IGNORED

JCAT Net Card Femto

DavidZ

I have the new card installed in my Roon Core server. My Roon endpoint is a NUC running AudioLinux(AL).

Out of the box the card offered an improvement. I spent some time tweaking the NIC settings in my network bridge configuration and then listened for a while. At some point I had a Oops! moment. I had forgotten to hook up the 5v connection to the card from my HDPlex LPS so I had been running on PCI bus power. Once connected, there was a very clear change. "Clear" is the best word to describe it.

I will not go farther into sound quality changes now since the card is too new but I can already say that the card is worth it.

One caveat or rather a pointer. I have an ethernet cable going directly from my NUC to the JCAT NIC in my server. The JCAT is bridged with my onboard NIC, which is connected to my LAN. When I started making the suggested changes to my bridge network settings, each time I made a change(s), and then saved it, the connection to my NUC would drop briefly. It would return quickly but Roon would stop on the endpoint and the NUC would stop showing as available in Roon. The fix was easy but it took a while to find. With a connection established to the NUC using Putty, all that I needed to do was to stop audio services in AL and the restart Roon Bridge. I had to do this multiple times while making and testing the network config changes.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

2 hours ago, mourip said:

I have the new card installed in my Roon Core server. My Roon endpoint is a NUC running AudioLinux(AL).

Out of the box the card offered an improvement. I spent some time tweaking the NIC settings in my network bridge configuration and then listened for a while. At some point I had a Oops! moment. I had forgotten to hook up the 5v connection to the card from my HDPlex LPS so I had been running on PCI bus power. Once connected, there was a very clear change. "Clear" is the best word to describe it.

I will not go farther into sound quality changes now since the card is too new but I can already say that the card is worth it.

One caveat or rather a pointer. I have an ethernet cable going directly from my NUC to the JCAT NIC in my server. The JCAT is bridged with my onboard NIC, which is connected to my LAN. When I started making the suggested changes to my bridge network settings, each time I made a change(s), and then saved it, the connection to my NUC would drop briefly. It would return quickly but Roon would stop on the endpoint and the NUC would stop showing as available in Roon. The fix was easy but it took a while to find. With a connection established to the NUC using Putty, all that I needed to do was to stop audio services in AL and the restart Roon Bridge. I had to do this multiple times while making and testing the network config changes.

Yes clearer is how I would describe the effect of using the JCAT NET Card too.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37151-jcat-net-card-femto/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-756669

On 12/21/2017 at 10:57 AM, Summit said:

I use the NET card in bridge mode. I have tried other ways of connecting it and liked the bridge mode best with my uR.

I have never had any FMCs in my audio system and believe that the gain you my get from the fiber insulation (in theory) is small compared to the loss of using more cheap clocks and switching regulator etc that is often used in FMC.     

Based upon Marcin's recommendation of only using one of the JCAT ports when bridging I am doing that and using my onboard NIC for the LAN connection. I was using FMCs to go from my onboard NIC to my LAN switch and powering the clean-side FMC from an LPS. That worked fine until recently but for some reason I cannot get my FMC's to link up.

Are you isolating your network bridge on the LAN side?

System

16 hours ago, mourip said:

Based upon Marcin's recommendation of only using one of the JCAT ports when bridging I am doing that and using my onboard NIC for the LAN connection. I was using FMCs to go from my onboard NIC to my LAN switch and powering the clean-side FMC from an LPS. That worked fine until recently but for some reason I cannot get my FMC's to link up.

I'd also try bridging both ports on the NET Card. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

22 hours ago, mourip said:

Sorry am not sure I understand your question. If you’re asking if I use fibre optic, the answer is no. I have LPSU on both the LAN card and switch though.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

Sorry am not sure I understand your question. If you’re asking if I use fibre optic, the answer is no. I have LPSU on both the LAN card and switch though.

I was wondering if you were using any method of isolating your audio system grounds and power from the rest of the LAN and AC wiring.

I use an large isolation transformer with all audio equipment plugged into the same AC power strip. I use fiber to isolate from the connection out to the LAN. 

