Jump to content
DavidZ

JCAT Net Card Femto

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 5/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, mourip said:

 

Thanks Dutch. I am curious. I am in the US. Are you? 

 

My tracking information still shows the card still in the UPS warehouse in Poland. It arrived there 4 days ago. I know that the tracking could just be off but it is consistently updating the location daily. I wonder if any others have their card stalled there?

 

Marcin said that he will look into it on Monday...

Hi Paul, 

 

I called UPS and they will get to me today, but I think it could be some issue in the UPS tracking system and you should receive the package today. I've just received an email from a customer in Japan that there was no movement since last Monday and 5 minutes later he wrote again that the package arrived despite UPS system saying it's still in Poland. I will let you know what UPS says. 

 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder


JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for checking with UPS. Sounds like their tracking is not so hot for international orders.

 

Very much looking forward to your card.

 

How was the Munich show?

 

Best,

Paul



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The card did arrive! I guess that UPS has issues with international hand-off for tracking?

 

It was extremely well packaged and looks great.

 

Impressions to follow after some break in.



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the new card installed in my Roon Core server. My Roon endpoint is a NUC running AudioLinux(AL).

 

Out of the box the card offered an improvement. I spent some time tweaking the NIC settings in my network bridge configuration and then listened for a while. At some point I had a Oops! moment. I had forgotten to hook up the 5v connection to the card from my HDPlex LPS so I had been running on PCI bus power. Once connected, there was a very clear change. "Clear" is the best word to describe it.

 

I will not go farther into sound quality changes now since the card is too new but I can already say that the card is worth it.

 

One caveat or rather a pointer. I have an ethernet cable going directly from my NUC to the JCAT NIC in my server. The JCAT is bridged with my onboard NIC, which is connected to my LAN. When I started making the suggested changes to my bridge network settings, each time I made a change(s), and then saved it, the connection to my NUC would drop briefly. It would return quickly but Roon would stop on the endpoint and the NUC would stop showing as available in Roon. The fix was easy but it took a while to find. With a connection established to the NUC using Putty, all that I needed to do was to stop audio services in AL and the restart Roon Bridge. I had to do this multiple times while making and testing the network config changes.



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mourip said:

I have the new card installed in my Roon Core server. My Roon endpoint is a NUC running AudioLinux(AL).

 

Out of the box the card offered an improvement. I spent some time tweaking the NIC settings in my network bridge configuration and then listened for a while. At some point I had a Oops! moment. I had forgotten to hook up the 5v connection to the card from my HDPlex LPS so I had been running on PCI bus power. Once connected, there was a very clear change. "Clear" is the best word to describe it.

 

I will not go farther into sound quality changes now since the card is too new but I can already say that the card is worth it.

 

One caveat or rather a pointer. I have an ethernet cable going directly from my NUC to the JCAT NIC in my server. The JCAT is bridged with my onboard NIC, which is connected to my LAN. When I started making the suggested changes to my bridge network settings, each time I made a change(s), and then saved it, the connection to my NUC would drop briefly. It would return quickly but Roon would stop on the endpoint and the NUC would stop showing as available in Roon. The fix was easy but it took a while to find. With a connection established to the NUC using Putty, all that I needed to do was to stop audio services in AL and the restart Roon Bridge. I had to do this multiple times while making and testing the network config changes.

 

Yes clearer is how I would describe the effect of using the JCAT NET Card too.

 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37151-jcat-net-card-femto/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-756669

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 10:57 AM, Summit said:

 

I use the NET card in bridge mode. I have tried other ways of connecting it and liked the bridge mode best with my uR.

 

I have never had any FMCs in my audio system and believe that the gain you my get from the fiber insulation (in theory) is small compared to the loss of using more cheap clocks and switching regulator etc that is often used in FMC.     

 

Based upon Marcin's recommendation of only using one of the JCAT ports when bridging I am doing that and using my onboard NIC for the LAN connection. I was using FMCs to go from my onboard NIC to my LAN switch and powering the clean-side FMC from an LPS. That worked fine until recently but for some reason I cannot get my FMC's to link up.

 

Are you isolating your network bridge on the LAN side?

 



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mourip said:

 

Based upon Marcin's recommendation of only using one of the JCAT ports when bridging I am doing that and using my onboard NIC for the LAN connection. I was using FMCs to go from my onboard NIC to my LAN switch and powering the clean-side FMC from an LPS. That worked fine until recently but for some reason I cannot get my FMC's to link up.

 

Are you isolating your network bridge on the LAN side?

 

I'd also try bridging both ports on the NET Card. 

 

Regards, 

Marcin


JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mourip said:

 

Based upon Marcin's recommendation of only using one of the JCAT ports when bridging I am doing that and using my onboard NIC for the LAN connection. I was using FMCs to go from my onboard NIC to my LAN switch and powering the clean-side FMC from an LPS. That worked fine until recently but for some reason I cannot get my FMC's to link up.

 

Are you isolating your network bridge on the LAN side?

 

 

Sorry am not sure I understand your question. If you’re asking if I use fibre optic, the answer is no. I have LPSU on both the LAN card and switch though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Summit said:

 

Sorry am not sure I understand your question. If you’re asking if I use fibre optic, the answer is no. I have LPSU on both the LAN card and switch though.

 

I was wondering if you were using any method of isolating your audio system grounds and power from the rest of the LAN and AC wiring.

 

I use an large isolation transformer with all audio equipment plugged into the same AC power strip. I use fiber to isolate from the connection out to the LAN. 

 

I did note that you were not using fiber and I agree with or at least understand your reasoning.

 

Thanks!



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mourip said:

 

I was wondering if you were using any method of isolating your audio system grounds and power from the rest of the LAN and AC wiring.

 

I use an large isolation transformer with all audio equipment plugged into the same AC power strip. I use fiber to isolate from the connection out to the LAN. 

 

I did note that you were not using fiber and I agree with or at least understand your reasoning.

 

Thanks!

 

Yes indeed, I believe it’s paramount to separate the audio system from the noise coming from the computer, router and mains power. I therefore have my computer with JCAT Card + LPS in another room and on another power line than there my uR and stereo is. I have two power conditioner, one Gigawatt PC3 EVO for my DAC, uR, amp and DDC and an Oehlbach XXL Powerstation 909 for my router and switch. Both power conditioner has separated/isolated outputs for digital and analogue devices.

 

I like to joke a bit with Jesus at Sonore, but the truth is that if they would manage to make a good opticalModule without the cheap clocks, switching regulator, low budget PSU etc that is normally used in FMC, it could probably be a great device. Stopping the noise as early as possible is normally best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

I'd also try bridging both ports on the NET Card. 

 

Regards, 

Marcin

That works for me. The LPS that’s connected to the jcat is the same as the audio system power from a Topaz.

the power to the music server where the Jcat is installed, is for operation reasons from a 230V UPS with a step  down transformer to 120V.


AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, One and a half said:

That works for me. The LPS that’s connected to the jcat is the same as the audio system power from a Topaz.

the power to the music server where the Jcat is installed, is for operation reasons from a 230V UPS with a step  down transformer to 120V.

 

Thanks. My JCAT is running off an LPS on my Topaz also, as is my server. I will try using both JCAT ports and see how it goes.



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 5:14 AM, Marcin_gps said:

I'd also try bridging both ports on the NET Card. 

 

Regards, 

Marcin

 

I tried bridging the two ports on the Femto card and that worked for getting the fiber link up. Sounds great. I may still try switching back to the on-board NIC to see if I can get it to work and if taking that load off of the Femto is worthwhile.

 

Thanks Marcin. Great product.



"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...