IGNORED

Problems with Roon and SoTM sms200Ultra Help

Hi everybody

I need some help from the someone who has proficiency in using Roon, NUCs and SoTM sms200Ultra.

While I'm waiting for a new streamer (Lumin U1) I tried to test my friend's SoTM sms200Ultra in my setup.

Unfortunately despite many trials I was not able to make it works.

Problem is: Roon Remote does not see the SoTM among the network peripherals to be enabled in the Audio settings menu.

I use a NUC i7 connected to a router modem Netgear D6300. To the router I connected the SoTM sms200Ultra which is connected through usb cable to the usb input of a Totaldac d1-server.

What drives me crazy is:

- the same infrastructure worked flawlessly with Lumin S1 instead of SotM200Ultra

- also Totaldac d1-server worked finely with Roon if directly connected to the router

- at my friend's place the SoTM200Ultra works perfectly using different hardware or evenusing the same Totaldac d1-server, same router and same NUC

- since my friend use an Aqvox audiophile switch to improve performance of the network we introduced the same switch in my network in order to have perfectly equale systems

Roon is updated to the last build

Totaldac disk image is the lst one available

RoonServer is actively running on SotM Ehansu webpage

Can anyone help me? Situation is pretty frustrating...:-(

thanks 

Fabio

Hi Fabio, 

If you can enter the Eunhasu web gui, I think the problem might be caused by the USB connection. The sMS-200ultra can be visible as a Roon ready once the USB DAC(DDC) is connected and recognized normally. So I think you'd better to check check the USB connection to your DAC has been made correctly. what DAC you used? and what USB cable you used?

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

On 24 ottobre 2017 at 8:05 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi Fabio, 

If you can enter the Eunhasu web gui, I think the problem might be caused by the USB connection. The sMS-200ultra can be visible as a Roon ready once the USB DAC(DDC) is connected and recognized normally. So I think you'd better to check check the USB connection to your DAC has been made correctly. what DAC you used? and what USB cable you used?

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

Hi MAy

You're possibly right about the USB connection causing the problem, because Totaldac d1-server unit apparently does not look up with the SoTM 200Ultra. 

As a matter of fact the d1-server once connected through Totaldac USB cable to the SoTM shows on the display no signs of recognizing the SoTM, while when I connect the d1-server to the router directly (with its Roon Ready features activated) it immediately recognizes an input signal.

My DAC is a Totaldac d1-six connected va AES/EBU to the d1-server so it should not be the one generating problem since it is not directly connected to the SoTM

USB connection is made correctly, I double checked several times. In Eunhasu web gui was visible as a Roon ready device

Regards

Fabio

3 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

I'm wondering the totaldac d1 server can be used as a sole DAC function alone?

Totaldac d1-server cannot be used as a sole DAC alone. Signal processed (reclocked) through it has to be feed to the d1 series DAC (second chassis) 

It has a USB input, as correctly stated by jcn3, and as I said my friend, owner of the SoTM SMS200Ultra I was trying to test, has exactly my same Totaldac configuration (d1-server+d1-six DAC, two chassis connected via AES/EBU), my same router etc....and in its system everything works finely!!!

Thanks

Fabio

On 27/10/2017 at 7:36 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi Fabio, 

What power supply you use for sMS-200ultra? and can you change the USB cable to the normal USB cable?

Thank you.

Best regards, May

Hi May

i used the mBPS-d2s battery power supply

What dou you mean for ‘normal USB cable’? Totaldac USB cable is a normal and indeed good USB cable.

However we tried different USB cable (Audioquest) and also keep in mind that the same configuration (USB cable included) works finely at my friend’s home...

Regards

Fabio

That sounds really strange, the normal USB cable is not a craft cable, and conclude with +5V USB power signal line , the price doesn't matter, but just a normal USB Cable to use everywhere...

The mBPS-d2s is sufficient to power to the sMS-200ultra, but if your sMS-200ultra is 12V version, it won't be sufficient.

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

4 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

That sounds really strange, the normal USB cable is not a craft cable, and conclude with +5V USB power signal line , the price doesn't matter, but just a normal USB Cable to use everywhere...

The mBPS-d2s is sufficient to power to the sMS-200ultra, but if your sMS-200ultra is 12V version, it won't be sufficient.

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

May 

I really appreciate you trying to help, but unfortunately your comments seem to go in the wrong direction....

As I wrote you above several times, sMS-200Ultra (the specific unit I'm trying to test in my system) works perfectly with the Totaldac USB cable (exactly the same USB cable used successfully by my friend) and the mBPS-d2s (and the same router and the same model of Totaldac server/dac, with also same firmware) at my friend's home.

Therefore there is no use in commenting the characteristics of the USB cable or the appropriateness of the voltage of the mBPS-d2s...

It easier to say that you, like me, do not have any clue about the malfunctioning

However thanks for the effort

Fabio