IGNORED

Allo Digione

There are a couple things that may be worth mentioning about his review:

- he compares the Allo Digione and the SMS-200. One has a USB output, the other a coax output (is he using BNC or RCA ? no mention of that...). I don't know much about the Mytek Brooklyn he is using, but digital inputs on DACs are not all equal. 

- he seems to say that plugging in the Digione on the spdif input of his dac while playing through his usb source degrades the sound when using an smps power supply on the Digione. That could mean his power supply is leaking gargbage back through to the dac power supply - it does not imply anything about the on-board power filtering of the Digione.

54 minutes ago, hopkins said:

There are a couple things that may be worth mentioning about his review:

- he compares the Allo Digione and the SMS-200. One has a USB output, the other a coax output (is he using BNC or RCA ? no mention of that...). I don't know much about the Mytek Brooklyn he is using, but digital inputs on DACs are not all equal. 

- he seems to say that plugging in the Digione on the spdif input of his dac while playing through his usb source degrades the sound when using an smps power supply on the Digione. That could mean his power supply is leaking gargbage back through to the dac power supply - it does not imply anything about the on-board power filtering of the Digione.

Sure, like in most video reviews, many details are missing. I think that we should take these kind of reviews for what they are: short summaries of more or less systematic experiments. Still, I have found the specific report quite interesting. HB explains, right at the beginning of the video, that the comparison is not necessarily significative because, as you point out, the output of the SMS-200 and the output of the DigiOne are different. I have understood the remark about the smps as saying that, if the smps PSU of the Rasperry Pi + DigiOne combo is on the same power strip of the DAC, he notices some degrades in sound quality. This seems quite plausible to me.

I think that the comparison that I have done (DigiOne vs M2Tech HiFace Evo) is a little bit more significant than the one reported by HB in the sense that both devices were connected via the same cable to the same DAC input. As I reported, I could hear consistent differences in the presentations across different recordings and at different times. Letting apart the problem of judging which device sounds better, I would be very much interested in understanding what could be the causes of such differences. Is it just a matter of clock accuracy or do other properties of SPDIF streams impact on the DAC performance? 

7 hours ago, nbpf said:

Could you please elaborate in a little bit more detailed fashion on what you disagree? I do not tend to watch video reviews, I prefer very much written reports. Still, I could not find obvious flaws in the way Hans compares the DigiOne to other devices. I might be missing something, of course. Thanks, nbpf

It annoyed me he tested it with an SMPS and then some 80 Euro French POS LPSU instead of something decent. It doesn't matter whether the DigiOne cost £100 or £1, you should still test it with a quality LPSU. It does make a difference.

And then his conclusion...WTF? So Hans is trying to say it is only 65% as good as a £700 SOTM 200? I just can't accept that. I have owned digital transports that cost more than twice the SOTM 200 that the DigiOne destroys.

And there's also the issue of not comparing like with like (SPDIF - USB) as someone else mentioned above.

4 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

It annoyed me he tested it with an SMPS and then some 80 Euro French POS LPSU instead of something decent. It doesn't matter whether the DigiOne cost £100 or £1, you should still test it with a quality LPSU. It does make a difference.

And then his conclusion...WTF? So Hans is trying to say it is only 65% as good as a £700 SOTM 200? I just can't accept that. I have owned digital transports that cost more than twice the SOTM 200 that the DigiOne destroys.

And there's also the issue of not comparing like with like (SPDIF - USB) as someone else mentioned above.

Fair enough! I agree that talking about percentages of goodness makes little sense. But then HB seemed not to take those statements very seriously either! 

As far as I remember, HB was testing the DigiOne with the Audiophonics LPSU and with the SBooster LPSU and argued that the latter would improve the DigiOne a little bit but not dramatically. In my tests, the DigiOne was powered with an ifi PSU. The differences in comparison with the M2Tech (powered by a Teddy Pardo LPSU) were, as described above, quite clear. You mention that a quality LPSU makes a difference. Which LPSU would you suggest for the DigiOne? Thanks, nbpf  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes

1 hour ago, monster7 said:

Hi I have 2 questions.

1. Can I use USB output from Digione player? Because my DAC only has USB input, but I will change another DAC later.

2. Is there any difference for buying Digione player from Allo and Volumio?

thanks.

1.Yes you can but its not a clean USB

2. None

Hi - a newbie question about getting Squeezelite up and going on the Allo DigiOne Player:

Just bought a USB Bridge and a DIgiOne Player - the complete ready-to-use versions from allo, with DietPi installed. I intend to use them together with my Squeezeboxes with Squeezelite.

FIrst I tried the USB Bridge, and after updating the OS via the http://dietpi.local interface I could activate Squeezelite and it worked perfect - I could even connect it to mysqueezebox.com - it behaved just as the SBT.

But when I tried the DigiOne player I didn't get it to show the Squeezelite plugin, even after I update (v158). I still got the same limited options as before the update..  No Squeezelite.. So - What to do? 

