IGNORED

Help please for hearing deficit

My dear wife has requested I get her help for her tinitus/hearing deficit. She has trouble making out voices on TV particularly when there's music in the background. I have researched a bit and found some wireless Bluetooth audio transmitter/receiver sytems that seem to do what we want. Anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, coot said:

My dear wife has requested I get her help for her tinitus/hearing deficit. She has trouble making out voices on TV particularly when there's music in the background. I have researched a bit and found some wireless Bluetooth audio transmitter/receiver sytems that seem to do what we want. Anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Counter to what most people will tell you, the higher the quality of the Audio reproduction, the easier it is to hear the differences. A decent quality audio system using speakers may sound markedly better to someone with hearing damage than via the tiny and usually" tinny" sounding TV's speakers. Are you able to export Audio from your TV to your music system ?

First try doing this before spending any real money !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1. Music system is in another room.

2. TV sound is excellent. TV is 58" Panasonic monitor 12 ft from chair. AVR is Denon 200W/ch into Legacy floor standers. SQ is not the problem.

Think I'll research Bluetooth audio devices some more. She uses an iPod regularly for music and likes the earpods so that part is done.

She has been seen by an audiologist who specializes in Tinnitus and she's pretty well been able to mentally push aside the sound. In day-to-day life she is completely normal except for the watching TV thing. I automatically turn up the volume 6 db or so. It's mostly movies that are the problem when voices drop away or actors are whispering - many times against background music.

Thanks, guys.

This was mentioned on a different thread:

http://aftermasterpro.com

It seems to raise the volume of the frequencies used by the human voice.

Not "audiophile approved" but may be useful for her purposes:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-aftermaster-pro-and-why-its-bullsh-t™.806030/

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 2017-10-18 at 5:44 PM, coot said:

1. Music system is in another room.

2. TV sound is excellent. TV is 58" Panasonic monitor 12 ft from chair. AVR is Denon 200W/ch into Legacy floor standers. SQ is not the problem.

Think I'll research Bluetooth audio devices some more. She uses an iPod regularly for music and likes the earpods so that part is done.

She has been seen by an audiologist who specializes in Tinnitus and she's pretty well been able to mentally push aside the sound. In day-to-day life she is completely normal except for the watching TV thing. I automatically turn up the volume 6 db or so. It's mostly movies that are the problem when voices drop away or actors are whispering - many times against background music.

Thanks, guys.

If you now have 2 channel. Try with a center channel. Most dialogue is sent to the center and having a center channel makes dialogue more clear.

Having a separate center channel speaker and a receiver/processor that can do 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever correctly can really help.  Dialogue comes out the center speaker, and on many receivers, you have the option of simply raising the volume output to that center speaker relative to all the surrounding ones, at least a subset of which supply the musical scores or whatever.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:44 AM, coot said:

It's mostly movies that are the problem when voices drop away or actors are whispering - many times against background music.

Many movies have sound levels well below typical program levels, especially the ads !

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157487/

Ginkgo Forte helped considerably for me when I used it some years back. I found it very difficult to get to sleep at night due to the Tinnitus before using the Gingko Forte.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

RS 5000 may help your wife. Good luck!

One thing that can make it difficult to hear voices clearly, especially then music also is playing in the background is the placement of the sofa. I would say that the main problem in many households is the incorrect placement of the sofa, which can really ruin SQ big time. In most living rooms the sofa is placed very closed to the rear wall, which resonant and diffuse the sound. No matter how good gear you have sitting to close to the rear wall never sound very good. The optimal (depending on room size) is to sit 1,5-2 meter from the rear wall and have some room absorbents/diffuser on the rear wall. It is not always practically possible to sit so far from the rear wall, but most can place the sofa at least 20-30 centimeter from the back wall and get some nice looking absorbents/diffuser and gain much better sound. The difference in SQ without all the reflections is staggering and almost equal the impact good placement of speakers has IMO.      

• 4 months later...

just keep in mind that many bluetooth devices will introduce latency in the audio stream, which can cause them to be out of sync with the mouth movements of the subjects in the video content you're watching. 

I believe some of the newer BT tech has a low latency codec that may alleviate this, so look for that if you go the BT route.  

I also agree with @Ralf11 about the compression.  Many TVs have settings that allow for "clear speech".  What this does essentially is use DSP to put a multi-band compression on the audio stream that focuses on highlighting the speech area of the frequency spectrum.  Some of the algorithms are implemented well.  My sharp TV does a pretty good job at it.  

On 10/17/2017 at 11:23 PM, coot said:

This might help. Read more here.