the context.

Hi Austin, I´m modding the sms200ultra 2 and buying Tx-USBhubex mod and switch modded, just like you said. I will order too a Y cable for my SPS-500 power Ultra and Tx-Usbhub.

After doing that, do you think it would be worth modifying the mac mini with uptone MMK kit and boot for a SD 2000x card? or will it be silly and not worth the investment? To power the mini I was thinking a new SPS-500, which can deliver 12V, 5A continuous. Or maybe a chinese toroidal LPSU. But I do not know if after doing all clock and switch and usb mods, a LPSU for a mac mini can improve anything audible.

What do you think?