41 minutes ago, markolino72 said:

1. digione is TOTAL CRAP don't buy it, sounds dry unnatural un very unmusical, i tried everything batteries etc, (better you get a uca202 and modify to get coax out) and by the way is a very good dac for 30$

pi things are extremely expensive solution to only get crap! that will end in the trash!

I certainly disagree with your assessment. I have compared the Allo DigiOne to my M2Tech HiFace Evo + Teddy Pardo LPSU (both BNC) into a Naim DAC. While the DigiOne sounded a little bit harsher, especially in high-pitched violins, it certainly was not crap. In my view, the DigiOne is in fact a great value and I can imagine that, in a different setup, it could actually sound better than the M2Tech. Perhaps you have a defective item or there was something broken when you did your comparisons?    

14 hours ago, hertzberg said:

Hi - a newbie question about getting Squeezelite up and going on the Allo DigiOne Player:

Just bought a USB Bridge and a DIgiOne Player - the complete ready-to-use versions from allo, with DietPi installed. I intend to use them together with my Squeezeboxes with Squeezelite.

FIrst I tried the USB Bridge, and after updating the OS via the http://dietpi.local interface I could activate Squeezelite and it worked perfect - I could even connect it to mysqueezebox.com - it behaved just as the SBT.

But when I tried the DigiOne player I didn't get it to show the Squeezelite plugin, even after I update (v158). I still got the same limited options as before the update..  No Squeezelite.. So - What to do? 

Hi,

On the DigiOne player using DietPi + Allo GUI OS, make sure the soundcard is selected (default is RPi onboard for this image). You can change the option in:
- Web interface

- System settings > Soundcard

15 hours ago, hertzberg said:

There is NO option to activate Squeezelite it should be.. As it shows from my screenshot, the GUI is not the same as in the thread linked to from Allo's support pages:

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317#p8868 

I get the correct GUI (and the Squeezelite option) with the USB Bridge/Sparky - but not with the DigiOne - Player. Why?

Hi,

Looks like a possible failed update, we would need you to send us a bug report, then we can investigate the logs.
Sending a bug report requires terminal access and running the following command:

dietpi-bugreport

As a quick solution, re-writing the latest image would get you up and running with squeezelite:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869

5 hours ago, Daniel Knight said:

Hi,

Looks like a possible failed update, we would need you to send us a bug report, then we can investigate the logs.
Sending a bug report requires terminal access and running the following command:

dietpi-bugreport

As a quick solution, re-writing the latest image would get you up and running with squeezelite:

Thanks - that sounds like it @Daniel Knight - I tried it yesterday and was given the option to update again. I did the update, it said it happened, but nothing changed. Today, the update was gone again... I'll try rewriting the image (I guess it says how to do it - I am a Pi-newbie :)

Two questions:

- How do I get to access "terminal" to get the bug-report?

- How can I log in to  the two Dietpi/Allo units I  now have on the same network (USB bridge and the DigiOne player)? dietpi.local only gives me one of them..

8 hours ago, Daniel Knight said:

OK - so I did the rewriting of the latest image as descriebed using a USB card adapter. Now it works - Thanks a lot =)

Would still be gratful for info on my two questions, though:

- How do I get to access "terminal" to get the bug-report?

- How can I log in to  the two Dietpi/Allo units I  now have on the same network (USB bridge and the DigiOne player)? dietpi.local only gives me one of them..

16 hours ago, hertzberg said:

How can I log in to  the two Dietpi/Allo units I  now have on the same network (USB bridge and the DigiOne player)? dietpi.local only gives me one of them..

Change the hostname on one of the devices, make them unique.
System Settings > Hostname

eg: hostname of dietpi2 would then be accessable via dietpi2.local

16 hours ago, hertzberg said:

How do I get to access "terminal" to get the bug-report?

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&start=10#p63

Or, use the same login details above, to login locally via keyboard + monitor.

4 hours ago, zacho said:

Hi guys, so my girlfriend just got me the Digione Player for my birthday and while setting it up, I turned on the PSU noise reduction and am now at a loss as to how to re-enable the hdmi output to continue configuring it. Any help? @Daniel Knight @allo.com

Hi,

You can disable the PSU noise reduction in dietpi-config, over SSH:

If you do not have SSH experience, you can re-enable HDMI output by doing the following:

- Power off system

- Plug SDcard into a PC

- Browse to the SDcard  (labeled boot, EG: My computer)

- Edit the following file

dietpi.txt

- Change the existing value of the following to 

rpi_hdmi_output=1

- Save changes

- Eject and power on system.

17 hours ago, Daniel Knight said:

Hi,

You can disable the PSU noise reduction in dietpi-config, over SSH:

If you do not have SSH experience, you can re-enable HDMI output by doing the following:

- Power off system

- Plug SDcard into a PC

- Browse to the SDcard  (labeled boot, EG: My computer)

- Edit the following file

dietpi.txt

- Change the existing value of the following to 

rpi_hdmi_output=1

- Save changes

- Eject and power on system.

Thank you! Managed to figure out SSH. Am enjoying the Digione Player massively!