IGNORED

Sonos One speaker

I haven't seen people talking about this maybe Sonos is not considered audiophile?

I've kept an eye on Sonos but haven't bought other than trying a Playbar and Sub which I returned because the sound quality wasn't great for the price and I don't think they are very flexible in hardware or software.  I didn't want to use their proprietary app and especially wanted Airplay.  I also like real stereo seperation.

I guess it took poor financials to get Sonos to wake up but they seem to be making a lot of moves to open up lately.

Alexa voice control

Airplay 2

Direct from streaming services to Speaker without needing the Sonos app.

Roon now works directly with Sonos which is big for me.

My living room speakers are Kef LS50W's but I didn't want to spend $2200 for bedroom speakers.  I have been using Vanatoo Ones on IsoAcoustics stands there.  I have a 3rd Gen Apple TV connected to the optical port on the speakers for Airplay and an Echo dot for voice control.  So lots of devices and cables but it sounds pretty darn good even though the Kef's can spoil you for anything else.  

I thought I was going to replace all that with two Homepods but I just preordered two Sonos Ones.  I'm guessing they won't sound quite as good as the Vanatoo's or the Homepods but they will be much more flexible and tidy.  I'm pretty deep into Alexa and decided I don't want to do Siri and HomeKit because Alexa really seems to have the momentum.  The Songs Ones are supposed to have slightly more bass than the Play 1's but otherwise similar sound quality.  It's certainly good enough for that room.

I'm looking forward to getting these and controlling them smoothly with Roon but having direct connect via Airplay 2 as well.

Anyone else getting these?

I advise against this.  We have decent but modest speakers at home (B&W CM-1s with a REL sub), and like you did not want to spend thousands for our second system.  Our non-hifi friends, like most of the world, enjoy the Sonos One we have at our lake house.  But I can't stand it.  Sound is harsh, boxy, compressed.

A better solution would some (almost any) used speakers and amp from your local hifi shop paired with a Dragonfly and your current laptop.  I think you'd be good for well under $1K.

Thanks for the comment.

Just one point is you have a Sonos Play 1 as the Sonos One is the new speaker and isn't out yet. Apparently they sound much the same except the Sonos One has a little more bass.

Do you have just the one?  I'm going to have two for real stereo separation which is a requirement for me.

I'm wanting to clean up my Vanatoo One speakers, stands, Apple TV, Echo Dot setup with two devices so I'm trying to keep it simple.  

Also connecting an Echo to my speakers by RCA or bluetooth really lowers the SQ so I want to avoid that too.  

If Sonos was offering the Play 5 with Alexa built in I would have bought two of those instead.  

I also use Alexa for lights, fans' etc., so having that built in to a speaker would be really nice.

I'm going to A/B the new speakers with my current setup and am prepared to return the Play One's if the sound quality isn't good enough.

I do not know which Sonos we have.  It is a single speaker I bought it 2-3 years ago, originally for my wife's craft room.  Had it sounded OK, I would have bought a second for the stereo set up.  I don't think you will need very long to decide.  The Sonos is really cool in a whole bunch of ways, but its sound is definitely mass market and not comparable to what a CA reader might describe as an entry-level system.

On a related topic--I have not heard the Klipsch Three, but Chris loved it.  So I'm guessing the sound is a step or two above the Sonos:

Yes I'm prepared to return the set if I don't like it.

The Klipsch is horribly ugly but is interesting in other ways.

I typically don't like the Klipsch sound much though. 

Alexa built in to the speaker is a big draw for me and really the entire reason I am considering the Sonos over what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Sonos One yesterday. Two sets in stereo pair. They are bedroom speakers and replace a lot if other things. Vanatoo One speakers, iso-acoustics stands, Apple TV with optical for AirPlay, echo dot and all the cables for all of that. 

Between Trueplay and modifying the EQ settings I got to acceptable sq. The Vanatoos sound better but all that equipment and cabling was a mess. 

Living room speakers are Kef LS50W’s so not even close but the Sonos is fine for speakers I only use at night. 

Roon works great with them. 

I use Sonos for internet radio.  I do not expect it to sound as good as my main system, it is just nice music for the kitchen.  I find it easy to use which is important. I have no complaints re the Sonos sound bar.  Better than most "big box" all in one systems.  

I do not believe it is wise to have an active microphone (Alexa) in the house,  I have read 1984.   

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I require real stereo separation which no soundbar gives you.

Sonos needs to get it together and release home theater devices with HDMI for a start.  For the cost the value proposition of the Playbar and Play base are very low against their competitors that offer dramatically more features.  Look at Yamaha for a very good example of this.  Look at all the issues with 5.1.  There have to be a lot of returns because of all this.  I tired it and returned a Playbar and sub.  Very minimal features and not great sound quality for an inflated price.

Big box systems are not remotely on my radar so i wouldn't be comparing anything to them.  However they would at least give you real stereo separation.

I think Sonos just doesn't have the revenue to fund the sort of R&D they need to be doing with their home theater products.

5 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

I do not believe it is wise to have an active microphone (Alexa) in the house,  I have read 1984.   

With the Sonos 1 it is possible to simply turn Alexa portion off making it one of or THE only such device on the market. Clever as hell and I need to get some in just to check them out. 

David

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. Roon is working great with the Sonos One. I sometimes the Sonos app or Alexa voice commands for Pandora. 

The Sonos Ones have broken in and sound better than when I first got them. I wouldn’t use them for my main system which are Kef wireless but the Sonos is fine for a bedroom system. I also use Alexa for lights and a fan.

I will read the reviews and probably buy one to try it out. I’m Apple everywhere but use Alexa for lights and other household items instead of Siri. Also Roon connects to Sonos devices but since the HomePod has airplay it will connect to those too. I expect the HomePod to have better sound quality 

Strongly advise against any single speaker solution — these are lifestyle products and definitely not for audiophiles. If all you want is to fill a room with sound and don’t care about quality Han sure, anything will do.

Consider Vanatoo. I listened to these little direct-digital DSP-crossover active speakers at CAF and was very impressed with thier drive, clarity and center fill imaging. Plus they have a sub out. Insanely cheap too — try CAF2017 at checkout for $40 off, it still might be active.

http://www.vanatoo.com/store/speakers#.Wgi0FLpMGfA

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Sonos Play One (non-alexa) for my bedroom and love it!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

I bought a pair of the Play 1 speakers at BB last month and I may buy more.  They are extremely convenient for streaming podcasts, listening to Howard, and even the occasional I just need to hear that song.  The sound is compressed with seriously over pronounced upper bass and yet they are still of much better sound quality than I expected.  Even single the Play 1 sounds better than your average bluetooth speaker like the little JBL Flip I already own.  Yes as stated above a dragonfly with a receiver and decent bookshelves will have better sound quality but it will also take up more space and be much less convenient.  Nobody chasing pure sound quality will be looking at these anyhow and to be quite honest probably wouldn't be happy with that bookshelf setup either.