IGNORED

Suggestions for audio upgrade

uyire

Hi Uyire,

Assuming your $1500 is for a "complete" system upgrade, and you wish to use a digital source, then in your situation I would first decide if the system was for serious listening in stereo or will you be happy with the jack of all trades Onkyo receiver that you currently have?

Assuming it is the first then I would take a long term view and upgrade your system in stages, and address your weak link first, being the the Onkyo Receiver. In HiFi terms it is an inexpensive product that is simply trying to do too much. 

You appear not to be using the Onkyo for home theatre (you don't list surround speakers or a sub) and therefore IF you are using it mainly for music I would either sell it, together with the Infinity centre speaker, and raised say US500 and increase your budget to US$2000, or use it as a stand alone power amplifier and by-amp the Klipsch RF 82 speakers. They are very sensitive at 98db and will need little power to drive them and the Onkyo could be fine for the job.

I agree with the sentiment of the previous posters so I would purchase an "all in one" DAC/preamp and by pass the preamp in the Onkyo (if possible) and progress in the following stages

(1) use the Onkyo as a 2 channel power amp in pre amp mode

(2) increase your budget to US2,000 (say) by selling the Onkyo and go on line and find a decent used 2 channel power amp on eBay or Canuck Audio Mart etc.

(3) experiment with your speaker placement and the acoustic treatment of your room

Others would no doubt change the order but I feel your front end is sadly lacking.

I would also invest in a decent software package such as J River, HQ Player or Roon (with a 30 day trial period) or Foobar2000 (free) and learn how to set up your PC so that is plays bit perfect. You can google how to do this.

Both DACs and software have progressed a long way since your Onkyo was manufactured (2010) and I believe you will get a marked increase in sound quality. There are many manufacturers of DAC/preamps combinations to research including those already mentioned plus:

1. Audiolab M DAC

2. SMSL MA 8

3. NAD

4. Marantz

5. Rotel

6. Nuprime

7 Nuforce

8. TEAC 301

9. Chord

10. iFi

Make sure you buy one that exhibits Asynchronous USB technology if that is how you want to access your music - or if via a NAS then you will need an ethernet input, and also decide whether playing native DSD is important to you. Great DAC/preamps are available for between $400 - $1,000 so you can have at least $1,000 left over for your power amp, if you choose to sell the Onkyo.

Just to repeat - decide on how serious you are about sound quality and then progress slowly in stages so that you can purchase quality equipment when you can afford the money. You should be able to purchase an excellent system for a total of $3k including speakers.

Alternatively if you want to think out of left field, and you have a small to medium size room, have a  look at the excellent wireless KEF LS50 speakers for $2,200, which is an all inclusive system (speaker has DAC and amp built in). Have a read of the thread here at CA.

Lots of ways to skin the cat and get awesome sound without breaking the bank. Do your research, and in particular search the threads here at CA, and take your time - its fun reading the reviews. 

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

On 01/10/2017 at 1:26 AM, uyire said:

Hello,

My first post here, apologies for not doing a proper search before posting. 

I am looking for some suggestions to upgrade my audio listening experience. I have been hearing a lot about HD tracks and was wondering what are the most essential upgrades I must make to move from conventional to HD. I am comfortable spending up to $1000 but I can stretch it to $1500 if necessary. 

Here's my current setup.

HTPC

Klipsch RF-82 II

Infinity Primus PC350

Onkyo HT-RC260

Home Office:

Audioengine A5 2-way speakers

Audioengine A2+ (Not using at the moment)

Macbook Pro & Windows 10 PC

Thanks!

Further to my post above I noticed that Mass drop have a TEAC 503 at only $699. 

This unit has been well reviewed here at CA and provides great connectivity including USB, Ethernet and Optical plus it plays DSD natively.

Could be ideal for what you need and leave plenty of money left over for your power amp.

22 hours ago, uyire said:

@plissken @gmgraves I do have infinity surrounds and emotiva sub but not using them these days due to space constraints. With kids, I find myself using my office computer for listening. Hence, am interested in upgrading my office audio setup which is primarily nothing but MacBook pro, Windows pc and audio engine 5 and audio engine 2+ speakers.

I would like to spend my budget as efficiently as possible hence am open to any suggestion that can help me achieve better quality. Though I am happy with the current output for whatever I am listening to, I am eager to see what my investment of 1.5k/2k can do for me. 

Any speakers/amps suggestions? I can also wait a month or so to add another 1k to my budget and do the upgrade in one shot. I am afraid I won't have the luxury to spend anymore on equipments for the next  2/3 years. 

Thanks

Hi Uyire,

Your head spinning yet? Amazing isn't it that a bunch of people in a hobby of similar age would have such large discrepancy in their attitudes.

In your position I would take a deep breath and redefine what it is you are trying to achieve. When my family was young I also did all my "serious" listening in the sanctuary of my office. If that is going to be the case, and money is an issue, then stick with your gear in your lounge room for the kids and family (it will get trashed) and concentrate on your office gear.

The Audioengine speakers are by all accounts very good (I have not heard them) so despite the comments of others all you really need do is add a USB DAC to your MAC Book Pro. The DAC in the MAC is simply inadequate for serious listening.

I have the The SMSL IDEA USB DAC recommended above by beerandmusic and it is surprisingly good for US$85. Checkout their web site as they make more sophisticated equipment such as the M8A for $250 with more connectivity (optical and coaxial) if you want to add other gear. I have both DACs and they do a very good job and IMO you do not have to spend a lot more money for a desk top system. I have a much more expensive Benchmark DAC 1 HDR and they hold there own against it.

SMSL is Chinese and you may be wishing to support the "red white blue" so US products such as the Emotiva mentioned above would be good alternative. Being Australian I have no problem buying Chinese as US products here are greatly marked up and a rip off.

Next purchase some decent software such as Audirvana, HQ Player, J River etc. All have 30 day trials.

If you want to go to another level of sound quality then purchase a pair of Active speakers. The Audioengine are powered speakers meaning that there is a single built in power amp, which comes BEFORE a passive cross over. One of the speakers has the amp built in and the other is a slave. In an active speaker each individual driver has its own amp, which are therefore located AFTER the crossover, which is active. All things being equal an active speaker will produce better sound.

The beauty of either a powered or active speaker is that your system is greatly simplified and already has synergy built in - that is you don't have to match amps and speakers. Also from a practical point of view you will have less gear on your desk top.

For many years I had my Benchmark playing into a pair of Adam A7 active speakers (now upgraded to the A7X) and the sound was awesome. Originally in 2009 I paid 2k for the Benchmark and $1500 for the Adams, however, today you would get the lot second hand for less than $2k. 

To summarise work out where you are going to do your listening and then spend your money there. Read up on DACs and Active speakers and go that route. Alternatively the Active KEF LS50 speakers with built in DAC could be ideal but this limits your upgrade path.

Most speaker companies manufacture active speakers.

Good luck,

Ajax