IGNORED

Is a CAPS style PC still the way to go?

blownsi

I just built a CAPS Carbon with the SOtM USB card and installed a minimal Linux base with MPD and HQ Player's NAA.  It makes an excellent renderer for Audirvana and HQ Player.  I imagine you could install the Roon server as well.  Much better than my Mac Mini alone and definitely better than a Pi.  I haven't heard a Rendu or Aries Mini so I can't compare it to them, but I like being able to install my own software.

17 hours ago, ecwl said:

I recently switched from my CAPSv3 Carbon to the ultraRendu with LPS1 power supply. As great as the CAPS was, I'm still somewhat shocked by how much better ultraRendu with LPS1 is.

Interesting.  What software were you using on the CAPS?  Did you power it with an LPS?  I'd certainly like to hear the ultraRendu.  I see it uses LMS.  I'd like to have the option of MPD as a player.  I wonder if it can be installed.

ETA:  Never mind, I see what the options for playback are.

1 hour ago, ecwl said:

I used to use Windows 10 + JRiver on CAPSv3 Carbon (headless) and shut down almost all unnecessary programs and services in Windows 10. CAPSv3 Carbon was powered with HDPlex 100W LPS. Unfortunately, I couldn't use Uptone LPS1 to power the SoTM card in CAPSv3 Carbon, unlike the ultraRendu.

My take is that upgrading from a CAPSv3 to an ultraRendu + LPS1 is a fairly expensive upgrade even though I guess one can justify the cost. However, if you're starting anew, I probably would not recommend people to go out and build a CAPS unless there are specific reasons for functionality or configurability reasons to build a CAPS.

You may be right.  I'll see if I can audition the ultraRendu somehow.  I would love to compare them.  I'm using the CAPS as a renderer only with a minimal Linux install, MPD and upmpdcli.  The only reason to build it, IMO, was to use the SOtM USB card.  I'm going to try an HDPlex LPS for the mobo and USB card.  You have a good point in that the expense of the CAPS is comparable to the ultraRendu, more when you add the LPS, so it's not a matter of saving money.

45 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

USB streaming only without any Ethernet leg is still the best route to go.  Use SOtM's sclk-EX clocking board to modify any mobo or pcie card clocks.  Add a master clock.  Best to use a mobo with 12V input.  Quality power supplies only.

Interesting.  I'll try that.