IGNORED

Surge Protection

Hi All,

I live in an area that has frequent power outages. I am considering using a Brickwall Eight-Outlet Audio Surge Protector in conjunction with a Hypex NCore NC400 stereo power amplifier. Can anyone suggest a reason(s) not to do so?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Topaz isolation transformer with a 12 outlet Triplite.  Works great here in Costa Rica where we constantly get power outages and surges.  For the price of a used one ($100-$200) and it's benefits, it is a steal. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Zero Surge and SurgeX are also good options. They usually also include some power conditioning functions too.

If power is going out frequently , then a UPS may also be a good idea, just for safe shutdown of your gear? I don’t have experience with UPS units but am considering one soon, probably a SurgeX unit because Zero Surge isn’t available in my country unfortunately.

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Topaz isolation transformer with a 12 outlet Triplite.  Works great here in Costa Rica where we constantly get power outages and surges.  For the price of a used one ($100-$200) and it's benefits, it is a steal. 

what about FURMAN....i have heard good things about furman?

56 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

what about FURMAN....i have heard good things about furman?

I assume your talking about their isolation transformer?  What's the impedance output?  Why pay so much more than a Topaz?  See John Swenson feedback on the isolation transformer thread for details on why the Topaz is a great choice.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

A Topaz/Xentek/Elgar type isolation transformer is all you need for surge protection. No active reactance getting in the way with the likes of Panamax, Furman/Monster et al.

If serious lightning protection is needed, unplug before the storm.

I bought an Eaton 9135 2kVA UPS ahead of the Topaz, the sound was about the same as it always was, however during a blackout, the Eaton failed to re-start and died. Other opinions from sites I visit have the same opinion on the Eaton, not all that uninterruptible. Other brands are much the same reliability.

The problem is not so much the loss of voltage but when it returns as it usually bounces about, usually higher until it settles down, or a re-closer that attempts to clear trees or branches of faults, typically three shots at applying power in short succession. There needs to be a time of about 30 seconds for the voltage to settle back to normal, then operate equipment.

Sources aren't so bad, but if you forget to wind down the amplifiers, be prepared for a loud splat from the speakers. A sequencer is a great idea and avoids that splat.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Brickwall:  I'm not sure this company still exists, even though they retain a nice website.  The Brickwall website says it is a division of Price Wheeler, with an address of 905 Majestic Oak St, Las Vegas, which turns out to be a residential townhouse that changed owners in July:

https://www.brickwall.com

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/905-Majestic-Oak-St-Las-Vegas-NV-89145/6916557_zpid

There is a Price Wheeler in San Diego that seems nothing but a marketing page (see copyright notice in lower left corner):

http://theindustrialresource.com

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

3 hours ago, hdo said:

Do they sell low wattage power surge protector? Say, 50 Watt or 100 Watt cut power surge protectors. I tried to find. But I couldn't find from local shops.

Devices like that create leakage currents and are detrimental to finding their way to DAC's front end where they goof up timing of clocks. Not recommended.

14 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

What I use. (Variations xentek etc) Interwinding capacitance being low is the key spec that separates the men from the boys.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

I’ve found the 0.0005% for great prices, the 0.0001% has a premium so i have the 0.0005% Those are all great specs YMMV

Hehe very nice. I meant which number separates the men from the boys! :-)

I guess it's the 0.0001 pF !

45 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hehe very nice. I meant which number separates the men from the boys! :-)

I guess it's the 0.0001 pF !

Didn’t mean to imply that!

A common question is: which isolation transformer should I get? Is X, Y or Z good? So and so says this or that.

I am saying that the way to judge is to look at the interwinding capacitance. That’s s is written on the outside of “real” industrial iso transformers. This is what determines leakage currents. If it’s not specified, then be cautious. If the number approaches those listed for Topaz etc al. then should be good.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Didn’t mean to imply that!

A common question is: which isolation transformer should I get? Is X, Y or Z good? So and so says this or that.

I am saying that the way to judge is to look at the interwinding capacitance. That’s s is written on the outside of “real” industrial iso transformers. This is what determines leakage currents. If it’s not specified, then be cautious. If the number approaches those listed for Topaz etc al. then should be good.

I was just kidding! Great advice though.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Why would you assume that leakage currents are at only f 50 or 60 ?

There could a problem of definition as to what leakage currents are. Leakage currents are signs of insulation failure at 50/60Hz, classically and these are monitored by legislation/statutes.

Nuisance currents, also known as conducted emissions are at higher frequencies than 50/60Hz, and these are not monitored, other than the effects of which are picked up by our ears. Attenuation is higher for these frequencies passing, or trying to pass through a Topaz via grounds. Differential frequencies can still get through.  Line frequencies can end up on the signal conductors, via various backdoors.