IGNORED

BACCH-SP / BACCH4Mac

Hi all,

Wanted to start a new thread discussing the BACCH3D tech that has been making the rounds at audio shows since 2015, now that there's a relatively affordable version (BACCH4Mac, reviewed in Audiostream recently). This is for new owners of BACCH 3D dsp software and hardware to discuss impressions and solutions.

For those who are not familiar, BACCH-SP is an algorithm for crosstalk cancellation that is tonally transparent, developed by Prof. Edgar Chouieri at Princeton. Many, many audio reviewers have listened to the system at shows, with a in depth review by Michael Lavorgna of Audiostream. All agree that this is a huge step forward in soundstaging and improving the realism of audio playback. I'll not go into detail about the technology as there are plenty of impressions and reviews out there. 

I recently purchased the BACCH4Mac package which runs on your own Mac, and comes with the RME Babyface Pro DAC (primarily as a interface for measurements - you do NOT have to use it as a DAC once your measurements are made), as well as the Binaural microphones.

I was unsuccessful at getting to run on a Hackintosh system despite spending about 4 full days of my vacation troubleshooting. The hope was to get my CAPS/HQPlayer server which has a PPA clock and a SOTM USB card, but unfortunately the BACCH software did not like the Hackintosh system. I have a Mac mini on the way which will arrive tomorrow!

More to come, but for those of you who have or are debating buying into the BACCH system please add your impressions. @firedog @Yucca06 @thequietman

Yeang

I purchased the BACCH4Mac and it works fine on my 2014 Macbook Pro. It only took a couple of hours to set up from scratch. The main problem was getting rid of old Mac programs such as Soundflower and Boom2Boom which interfered with it.

I have a very difficult asymmetric speaker positioning in my living room and I was impressed that it made my speakers disappear and the quality of the voices in choirs was scary - it was so clear.

My system is tri-amped using two subwoofers with two DEQX units and I thought it was pretty good but the BACCH has taken it to another level.

I started installing my ADIO yesterday. Currently working with the Theoretica team to enable the internal Roon bridge (and disable the internal Roon core) to connect it with my Roon Rock core. Did some initial tests yesterday with a RPi/Ropieee endpoint/bridge connected through usb, and so far so good - incredible soundstage :)

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

Nope, it's an appliance BACCH-SP ADIO (Analog Digital Input Output).

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I’m super interested in the BACCH system and heard it at the Capital Audiofest in November in DC. Anyone else running BACCH4Mac or an -SP or other? The effects were amazing although I suspect all the demo tracks were binaural recordings. 

Which leads me to my question: how much and what type of effect does it have on normal stereo music?

• 1 year later...