IGNORED

Simple (I hope) cable question

Boy Howdy

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Real cheap basic cables: errors started showing up after about 5 feet, so 3 ft cables do well but 6ft and longer can cause problems.

Hey John, did these cheap basic cables that had errors showing up, even include High Speed Certified USB cables?

21 minutes ago, marce said:

?

The thing here is distance, you have to take into account the drive strength of the USB transceiver, USB data speed, how the cable was terminated at the far end.

Digital and cables and distance... A remote industrial serial interface I know of can do 200m on basic belll wire, go to a shielded Beldon twisted pair and we got a signal 1km... cheaper cables tend to have higher high frequency attenuation so the waves loos there shape over distance becoming rounded and ISI increases, so if you have to go long use a decent cable, if your only going a few feet any cable will be bit perfect.

John mentioned he saw errors with cheap cables over 5ft.

But there are High Speed Certified USB cables that are cheap and up to 10ft (Supra not included in this because those aren't cheap).

So my question is asking if errors showing up with cables >5ft even included cheap High Speed Certified Cables.

Or does High Speed Certified mean error free, regardless of length. 

For those that don't know, the Supra USB cables are High Speed Certified for up to 15ft but I'm not asking about those.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If the signal at the receiving end meets the eye pattern requirements, there should be no errors. 

Understood. My question is to John regarding his actual findings though, i.e. were there any cheap High Speed Certified cables over 5ft that had errors showing up, or were the only ones that failed over 5ft NOT High Speed Certified.

14 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The reason I brought this up is to let people know that errors DO occur on USB cables, and the longer the cable the more likely this is to happen. This IS important for audio since there is no error correction for audio data.

No worries John and thanks for sharing. I was just trying to see if seeing High Speed Certified on the cable packet/box added any assurance, in terms of the testing you spoke about.

Obviously Supra cables do have that logo and measured really well for you (I use Supra cables too) but there are other cheaper alternatives like Startech (and others) that are High Speed Certified, i.e. that meet USB 2.0 spec.

https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2.0/USB-2.0-Cables/10-ft-High-Speed-Certified-USB-20-Cable~USB2HAB10

It would be interesting to see if that $7.99 10ft certified StarTech performed as well as the Supra 10ft cable.

Obviously not asking you test every cable on the planet though. Was just trying to see if there was a link there in your testing. Thanks again for sharing anyway.

On 01/10/2017 at 8:07 PM, Em2016 said:

For those that don't know, the Supra USB cables are High Speed Certified for up to 15ft but I'm not asking about those.

I need to correct myself here. The Supra High Speed Certified USB cables are approved for up to 15m not 15ft...

Just picked up one of their microUSB cables for my Hugo2 and realised this on the packet.

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.1394056d1e4b4225b4f36eda4917a1f7.JPG