IGNORED

Radio Paradise Update

On 6/2/2019 at 6:58 AM, Cebolla said:

Odd that a separate mechanism is required to obtain the metadata to identify the current track being played, given that the OGG FLAC streams should themselves be able to carry the appropriate metadata - presumably one of the reasons for Icecast servers having to use the OGG container for FLAC streams, instead of just pure FLAC.

Here's an example of a similar OGG FLAC internet radio stream (tested using  foobar2000, VLC & MusicBee players on Windows) that does contain the appropriate metadata and therefore no need for an API:

AI-Radio

http://ai-radio.org/44.flac

Interesting. I asked Bill why he's using an Ogg container, and he responded that it's necessary to relay via Icecast. I haven't bugged him about this further, as APIs seem to be the way he does the infrastructure for all his applications, and at this point Michael has it working in LMS. Michael has asked us to test via LMS Favorites for now, but I expect he'll add both streams to the plugin soon because it's working great!

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

I've been streaming via LMS Favorites using this link http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac  since it was originally posted, which is the main mix and it's been working ok. The first couple days it would randomly stop, maybe once every couple hours, but would start again when I clicked play button again. I haven't noticed it stopping for the last couple days. No metadata at all unfortunately.

Flac streaming is a nice improvement soundwise over the 320 ogg stream I had been using previously, but the ogg stream always played back flawlessly with full metadata and cover artwork. With the new flac stream, I just use Radio Parasdise app if I need to know what's playing. This is all through Squeezelite/LMS with iPeng for remote control.

1 hour ago, lasker98 said:

I've been streaming via LMS Favorites using this link http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac  since it was originally posted, which is the main mix and it's been working ok. The first couple days it would randomly stop, maybe once every couple hours, but would start again when I clicked play button again. I haven't noticed it stopping for the last couple days. No metadata at all unfortunately.

Flac streaming is a nice improvement soundwise over the 320 ogg stream I had been using previously, but the ogg stream always played back flawlessly with full metadata and cover artwork. With the new flac stream, I just use Radio Parasdise app if I need to know what's playing. This is all through Squeezelite/LMS with iPeng for remote control.

Try exiting Squeezelite and iPeng, waiting a bit, then retrying. Perhaps also restart LMS. Then the new metadata API should be synced up. This is working well for me via Favorites, and I expect Michael will add it to the plugin soon.

Edit: also update the RP plugin. I think Michael delivered the change in there, even though these two things aren't obviously related, and I just noticed you may not have done that.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

51 minutes ago, left channel said:

Try exiting Squeezelite and iPeng, waiting a bit, then retrying. Perhaps also restart LMS. Then the new metadata API should be synced up. This is working well for me via Favorites, and I expect Michael will add it to the plugin soon.

Edit: also update the RP plugin. I think Michael delivered the change in there, even though these two things aren't obviously related, and I just noticed you may not have done that.

I did everything you suggested and I now have metadata and album cover art displayed. I have no idea what step did the trick but I was on an older RP plugin version in LMS. I did the update to v2.4.0. along with your other suggestions.

This is great! Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, left channel said:

Bill just confirmed on the RP forum that if the "stream" subdomain isn't properly redirecting you for some reason, we can substitute one of these direct links: "icy-4 and icy-5 will directly call our servers in London, icy-6 or icy-8 in Texas, icy-7 in Virginia". So for example, http://icy-4.radioparadise.com/mellow-flac for the Mellow Mix via a London server. 

Thanks for the tip. I’m listening to icy-6 as I type this. 

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, so happy I just go poke around every once in awhile. This afternoon (after the US Women's soccer match) will be devoted to getting RP set up in Roon.

I have to say that the 320kps stream is just fine for a couple of our less fancy systems - using JRiver streaming, I've compared the 320 to the FLAC streams and on a couple of systems the difference isn't audible. Kudos to their 320 stream are in order, because on those systems, I CAN hear the difference between streaming compressed files versus 16/44 from inside my own firewall. 

Between RP and Qobuz, I could live quite happily without buying another album. I couldn't say that until now.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:30 PM, lasker98 said:

With the new flac stream, I just use Radio Parasdise app if I need to know what's playing. This is all through Squeezelite/LMS with iPeng for remote control.

+1. When I'm working, I've got the RP app up on my laptop, sound off and paused, while I listen to RP through my audio system. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...