IGNORED

Tidal: "Fixed volume" on Windows 10 app

Hi,

I am thinking that the marriage between me and Tidal can't be done.

In my living room I have a DAC without any remote (only phisical buttons).

I never have issues about that, when I play with my speakers setup I can use the amp remote while when I hear to headphones I can use the volume of the applications as foobar or else that allows me to change the volume even on WASAPI or ASIO.

Now... Tidal app. When I choose "Exclusive mode", and it works fine, Tidal will force the volume of itself to the max. Also the system itself volume is excluded (right). So... when I want to use headphone I cannot set the volume!!! My DAC is far from my chair.

There is a way to enable the volume control in exclusive mode? If not, this could be the final good-bye to Tidal.

PS: it is possible to change volume in exclusive mode in Roon?

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5

When listening to headphones, are you doing it through your DAC or Amp?  You can set volume to max in Roon.   Have you tried checking the box in Tidal below exclusive mode, force volume?

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

HI,

my DAC has an excellent (to me) headphone amp, while my amp has a standard headphone output that cannot compete with the DAC one.

The DAC has not a remote.

When I set “exclusive mode” Tidal client cannot leave me use the button “force volume to the max” so the volume it’s fixed to the max.

I need to change the volume in exclusive mode because my chair is far from the Dac.

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5

So when listening to headphones, are you trying to change the volume (when needed) through your computer (assuming it's close to you).  If that's the case, you may have to switch to the system default setting in Tidal, so you can use their volume control.  Not ideal but may help.

I'm not too techy, so I hope someone else can chime in and help.

Side note: When I was searching for my latest DAC, I made sure it had remote capabilities for input selection and volume control.  My first DAC lacked these features.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Unfortunately using system mixer is to exclude especially in headphone listening and my dac, even without remote, it’s a good performer (to me) so i think that this is a missing in tidal app (also the lacks of a remote is a awful missing).

i am thinking about Roon or a upnp solution, trying to understand whats better.

Roon and Tidal is a nice combo.  I use this.  Roon is not cheap.  I bought a lifetime membership, one and done.  Roon does a lot of things great but I still use Jriver for streaming outside my house to my iphone anywhere I go.  I'm also able to create better playlists in Jriver vs. Roon (I like rating individual tracks(0-5 stars), Roon doesn't allow this).  Unfortunately JRiver and Tidal didn't see eye to eye on merging there platforms together.  

I could think about roon i could start with the simply year membership.

What I still didn’t got really good is how Roon really handles the mqa tidal songs into a “not mqa” dac.

Roon will just pass the song through.  No hiccups.  I have a Bel Canto DAC (nonMQA) everything works fine.  Some MQA stuff through this DAC sounds nice even though it's not being decoded as a MQA DAC.  Probably just a better Master.  I also use a Dragonfly Red at the computer, which I'll pass MQA through Tidal directly.   

34 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

Roon will just pass the song through.  No hiccups.  I have a Bel Canto DAC (nonMQA) everything works fine.

You mean at the computer too?

When you play a MQA song, with this nonMQA dac, the frequency rate is higher than 44khz? I am sorry, I am reading so much around and I also received very good explainations here, but I still have some doubts about it.

PS: with Roon in EXCLUSIVE MODE I will be able to change volume of the application itself?  Or it will block the volume as Tidal app? Otherwise I can totally exclude it and start building the BubbleUPnP Server or the MinimServer and all the related stuff...

34 minutes ago, RiseFall123 said:

You mean at the computer too?

When you play a MQA song, with this nonMQA dac, the frequency rate is higher than 44khz? I am sorry, I am reading so much around and I also received very good explainations here, but I still have some doubts about it.

PS: with Roon in EXCLUSIVE MODE I will be able to change volume of the application itself?  Or it will block the volume as Tidal app? Otherwise I can totally exclude it and start building the BubbleUPnP Server or the MinimServer and all the related stuff...

when you play an mqa song in a non-mqa dac, the dac will simply not do any of the mqa processing -- it'll just play the song at the bit rate passed to it.

roon has tidal built into it, so with roon you won't use the tidal app.

roon does not have the mqa initial unfold built into it yet -- it just passes the file straight through untouched.  incorporating the initial unfold in roon is supposed to be coming soon.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Like what jcn3 said, Tidal becomes apart of the Roon interface.  When playing through your speakers you can use exclusive mode, when you want to listen through your headphones you can use Roon's volume control and then control the volume with your phone or tablet or computer.

How far away is your DAC from say your headphone listening position?  You have XLR outputs in your DAC.  You could run long XLR cables to your amplifier and have the DAC near your headphone seat.  I did this with my old set up.  I ran a 50ft. AudioQuest Goldengate RCA cable across the room for this.  This was located directly behind my main listening seat, where my computer desk is set up.  This contains my headphone and secondary speakers.  I actually spend 80% of my listening from this area while listening to my main system.

Lots of options, sometimes too many.  You can always pose that question on the Roon website, their community is very helpful.  You'll often get a response from a moderator or developer.

• 5 years later...