IGNORED

Is a CAPS style PC still the way to go?

blownsi

On 1/13/2018 at 6:02 AM, Thuaveta said:

Any idea as to why it's superior to a Pi with a reasonably well-designed HAT and PSU ?

(just to be clear, I'm not questioning whether it's better, I'm curious what the explanation is, if only because, by default, selling expensive power cables is a red flag that makes me question the rationale behind anything else a company does)

I got a R Pi 3 for xmas and just built it up last week.  Playing FLAC files from my NAS via wifi, Pi 3 USB out to a W4S USB reclocker into a W4S DAC2V2 and the sound was not good.  Purchased a cheapo PiFi SPDIF hihat and after some quick Linux config file mods had it up and running.  I would say equal to, perhaps better than my W10 ripping/playback PC which used USB out to the reclocker and W4S drivers.  Building a o11 LPS for the Pi 3 so we shall see how it all comes together.  Need to learn more about the Alsa drivers, etc. but definitely a workable solution.  Also looking at NUC options.  All of this via JRiver Media, Windows and Linux for the Pi 3.

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders