IGNORED

Allo Digione

21 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

That sounds like a plan to me, I’ve not had card-frying issues either and it doesn’t seem to be a common issue.

Fried my card real nice. Sunny side up. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes ... and absolute no problem regarding "not enough power" (no flashing power light on Raspberry Pi anymore) !

When I have a look at the power discussion on "DigiOne Signature" thread (Page 32f) I lean back and relax 😁.

How to solder power direct on Pi I already described here:

The soldering points doesn't look perfect, but they work very well (large area has to be heated).

Btw: I'm new in this forum, is there a way to edit posts again (e.g. for fixing typing errors)? I can't find an "edit" button(?)

Hi all,

with my "power split" (see post #379 above) I did some measurements (current in ampere) to see how much power is really taken by a Pi/DigiOne. My setup:

• Pi-2B 1GB v1.2   (yes, an old one, I don't want any WiFi on a Pi for audio)
  • moOde 4.4          http://moodeaudio.org/
  • DigiOne 1.2
  • CPU GOV = performance (always runs at 900 MHz = max speed)
  • all additional services switched off (Airplay, Spotify, Squeezelite, UPnP client, DLNA server)

1) Pi only   (SD card only, no USB-device attached)

• booting: 0.400 A (max)
  • idle: 0250 A (stopped)
  • playing 192 kHz track from SD card
     - 0.260 A (min)
     - 0.265 A (average)
     - 0.500 A (max = file access)

2) Pi with 1 TB SSD   (Samsung 840 Evo, attached on USB with ICY BOX IB-233U3-B)

• idle: 0.370 A (stopped)
  • playing 192 kHz track from SSD (USB)
     - 0.380 A (min)
     - 0.450 A (average)
     - 0.900 A (max = file access)

3) DigiOne only   (clean side, DC-DC converter removed, external power)

• idle: 0.018 A
  • playing tracks:
     - 0.036 A (44.1 kHz)
     - 0.038 A (88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz)

Conclusion

I never saw current > 1 ampere, which shows that there are not so high requirements for a linear power supply (LPS) !

... and how much takes a "complete normal DigiOne"? The DC-DC converter datasheet shows an efficiency of 70%, so we have to add approx. 0.060 A for the DigiOne to the values of 1) and 2) above.

I'm having severe problems when playing DXD and even DSD64 on my Digione/VolumIO combo. Songs which do not make any probs on my iDSD make hell of (white) noise under Digione ....... Do you all play highres DXD and DSD without problems on your Digione? 

Actually it does not matter which DAC after the Digione I use, the noise appears allways on identically the same positions and duration, some only seconds, some during 20-30 seconds, allways the same position, only on those DXD and DSD so far ..... strange....!!!!!  

12 hours ago, Molins said:

I'm having severe problems when playing DXD and even DSD64 on my Digione/VolumIO combo. Songs which do not make any probs on my iDSD make hell of (white) noise under Digione ....... Do you all play highres DXD and DSD without problems on your Digione? 

Actually it does not matter which DAC after the Digione I use, the noise appears allways on identically the same positions and duration, some only seconds, some during 20-30 seconds, allways the same position, only on those DXD and DSD so far ..... strange....!!!!!  

on Volumio playback options DSD playback mode  direct or DoP . Try with DoP.   DSD64 will will work properly.

Make Audio Resampling off.

Higher DSD rate files Mpd uses above 100% cpu core, noise may be related to that.   

Allo.com Tech. Support

I played an album which consists of 12 DSD64 and same 12 DXD songs (once you purchase the higher res the vendor delivers also the lower res for free). 

4 DSD and 8 DXD make problems under mode DSD Native and only DXD files (which VolumIO shows as WAV/352) played with exactly the same errors under DoP, mode DoP didn't play the DSD64 files (this is not normal, isn't it?). No matter which DAC after DigiOne I use, the errors are allways the same. 

Resampling is allways off. I then played some FLAC192 and again, errors audible in certain songs. No songs do problems with the other DAC I own like iDSD or a DAP. 

So all in all I think for High-Res lovers this combo DigiOne+VolumIO is quite useless. 

I don't do DSD, but I tried out several FLAC 24/192 from 2L just now via my DigiOneSig+Volumio and they play just fine. So there might be an issue in your chain (coaxial cable? faulty digione?). Please note that ~24/192 is the rated limit for SPDIF IIRC. So that creates limitations for DSD/DXD files. I think DSD64 should work, not so sure for DXD.

Others, feel free to chip in if I am mistaken!

