IGNORED

Intel Coffee Lake CPUs

If one is into heavy desktop gaming, then there's no place for ARM there at the moment.

Intel and AMD dominate and now with competition both crank up the performance at faster pace. I don't know any ARM that could compete with Intel Core Core/Xeon or AMD Ryzen/Epyc processors... Now combine that with latest Pascal or Volta generation Nvidia GPUs and you have a real powerhouse...

Both also have SoCs with comparable performance to the ARM-based SoCs like Qualcom Snapdragon or Samsung Exynos.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 10/6/2017 at 12:25 AM, hdo said:

MS is targeting the following Snapdragon 835 chip to run ARM. It's got everything you need. 2.45GHz octa core. PCM 384khz, DXD, and DSD native playback. No cooling system noise. Cellular internet connections. It will be much improvement over Intel.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/835

I have number of Intel hardware that doesn't have cooling system noise either, etc. So I wonder what is the "much improvement". I have passive cooled Intel CPUs up to Core i5 (and i7 wouldn't be a problem either), without any fans at all.

But that Snapdragon is nowhere near the processing performance of desktop/workstation/datacenter systems, the difference is several orders of magnitude. That PCM/DXD/DSD playback doesn't mean anything. Even my smallest single-core 400 MHz ARM9 board can play up to DSD256 natively when there is no need to do any DSP processing (just shoveling data around). But when you want to do heavy digital room correction DSP for DSD256 sources at highest possible quality you need hefty CPU and preferably GPU too. Especially if you want to do it for 5.1 channels...

1 minute ago, hdo said:

This is a small fraction of overall market. I don't know how many people use desktop and workstations.

Quite a lot. Desktop PC market is over 100 million units per year. Laptops are similar and do around 150 million units per year. So totaling around 250 million units.

2 minutes ago, hdo said:

Snapdragon 835 is a SOC (system on chip). It's got many things in the chip. CPU, GPU, GPS, phone, sound cards, ... The benefit will be cost and lest power consumption with more features. Of course, devices get smaller.

Of course I know this. There are plenty SoCs on the market from various different vendors, for various different use cases. Intel and AMD also make number of SoCs. I have several ARM and Intel ones myself as well as one AMD.

Snapdragon SoC is designed for mobile phones and has feature set for that. There are other SoCs for other use cases from other vendors.