IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

9 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That's not the problem. It is being used at less than optimum bit rates, in Australia at least, and most likely in many other countries including the USA,  to squeeze in more channels, usually ones that are so called "Lifestyle" channels, which really are mainly long commercials, undoubtedly in order to get more advertising revenue.

It would be foolish to think that only Australia is using less than optimum bit rates for HD TV, as we usually "follow the leader"

In Canada, at least where I live, the issue seems to be identifying the provider that uses less compression. A cable provider is known to employ less compression than a telecom, but both use it to conserve bandwidth.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

John is well aware of the technical explanations. He is also interested in promoting the idea that that his designs have been perfected down to the last detail.

That was not the tenor of his comments at all. Rather, his point was that measurements tell only part of the story. Kevin Hayes of VAC expressed similar views. The correlation between measurements and sound quality is hardly an exact science.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

So the big elephant to me is the sighted evaluation.  We know for certain those are always suspect.  

As are many dbt's. :)

1 minute ago, esldude said:

No in point of fact. 

No one who is human is immune to such things.  NO ONE!  That is not an opinion. 

In your opinion. :) It just doesn't make sense that one will always have an expectation of a particular result. Open minds do exist, notwithstanding your view to the contrary.

15 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

True. And open minds don't hear a difference between Ethernet cables ;)

But they may, not will, hear a difference between USB cables, interconnect cables, speaker cables, and power cables.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Nah. I know this from personal experience ;)

I have no reason to question your experience. But, it runs counter to the experience of every audiophile I know.

38 minutes ago, jabbr said:

John Curl has written extensively about measurable differences between resistors. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-ii-634.html

Apart from demonstrating his expertise, that doesn't run contrary to his expressed experience in finding that certain resistors did not sound the same, notwithstanding that there was no measurable difference between them.

35 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Without knowing exactly which measurements were done, impossible to evaluate your memory of what he said.

Frankly, your evaluation of my memory of what he said is of absolutely no significance. I was there; you weren't. When the seminar - The Four Wise Men of Design - from RMAF 2017 is posted online, you can listen to what he said and draw whatever conclusions that you wish. He did not refer to any specific measurements. He only said that they measured the same.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Speaking of PIM, here: he discusses the need to develop new type of measurements to improve his new designs: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-ii-9538.html#post5164494

You can stop chasing your tail. :) It doesn't alter what he said or the opinion that he holds regarding the correlation between measurements and sound quality. The final tuning of his designs is done by listening, not measuring.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Ah but that is an entirely different issue: we can measure down to individual subatomic particles yet that does not imply that we understand the correlation between these measurements and sound quality. I have no doubt that what he actually said is that the correlation between measurements and sound quality is not well understood.

Have it your way. If you want to see it as a separate issue (it's not), be my guest. I'm out of this discussion.

11 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

For some reason, your insistence that you are able to override the deeply-ingrained human propensity to judge based on appearance, etc., reminded me of this old cartoon character who had a similar self-image:

Coincidentally,  you and elsdude also bring to mind an image. :)

broken-record-765056.jpg

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

It was a joke, Allan, in the same vein as Bill's Taliban references.

The line between sarcasm and snide remarks can become so thin as to be virtually non-existent, especially with certain members of this forum. Those who closely approach or occasionally cross it should not expect apologies but, if it makes you feel better, I offer mine. :)

Given the role that religion has played in the slaughter of so many millions of people, the often stormy relationship between religion and humour may be a good thing. My last polemic for today.

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Even being married to a British individual for > 20 years, I still find the whole "sorry" business a sorry business.

Sorry about that!

18 hours ago, esldude said:

If the terms that some find offensive were directly used with that intent it would be one thing.  That was not the case here.

What if a red car ran over my first puppy and I have never recovered, making me see red when I hear the word.  Should I expect everyone to not use the word red because it bothers me?  I realize this is not quite that.  But where is the line appropriately drawn.

An inadequate test and, IMO, a hardly apt analogy to support it. It might satisfy If empathy and sensitivity are eliminated as relevant considerations.