IGNORED

Intel Coffee Lake CPUs

Intel is launching its 8th generation core desktop processors on 10/5.  This is the successor to Kaby Lake.  Bad news ... you need a new motherboard (Z370) for these CPUs.

So anyone considering a new build may want to review this announcement.

Really interesting is the i3-8100 because it's incredibly cheap.  This is a quad core i3 (no hyperthreading, no turbo boost) running at 3.6 GHz and TDP of 65w for only $117!

Next up the line is the i3-8350K.  It's an unlocked quad core (no hyperthreading, no turbo boost) running at 4 GHz and TDP of 91w for $168.  The rest of the lineup are 6 cores.

Compare to the i7-6700K which had a processor base frequency of 4 GHz (max turbo 4.2 GHz), TDP of 91w, hyperthreading and larger cache of 8MB vs only 6MB on i3-8350K.

It certainly makes the i3-8350K look like a fantastic deal.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The ARM-based Windows machines will be tablets and ultrabooks.  It does not address the high end 64-bit desktop environment we need for HQPlayer.

I also think that Microsoft will have a lot of kinks to iron out in the initial systems.  No doubt though that this is an interesting development.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Looks like the 6-core parts are very supply constrained at the moment.  Initial benchmarks are out.  Looks like really good price/performance from the quad-core parts.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers

@hdo I think you're being very optimistic.  Sure the Snapdragon 835 is great.  Its Microsoft I worry about.

3 minutes ago, Indydan said:

I wonder if Apple was waiting for these processors to update the Mac Mini? It has been 3 years now since the Mac Mini has been updated. That is long enough! :)

Although the current Mac Minis are 3 years old, Apple has not lowered the price. 

Apple is working on becoming vertically integrated and doing everything themselves.  Apple was part of a group that just bought Toshiba's memory chip business for $18 billion.  In April, Apple announced it plans to stop using Imagination Technologies graphics chip IP within two years.  

There are now Z370 motherboards available with Aquantia 10 Gb/sec LAN ... along with dual Intel 1Gb/sec NICs.  Check it out.  Who needs it ... but it's cool.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7/index.asp

Aquantia is about to launch its IPO.