IGNORED

Roon SQ can be better than foobar2000?

Hi,

to my ears, either with the main speakers setup and also with my headphones, Roon with Tidal beats in sound quality foobar2000+tidal (Bubble, component and Linn).

To be more precise, the sound with Roon seem more dynamic with more texture, detail and more sibilant on the highs but the overall sound is more... "live".

I try to avoid psychoacoustic, I can't do a blind test, that's why here I ask to you if someone has my same opinion. :-)

ASIO in Roon and ASIO in foobar, no effects at all. In Roon I only apply the DSP volume control, don't know if this affect the sound.

I have nothing against Roon, I could buy the year licence, but my issue is that is not working with my iPad 3 (that I still find good to me) so I have to choose if remain with foobar and Tidal or if switch into Roon (but in case, I must buy another tablet or at least a good remote desktop since the Windows Remote seem to be working with Roon).

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5

You need an iPad Air 2 for Roon. Or an Android tablet.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 10/6/2017 at 3:29 PM, RiseFall123 said:

I have nothing against Roon, I could buy the year licence, but my issue is that is not working with my iPad 3 (that I still find good to me) so I have to choose if remain with foobar and Tidal or if switch into Roon (but in case, I must buy another tablet or at least a good remote desktop since the Windows Remote seem to be working with Roon).

If you have a fairly modern smartphone you can use it as your Roon Remote instead of purchasing another tablet. Its what I use 90% of the time to control Roon playback in my system.

You mention using the DSP volume control in Roon. Is there a specific reason you need to use it (ie.. have no other means to control volume level)? If you do have another means to handle volume level then I would suggest you not use the control within Roon and set it to "off/max" for best SQ.

8 hours ago, cjf said:

If you have a fairly modern smartphone you can use it as your Roon Remote instead of purchasing another tablet. Its what I use 90% of the time to control Roon playback in my system.

You mention using the DSP volume control in Roon. Is there a specific reason you need to use it (ie.. have no other means to control volume level)? If you do have another means to handle volume level then I would suggest you not use the control within Roon and set it to "off/max" for best SQ.

Hi,

I have a modern smartphone that works regular with Roon, but usually when I have the tablet in my hands (usually what I do during listening music is read from the tablet) I prefer to remote Roon with tablet instead to switch device that's why I want to use the iPad as remote. The solution that I had until now is a workaround that involve "Squeezebox" and the web interface, I didn't try yet them, but I am little afraid that the first will compromise the SQ and the latter will be not too much "useful".

About the DSP volume, I use either the DSP VOLUME and the VOLUME LEVELING.

The first because my DAC doesn't have a remote so when I am with headphones it's impossible to set the volume.

The second because Tidal tracks don't have REPLAYGAIN so, if I listen to a playlist the volume will be crazy and Roon can play very LOUD some tracks even a very low volume in the amp.

I notice though that them treat this DSP in a very professional way in order to not decrease the SQ.

I am open to advices though.

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5