IGNORED

Tagging DFF Files Split From ISO Using ISO2DSD

I have recently been splitting many ISO files into their constituent DFF files using Sonore's ISO2DSD app as my streamer, an Auralic Aries only plays DFF files.

Most of the resultant files are tagged with artist, album and track metadata. However, some are not. As a result, the tracks  do not show up at all.

Is there a way to tag them using ISO2DSD? I can use Foobar but am unsure if the track data will migrate.

Unfortunately, I deleted the original ISO rip files to free up space on my hard drive.

I don't mean to hijack a spot on this forum but there isn't a way to PM @vortecjr about this.

Thanks

I suggest using DSF rather than DFF as the latter doesn't really support metadata. Conversion between DFF and DSF is lossless.

Here is an article that may be of interest:

https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2016/03/15/dsd-versus-dsf-versus-dff-what-mean-audio-libraries/

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

The Aries plays DSF too; don't know who told you only DFF.  Always use DSF, it is taggable.  Yes, conversion is lossless as long as you don't use things like JRIver (good product but not for converting in DSD).  And in the future save your ISOs to the cloud or somehwere.  They are your "backup".

Thanks guys.

I didn't realise the Aries accepts DSF too.

OK I do not have the ISO files anymore - that is too late.

So for the split DFF files what software do you recommend to convert to DSF?

Is there a difference in file sizes for DFF vs DSF files? For the majority of DFF files with tag data, am I better of reconverting them to DSF files since there is no loss in sound quality on the conversion?

In future, I will just split the ISO into DSF - my mistake as I am a newby with DSD.

2 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

For the majority of DFF files with tag data, am I better of reconverting them to DSF files since there is no loss in sound quality on the conversion?

I'm a little confused by this as it is my understanding that DFF doesn't support tags. I wonder if the Aries is guessing at this information based on the folder/file names.

If it were me, I would convert all of the files to DSF and tag properly so the data can be used with any player you may use in the future. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm a little confused by this as it is my understanding that DFF doesn't support tags. I wonder if the Aries is guessing at this information based on the folder/file names.

If it were me, I would convert all of the files to DSF and tag properly so the data can be used with any player you may use in the future. 

I am confused too.

The majority of DFF files I had split, do show up in the Aries. However, they do not show up under Foobar. They used to as ISO files.

The ones that do not show up in the Aries  were named the same way but they just don't show up in either.