IGNORED

Allo Digione

32 minutes ago, zacho said:

Another question. Is the Digione Player meant to be running 24/7 or do i have to turn it off once in awhile? Also, how do I shut it down properly without pulling the plug?

Should be fine to leave running 24/7. I do with mine :)

Shutdown via web interface, is available under Settings page > Power options.

Or via SSH

poweroff

On 10/27/2017 at 10:09 PM, nbpf said:

@zachoVery nice, thanks! I have meanwhile made some more comparisons and, in my setup, the main problem with the DigiOne is that violins and, more generally, high pitched notes tend to sound too aggressive. With the M2Tech, the presentation is more fluid, more natural and, finally, less fatiguing. Still, I believe the DigiOne is a great value.

No matter what the differences are, I would be interested in understanding where they come from. What makes the violins with the DigiOne sound more edgy than with the M2Tech? Is it something that can be measured? Can these differences be attributed to which features of the signal? Thanks, nbpf

Short update:

yesterday I disconnected the DigiOne from the RPi3 to send it back for a replacement (because of grounding problems, see my posts in the Volumio forum). I had a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro around that I had never never tested. I decided to give it a try: plugged in the Digi+ Pro, replaced "dtoverlay=allo-digione" with "dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi-pro" in /boot/config.txt and rebooted. After a few hours of listening, I cannot distinguish the HiFiBerry from my M2Tech hiFace Evo + Teddy Pardo PSU!

Thus, my preliminary conclusions (I will test the DigiOne again as soon as I receive the new unit) are that, in my system, the DigiOne sounds more engaging than the M2Tech or than HiFiBerry but also too harsh on high pitch instruments. It would of course be nice to have the best of the two worlds and I was wandering if anyone has made similar experiences with the DigiOne and perhaps found a way to reduce the glare without compromising the PRaT.

As many have reported improvements by feeding the Allo USB bridge with an UpTone Audio LPS-1, perhaps a future DigiOne 2 could be designed to use an external power supply via jumper settings?

A more advanced DigiOne with 5.5/2.1 connector for external power supply and performance comparable with that of a Mutec MC-3+ USB or of a Schiit Eitr (perhaps in different dedicated versions with BNC SPDIF, RCA SPDIF, HDMI i2s, etc. outputs) would the ideal complement for Raspberry Pi based systems. For such a device, I would be happy to pay a higher price tag. 

Has anyone compared the DigiOne vs USB output of the RPi3 on a given DAC?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Also DO try http://archphile.org/ for your Raspberry or Odroid

It is very minimal but it sounds great USB or I2S (DigiOne)

A great feature it has that no other SW has (yet) is Spotify connect option along with Roon and Tidal endpoints. 

I use only Spotify ....

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

48 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Has anyone compared the DigiOne vs USB output of the RPi3 on a given DAC?

I have both running in parallel feeding the Mytek Manhattan II and although I have yet to do a thorough, systematic comparison, switching between them when they both play the same music (as grouped Roon endpoints) doesn't reveal much difference between them in brief a/b sessions..so far.. I'll do a more thorough comparison later on and report back. 

But how they compare will depend on the quality of the inputs of the DAC. Especially the USB receivers have developed in later years, I believe. 

6 hours ago, zacho said:

I'm using Raspotify with Dietpi and spotify connect works flawlessly.

I admit I don’t have experience with Dietpi

Is Raspotify able of playing your local files too?

26 minutes ago, zacho said:

I just read in a thread on audiocircle about a new DigiOne Signature being developed with ultracaps. Will there be an upgrade program for current owners of the DigiOne?

Interesting, but I cannot find the thread. Could you please post a link?

4 hours ago, zacho said:

Link here

Let me know if this is against the rules of the forum and i'll gladly remove it.

Thanks, I would be very happy to upgrade to a new DigiOne! I have ordered a Mutec MC-3+ USB and I should be able to make more detailed comparisons of DigiOne, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro and Mutec next week.

15 hours ago, ALLOaudio said:

Hi to all

please see the mat black finish alu case for Digione player with integrated heat sink for the RPI.

Ready to ship early 2018!

Comments welcomed!

regards

IMG_0253_0.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

I am sorry to say this but I dislike the design. For technical devices and audio gears I welcome a simple, industrial design without ornamental elements. Thus, just to make an example, Naim classical line is a good design and Chord a bad one. Here the DigiOne case looks like a miniature castle with 4 towers. The BNC connector is too close to one of the "towers". Why not adopting a simple, sleek design? Examples of well designed Raspberry Pi cases are, in my view, the Pibow ranges from Pimoroni. Just my two cents, of course.