I did note that you were not using fiber and I agree with or at least understand your reasoning.

Thanks!

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I was wondering if you were using any method of isolating your audio system grounds and power from the rest of the LAN and AC wiring.

I use an large isolation transformer with all audio equipment plugged into the same AC power strip. I use fiber to isolate from the connection out to the LAN. 

I did note that you were not using fiber and I agree with or at least understand your reasoning.

Thanks!

Yes indeed, I believe it’s paramount to separate the audio system from the noise coming from the computer, router and mains power. I therefore have my computer with JCAT Card + LPS in another room and on another power line than there my uR and stereo is. I have two power conditioner, one Gigawatt PC3 EVO for my DAC, uR, amp and DDC and an Oehlbach XXL Powerstation 909 for my router and switch. Both power conditioner has separated/isolated outputs for digital and analogue devices.

I like to joke a bit with Jesus at Sonore, but the truth is that if they would manage to make a good opticalModule without the cheap clocks, switching regulator, low budget PSU etc that is normally used in FMC, it could probably be a great device. Stopping the noise as early as possible is normally best.

12 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Regards, 

Marcin

That works for me. The LPS that’s connected to the jcat is the same as the audio system power from a Topaz.

the power to the music server where the Jcat is installed, is for operation reasons from a 230V UPS with a step  down transformer to 120V.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

27 minutes ago, One and a half said:

That works for me. The LPS that’s connected to the jcat is the same as the audio system power from a Topaz.

the power to the music server where the Jcat is installed, is for operation reasons from a 230V UPS with a step  down transformer to 120V.

Thanks. My JCAT is running off an LPS on my Topaz also, as is my server. I will try using both JCAT ports and see how it goes.

System

On 5/16/2019 at 5:14 AM, Marcin_gps said:

Regards, 

Marcin

I tried bridging the two ports on the Femto card and that worked for getting the fiber link up. Sounds great. I may still try switching back to the on-board NIC to see if I can get it to work and if taking that load off of the Femto is worthwhile.

Thanks Marcin. Great product.

System

On 5/17/2019 at 10:54 PM, mourip said:

I tried bridging the two ports on the Femto card and that worked for getting the fiber link up. Sounds great. I may still try switching back to the on-board NIC to see if I can get it to work and if taking that load off of the Femto is worthwhile.

Thanks Marcin. Great product.

Thank you! 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

I intend to purchase JCAT Femto USB and NET cards. Both cards are to be connected to an external 5V linear power supply. Therefore, I do not want to connect the cards to LP4 connector on computer PSU. Is that recommended?

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, mourip said:

I am still enjoying this card but feel that my server OS is holding things back.

I do not think it's the OS. What bothers you? 

I got very good experience configuring the network card following this guide: Computer Audio Best Practices Guide: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/computer_audio_best_practices_guide.pdf

You should also change some settings in the network adapter. For example, disable Interrupt Moderation and Green Ethernet (reduces latency).

Did you load the latest drivers?

There is a lot to consider and it would be nice to get a compendium of the recommended settings from JCAT. 

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

I do not think it's the OS. What bothers you? 

I got very good experience configuring the network card following this guide: Computer Audio Best Practices Guide: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/computer_audio_best_practices_guide.pdf

You should also change some settings in the network adapter. For example, disable Interrupt Moderation and Green Ethernet (reduces latency).

Did you load the latest drivers?

There is a lot to consider and it would be nice to get a compendium of the recommended settings from JCAT. 

There is a guide I wrote available for all customers who purchased the card. Please send me a PM if you have not received it. 

The article is not publicly available - it's a free bonus for everyone who purchased the card.

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

22 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

There is a guide I wrote available for all customers who purchased the card. Please send me a PM if you have not received it. 

The article is not publicly available - it's a free bonus for everyone who purchased the card.

Regards, 
Marcin

Thanks Marcin. I did follow your excellent guide when I bought my card last May.

Are there any new configuration changes that would apply specifically to WS2019?

Thanks!

System

• 2 weeks later...