IGNORED

JCAT Net Card Femto

DavidZ

Two net card FEMTO newbie questions (mine is now en route from Poland to The Netherlands):

First my current setup:

modem/router => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Intel fiber NIC1 => HQPe server => Intel fiber NIC2 => MikroTik SFP switch => CAT6 => NAA endpoint

Before this, everything was fiber, but I prefer the sound with copper downstream.

(1) I am planning to mount the net card FEMTO in the audio PC, assuming that it would have the most effect downstream. Is that a good idea? Or should I put it in the control PC (which is optically isolated and in another room) and use it instead of the dual fiber NIC?

(2) Assuming I put it in the audio PC, and given that the control PC has the dual fiber NIC (+ stock RJ45 NIC), how would I go about bridging?

Any advice welcome!

audio system

Update to the previous:

I managed to bridge the two SFP ports of the Intel dual fiber NIC on the HQP server PC with Audilinux. SFP port 1 is connected to the main router and port two semi-directly to the NAA endpoint in another room, as follows:

main modem router => CAT7 => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Server  SFP NIC 1 <BRIDGED WITH> SFP NIC2 => fiber => 2nd MikroTik SFP switch => CAT6 => NAA endpoint

No doubt the sound has improved, and this is even without the JCAT net card FEMTO!

I like the idea that there is some optical isolation, although I prefer copper downstream SQ-wise.

Still planning to put the net card FEMTO (when it arrives in a couple of days) in the NAA endpoint PC, but correct me if I am wrong to do so...

audio system

7 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Update to the previous:

I managed to bridge the two SFP ports of the Intel dual fiber NIC on the HQP server PC with Audilinux. SFP port 1 is connected to the main router and port two semi-directly to the NAA endpoint in another room, as follows:

main modem router => CAT7 => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Server  SFP NIC 1 <BRIDGED WITH> SFP NIC2 => fiber => 2nd MikroTik SFP switch => CAT6 => NAA endpoint

No doubt the sound has improved, and this is even without the JCAT net card FEMTO!

I like the idea that there is some optical isolation, although I prefer copper downstream SQ-wise.

Still planning to put the net card FEMTO (when it arrives in a couple of days) in the NAA endpoint PC, but please correct me if I am wrong to do so...

audio system

4 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

Already asked but Marcin Mentioned  he has Limited knowledge on Linux.

Antonello (Gentooplayer) said that you can play with kernel in gentoo. There is also other parameters but very unclear compared to what Marcin propose on Windows.

Piero (Audio-Linux) : no feedback. 

I would need to deep dive next week to try to make some correspondance between the windows parameters and Linux parameters.

Thanks. Maybe less is needed on Linux to tune down network parameters. Similar to the fact that the likes of AO and Fidelizer are not needed for Linux. Just guessing... 

audio system

36 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Great report, and kudos for the experimentation!

Did you try a configuration - let’s call it X - which is the same as IX, except you bridged both JCF ports, while keeping the 2-switch chain between server and endpoint?

Hi austinpop, that's a good one, I didn't. Luckily it was simply done by moving one cable from the stock to the 2nd JCF connection. IX and X are close in SQ but I slightly prefer IX which sounds a little fuller and more at ease. One might expect both ports on the optimized JCF to sound better than only one combined with a stock port, however 2xJCF also means that the card draws more current and maybe that explains the difference. I also remember Marcin saying somewhere that he prefers using one JCF port rather than two.

Below is the updated tabel. Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, switch 1 is a MikroTik 305 and switch 2 a fanless Cisco 2960G.

image.thumb.png.6f5268c5aa7affc21cffa0d0273074e0.png

audio system

10 hours ago, Miska said:

One configuration which I recommend to use is missing from the picture:

Screenshot_2020-04-13_01-20-50.png.65b88ba448aa353ff0f39114eb9b8116.png

Here "switch2" is of course needed only if the two switches are in different rooms. But this starts to look a bit like a network.

My network looks like this, massively simplified:

Screenshot_2020-04-13_01-21-08.png.0d83f12ee5ef735c9a8a5c5050b1c7f5.png

Each switch is in a separate room. There's a CAT6 going from central patchbay (machine room) where "switch1" is to every room and then every room has a room specific switch which are switch2 - switch4 here (there are more, but this is simplified). This is already something I'd call a network. Every server can play music to any of the endpoints there. In reality I have couple of more servers and endpoints, but full picture would grow pretty big. One of the endpoints is actually a Merging Hapi, so not all are NAA.

Thanks Jussi. My configurations are also somewhat simplified. I left out my NAS (which I only occasionally turn on for backup) and a wireless router.

I have setup your configuration (the simple one on top). To do this I had to swap my two switches as the MikroTik has only one RJ45 connection (and 4 SFP cages) and the Cisco has multiple RJ45 connections (and only one SFP cage).

In the table below I have added two configurations: XI is yours and XII is the bridged one which is the same as IX only with both switches swapped.

In bridged mode the server acts as a software switch and I know you do not like that idea. And you are probably right in terms of proper network topology. However, I like the SQ best with bridged mode (in this case XII). I am more inside the piano (hearing individual hammer strokes) and the violin soars more and is less strident.

I would not call myself a subjectivist (I do make decisions based on ratio and/or theory) but in the end this audio hobby is empirical with one simple aim: goose bumps.

Actually, your software helps me achieve that 🙂.

Sorry if we drifted somewhat off-topic, but the main thing for me was how to best utilize the net card FEMTO, and I am happy with the result.

image.thumb.png.379d0f41ba2dce65d956607ba89a705d.png

audio system