IGNORED

Simple (I hope) cable question

Boy Howdy

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

There is no error correction in isochronous mode which is what USB audio uses. There is a CRC that can be checked at the receiver, but no way to correct or resend.

About a year ago I did a whole bunch of tests on actual error rates of different USB cables for USB audio.

Real cheap basic cables: errors started showing up after about 5 feet, so 3 ft cables do well but 6ft and longer can cause problems.

Good quality but still inexpensive cables do better, they can be good up to about 10 ft.

The Supra cable was the only one I had that had no errors over 10ft.

I did not try any of the really expensive "audiophile" cables. My guess is they would be worse than the Supra.

I have tried the Corning and for me in my system it worked very well. Others have not had this experience

John S.

What speed was the USB running at?

12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hey John, did these cheap basic cables that had errors showing up, even include High Speed Certified USB cables?

?

The thing here is distance, you have to take into account the drive strength of the USB transceiver, USB data speed, how the cable was terminated at the far end.

Digital and cables and distance... A remote industrial serial interface I know of can do 200m on basic belll wire, go to a shielded Beldon twisted pair and we got a signal 1km... cheaper cables tend to have higher high frequency attenuation so the waves loos there shape over distance becoming rounded and ISI increases, so if you have to go long use a decent cable, if your only going a few feet any cable will be bit perfect.