IGNORED

The new Schiit Loki Mini

Melvin

I have one. Sounds great. I don't really need it because I recently upgraded my speakers and cans, but it still clarifies low bitrate news and talk, and adds warmth to music I'd otherwise switch headphones for.

Not strictly necessary, but if there's one affliction many of us here share, it's a love for knobs, switches, and sliders. Real or virtual, more knobs switches and sliders, can't ever have enough. :-)

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

After over 3 decades of doing without tone controls, my gut feeling says "possibly not for me". It certainly might be 'fun' but will the novelty wear off quickly ? That said, I might have saved myself time, and probably money, getting my system to sound right (to me) if the Loki had been around before. But, having pretty much got there, I'm not sure.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

1 hour ago, Charente said:

After over 3 decades of doing without tone controls, my gut feeling says "possibly not for me". It certainly might be 'fun' but will the novelty wear off quickly ? That said, I might have saved myself time, and probably money, getting my system to sound right (to me) if the Loki had been around before. But, having pretty much got there, I'm not sure.

Not as much long  but I had to wean myself out of the desire to EQ -  thinking it would be dangerous as possible promoting (in myself)  a need for it...  prbly staying away. On the other  hand, loving Magni 3

v

@vmartell22 Yes, the Magni 3 sure looks good (considering one for a secondary system) ... the Loki Mini is the first incarnation of a 'family' of Loki's (so I hear), so maybe the Loki 'Maxi', or whatever it will be called, may be more appropriate for me with my setup... will have to wait and see, I guess.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

20 hours ago, left channel said:

I have one. Sounds great. I don't really need it because I recently upgraded my speakers and cans, but it still clarifies low bitrate news and talk, and adds warmth to music I'd otherwise switch headphones for.

Not strictly necessary, but if there's one affliction many of us here share, it's a love for knobs, switches, and sliders. Real or virtual, more knobs switches and sliders, can't ever have enough. :-)

I'm thinking of one for my headphone system (Asgard 2, Bifrost MB, Audio-Technica ATH-R70x) where it may do some good. I'm afraid I'll be constantly fiddling with knobs! 

Woke up this morning and after a cup of coffee I decided to insert the Loki Mini into the headphone system. I just couldn't wait for the weekend and it's a bit easier to reconfigure my Schiit rather than the main system. First impressions .. works as advertised, easy to hear the adjustments, and transparent when in bypass mode. I think this will be a nice long-term addition to my headphone system. I'll share more impressions in time (if anyone cares).

Just received mine and hooked it up to my iMac, Meridian Director, Swan Speakers. I agree with Melvin, easy to hear changes, only need a little (bass and lower mid) and the sound is great! And it's so tiny! Only issue is it's hard to grab a knob since it's so small. All in all, it's a great little package!

Had mine for about a week in a two channel system (I have but rarely use headphones). Useful tool that may be able to help on non-optimized recordings. My collection leans toward classical/jazz and about 80% of the time the Loki is in bypass mode. However, about 20% of time I've found minor eq adjustments to be helpful. I much prefer Loki over any digital eq sw I've tried. Very transparent. Worth the $150 in my book. 

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

After testing out the Loki Mini with my headphone system I inserted it into the main system and my experience is the same.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:00 PM, gldgate said:

I much prefer Loki over any digital eq sw I've tried. Very transparent. Worth the $150 in my book. 

I couldn't agree more. Like gldgate I'm only an occasional headphone user. The Loki Mini is a keeper.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, left channel said:

Can't stand it when you talk like that, Leftie.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Schiit Loki Mini as impedance buffer for a Schiit Sys (passive) volume control, which has a high output impedance that varies with volume setting and which (IME) sucks the live out of music. (Output impedance of the Loki = 75 Ohm, output impedance of the Sys = ~ 5000 Ohm.) The Loki feeds a pair of JBL LSR305 active speakers and an active subwoofer (via RCA Y-connectors). The system is AC powered by a balanced mains isolation transformer.

It's my semi portable 'B system', which also features a Schiit Modi multibit DAC to feed the Schiit Sys. The Loki performs very good  in this setup. In fact you get a very good preamp with a Sys and a Loki. It replaces a Schiit Saga pre-amp! And the Loki has tone control, which was the reason I bought it in the first place. However, I learned to *not* touch the tone controls.

I thought the Loki might in an acceptable way soften the treble and lift the bass of the JBLs when playing without a sub. But that is not the case. Even a minute off-center positioning of the high (8 kHz) band introduces unacceptable sound degradation. Makes me wonder about the long term stability of the tone control center settings of the Loki..

@Abtr Almost sounds disappointing to me !  I hold your views in high regard even tho' much of the comment I've read varies with your conclusions. I had hoped that a future version of the Loki 'might' come in useful for a bit of headphone tuning, although I'm still on the fence about the very idea.

21 hours ago, Charente said:

@Abtr Almost sounds disappointing to me !  I hold your views in high regard even tho' much of the comment I've read varies with your conclusions. I had hoped that a future version of the Loki 'might' come in useful for a bit of headphone tuning, although I'm still on the fence about the very idea.

Yes, It was disappointing. The buffer stage of the Loki is very good but engage the tone controls even a minimal amount and a proverbial 'veil' is dropped over the sound. At least that is what happens in my system. YMMV, although I suspect that the Airlink balanced mains power supply, that you also own, is what makes this so apparent. Other systems connected to regular unbalanced AC power may even benefit from this Loki veil.. 

@Abtr Interesting you should mention that ... I have also found that using the Airlink BPS is much more revealing of lesser recordings and some tweaks and I can appreciate what you say about the Loki Mini in that context. I wonder how the new Schiit Gadget might fare in those same circumstances (apologies ... slightly off topic).

Based on the design of Loki, I find it difficult to believe that it adds a veil to the music. None of the reviewers I trust have said it adds a veil. In fact, they universally comment on how transparent it is. These are mostly headphone people and many have commented that Loki does not work well with certain headphones as the ranges don’t match up well. 

I don’t see how this could be system specific either. 

@Speed Racer If some headphone users comment that Loki doesn't work well with certain headphones, is that not system specific ?