I never had any problems with the DigiOne or with the DigiOne Signature with 24/192 .flac files, either sent directly to the DAC or first transcoded by MinimServer to .wav. I am running both MinimServer and upmpdcli (and thus MPD) on the same RPi 3 B+ that hosts the Digione / DigiOne Signature. 

Hi all,

let's have a look at the hardware specification of the DigiOne. The S/PDIF transceiver chip is a WM8805, the audio data interface supports I²S, left justified, right justified and DSP audio formats of 16-24 bit word length, with sample rates from 32 to 192 ks/s.

Now let's have a look at the audio formats:

Formats.png.3791755bab576cd641f5f238c3f2324b.png

DXD is a PCM format with a sample rate of 352.8 kHz -> this can't run native on the DigiOne (without downsampling) !

Now let's check DoP (DSD over PCM):

The original idea for DoP was to take groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 PCM stream (see detailed explanation here). So we have the next limitation:

• DSD64    requires a 176.4 kHz PCM stream -> OK   for DigiOne
  • DSD128 requires a 352.8 kHz PCM stream -> NOK for DigiOne

Conclusion:

Only DSD64 can run native on a DigiOne (without downsampling) ... and the connected DAC must be DoP compatible too !

On 2/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, TomWoB said:

Hi all,

let's have a look at the hardware specification of the DigiOne. The S/PDIF transceiver chip is a WM8805, the audio data interface supports I²S, left justified, right justified and DSP audio formats of 16-24 bit word length, with sample rates from 32 to 192 ks/s.

DXD is a PCM format with a sample rate of 352.8 kHz -> this can't run native on the DigiOne (without downsampling) !

The original idea for DoP was to take groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 PCM stream (see detailed explanation here). So we have the next limitation:

Conclusion:

Only DSD64 can run native on a DigiOne (without downsampling) ... and the connected DAC must be DoP compatible too !

This is one of the most complete answers I've ever received in a forum. Thank you so much for that clear explanation!!!

Hi,

Not sure how to view my usb hdd that is connected to my digione using android app?

When i open my android app bubbleupnp i see the digione as Volumio renderer but when i select the library option i do not see the attached USB HDD ?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi @Nay,

I don't know the "bubbleupnp" app, but typically plugging-in an USB-HDD is not enough. You should also do something like (moOde):

-> Configuration -> Sources -> MPD Database -> Update

If you have "SSH Skills", the best will be to check if your USB-HDD is already successful "mounted" (otherwise bubbleup can't use it). After SSH login, call the command "df", it should show something like this:

pi@moode128:~ $ df
Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root      122895396  44799216  73075024  39% /
devtmpfs          470116         0    470116   0% /dev
tmpfs             474724         0    474724   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs             474724      8136    466588   2% /run
tmpfs               5120         4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs             474724         0    474724   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1     43539     22557     20982  52% /boot
/dev/sda1      960380648 446965552 464560636  50% /media/USB-SSD
tmpfs              94944         0     94944   0% /run/user/1000

Relevant is the line:

/dev/sda1      960380648 446965552 464560636  50% /media/USB-SSD

It shows that my USB-SSD is successful mounted. If you don't see such a line on your Pi, you have to mount the USB-HDD first! You can crosscheck with another command, if USB-HDD is "at least electrical successful conntected" to your Pi, call this command:

sudo blkid -o list -w /dev/null

pi@moode128:~ $ sudo blkid -o list -w /dev/null
device                   fs_type       label          mount point          UUID
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/mmcblk0                                          (in use)
/dev/mmcblk0p1           vfat          boot           /boot                70F7-FA1D
/dev/mmcblk0p2           ext4                         /                    3598ef8e-09be-47ef-9d01-f24cf61dff1d
/dev/sda1                vfat          USB-1          (not mounted)        982D-0FC0

Now you see that my USB-SSD is "connected to the Pi, but not mounted":

/dev/sda1                vfat          USB-1          (not mounted)        982D-0FC0

On 2/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, TomWoB said:

Hi all,

Conclusion:

I just bought another download in DSD64 quality and again, 3 times white moise for a couple of seconds always the same positions, with no such errors when using a different source or a DAP. So it seems to me either Digione or VolumIO or both are not 100% capable of DSD64.

Hello. 

I want to purchase a Digione to use AirPlay to feed my LS50 wireless. My inputs don’t exactly match up with the outputs of the Digione. So I figured I could use a digital coaxial to optical converter. Now my question with that is. Will that affect the audio quality ? Also not to sure about using the bnc output of the Digione. Inputs for the LS50 are rca-toslink-usb. 

Anyhelp would be nice.