IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

The latest licensed Thesycon Driver (For Windows PC) v5.12.0 is available to download here: link.

[IMG] 

TUSBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.12.0 (May 18, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------
* New: MIDI pipe statistics in the Spy utility
* New: several registry parameters for MIDI added
* Fix: switch preferred ASIO buffer size with driver package containing MIDI only and audio devices
* Chg: MIDI RX now uses USB flow control
* Chg: improved ISO packet error check
* Chg: scripts use Python 3.9.1 now
* Chg: DCK needs Windows 10 now
* Chg: documentation
* Chg: one channel can be part of more than 4 sound devices now

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Setup: Roon · Hermes Reclocker · DENAFRIPS Terminator-Plus · DENAFRIPS Athena · Kinki Studio EX-B7 · Magico A3s

thanks Alvin 👌

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol> Macmini ( roon core+Tidal ) >  HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk >switch rete tp-link, Denafrips Ares2, SPLvolume2 

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me with an optimal setup/config for the Terminator Plus & Hermes DDC using HQPlayer upsampling via a USB input to I2S output to the T+. In short, I use Roon Core on a NUCi7 and plan to setup a HQPlayer on a new M1 Mac Mini. The key question is what NAA device to use for USB input to the Hermes. I was planning a Raspberry Pi4 running native HQP NAA or Ropieee XL but research seems to indicate this will limit me to 192khz when using the Hermes I2S output. I want to use DSD upsampling to DSD256 but can't seem to get clear info on what NAA device will give me this using the I2S output. My options are 1-Pi4 + software (assuming I am wrong about the 192khz limit, 2-an older Celeron Intel NUC I have laying around where I can install either DietPi with NAA/Roon Bridge or the native HQP embedded on linux, or 3-direct connect the M1 Mac Mini running HQPlayer via USB into the Hermes (but I understand that the Mac has limits here and might not support the native DSD256 (DOP only?) via the Hermes to T+.

So all this has me more than a little confused as to the best HQPlayer config using an all Denafrips DDC + DAC. Anyone with experience that can share best practices here for SQ?

BTW: I haven't ordered the T+ and Hermes yet pending getting my setup sorted out. Already have the M1 MM however.

Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 5:15 PM, mrwiggles said:

Hoping someone can help me with an optimal setup/config for the Terminator Plus & Hermes DDC using HQPlayer upsampling via a USB input to I2S output to the T+. In short, I use Roon Core on a NUCi7 and plan to setup a HQPlayer on a new M1 Mac Mini. The key question is what NAA device to use for USB input to the Hermes. I was planning a Raspberry Pi4 running native HQP NAA or Ropieee XL but research seems to indicate this will limit me to 192khz when using the Hermes I2S output. I want to use DSD upsampling to DSD256 but can't seem to get clear info on what NAA device will give me this using the I2S output. My options are 1-Pi4 + software (assuming I am wrong about the 192khz limit, 2-an older Celeron Intel NUC I have laying around where I can install either DietPi with NAA/Roon Bridge or the native HQP embedded on linux, or 3-direct connect the M1 Mac Mini running HQPlayer via USB into the Hermes (but I understand that the Mac has limits here and might not support the native DSD256 (DOP only?) via the Hermes to T+.

So all this has me more than a little confused as to the best HQPlayer config using an all Denafrips DDC + DAC. Anyone with experience that can share best practices here for SQ?

BTW: I haven't ordered the T+ and Hermes yet pending getting my setup sorted out. Already have the M1 MM however.

Much appreciated.

Anyone?

This computer stick was recommended to me and works extremely well for HQP NAA;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MeLE-J3355-PCG02-APL-64GB/dp/B08T6CT5VL

You may also  be able to pick up some tips in the Denafrips review, Taking the Terminator to 11 in the review section on this site.

• HQPE & HAF 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or Files from external SSD
  • Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule -> Fiber -> Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical
  • Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule -> Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> MeLE NAA -> USB -> Intona 3.0 -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns
On 7/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, mrwiggles said:

Anyone?

I used a Hermes for a hot minute with my Venus II - I already have a USB --> HDMI/LVDS i2S DDC device I was using. Using i2S and HQPlayer, as well as an Rpi4 as the NAA (using the HQP NAA image, very lightweight on the Pi), I was able to get 384 PCM and DSD 256 working, which is the limit of the Amanero Combo384 USB input module on my homebrew DDC using Ian Canada parts. The Hermes - I don't recall the limits, but I was not limited to 192 PCM via i2S. Basically, the i2S input on DF DACs should give you just as much "range" as the USB input - so DSD1024 and PCM x32. 

I can say the combo of a Pi4, a nice, clean power supply for it, and a decent USB cable - forget the DDC for a moment - straight into my Venus II USB input, using HQPlayer PCM 768, Sinc Mx filter, LNS15 noise shaping? It's fantastic. DSD256 is even more impressive spatially, but it takes a hell of a machine to pull off using optimal settings. 

Anyway, this got kinda nerdy and technical, but suffice to say - you should not have any issue with a Pi4 (use a good PSU, I use a battery supply for it), HQPlayer, HQPlayer NAA image, USB out to your DDC, then i2S to your DAC. Or even just go Pi4 USB to the DAC - you may be surprised how good it really can sound. And I was a total USB Audio hater not more than a year ago. DF got it right, trust me.

Full disclosure - I do have another, more expensive DAC from a different brand on order. That's not a function of disliking anything about the Venus II. I never sit still with this stuff, it is what it is.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...