IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

1 hour ago, alvin1118 said:

3. Endurance time of the capacitors is usually 15yrs approximately, depending on usage. Thanks, @Miska of your excellence answers pertaining to this question. 

Hello Alvin,

So you recommend to turn the Terminator off when not in use, in order to save the lifetime of the capacitors ?

1 minute ago, rothosand said:

So you recommend to turn the Terminator off when not in use, in order to save the lifetime of the capacitors ?

I don't know what is recommended from Denafrips but my Terminator (and all DACs that I have used earlier) is always on - it takes a while for the clocks to stabilize and solid state devices to warm up from a cold start. Tube gears takes much less time. 

4 minutes ago, Dev said:

I don't know what is recommended from Denafrips but my Terminator (and all DACs that I have used earlier) is always on - it takes a while for the clocks to stabilize and solid state devices to warm up from a cold start. Tube gears takes much less time. 

Yes, that’s also what I am used to, but Miska seems to recommend to power it off. I’d like to know the lifetime difference, when the unit is always on or only when it is used...

Is there more detail on the "dual AES support?" I think some are seeing this as a way to connect an external upsampler like the Chord M Scaler. 

But for that to work, several things need to be true:

• each AES input needs to accept up to 24/384, not the more common 24/192
  • The Chord dual BNC mode requires support on both ends, as in this mode, the M Scaler splits L and R channels onto the 2 AES inputs.

So what are the specifics of dual AES on the Terminator?

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Is there more detail on the "dual AES support?" I think some are seeing this as a way to connect an external upsampler like the Chord M Scaler. 

But for that to work, several things need to be true:

• each AES input needs to accept up to 24/384, not the more common 24/192
  • The Chord dual BNC mode requires support on both ends, as in this mode, the M Scaler splits L and R channels onto the 2 AES inputs.

So what are the specifics of dual AES on the Terminator?

Yes, I’m also interested in how the dual AES will work dCS Network Bridge. Will the dual cables allow twice the sampling rates compared to single AES or spdif? please see my question above on this. Because the Network Bridge doesn’t have i2s or usb outputs, so this is crucial for high sampling rate files. In my case my only source is Tidal.

thanks

Jim

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

The Chord dual BNC mode requires support on both ends, as in this mode, the M Scaler splits L and R channels onto the 2 AES inputs.

At least HQPlayer supports dual-wire output mode, if the hardware itself doesn't do the splitting...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

15 hours ago, rothosand said:

Hello Alvin,

Contrary. Keep it most of time ON.

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Luxman 505uXmkII + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

Are the highest SQ connections into the Terminator the I2S and USB plugs?

These seem to be the favoured way in for higher sampling rate files:

"DSD1024, PCM1536 Supports On USB & I²S Input"

"DSD  

• DSD64-DoP On All Input

• DSD1024 On USB & I²S Input 

PCM  

• 24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Input

• 24bits /1536kHz On USB & I²S Input"

Unfortunately, though my dCS Network Bridge streamer doesn't have either I2S or USB outputs.

Does this mean my SQ would be lower?

6 hours ago, luisma said:

I am currently using USB  

From a dedicated audio PC?

How long is the USB cable?

I hate the idea of plugging an electrically noisy PC into my hifi!

Also, why is this thread so quiet at such a dramatic time in the evolution of the Terminator?

Is there a place online elsewhere, where lotsof current and possible Terminator owners are actively discussing the new board and how this will change things for them, and whether to get a Terminator?

Or does that not happen for this product?

Also, have you guys all seen the amusing videos about the Terminator by OCD HiFI Guy on YouTube?

32 minutes ago, JamesBardsley said:

I hate the idea of plugging an electrically noisy PC into my hifi!

Just isolate the noise - that is the beauty of digital audio (or digital anything)

A well-designed & expensive DAC like the Terminator may well have noise isolation built in too

Yes, it has a metal plate between the huge transformers/PSUs on the ground floor and the filters and music making circuits above.

None of the reviews I've read have mentioned EM noise as a problem for the Terminator.

my comment about noise was actually not about the Terminator - it was about PCs generally as a part of an audio system.

PCs are designed so badly in terms of EM noise...

anyway, that's a topic for another thread!

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

You could test and see, or buy one of the many available or forthcoming isolation products, or conttact them for advice... 

or not worry about it at all.

I shall always worry about EM noise getting into my hifi, as that's one of the main causes of bad SQ

and controlling EM noise is therefore one of the best ways to get better SQ

I don't use a PC for hifi at all

my signal chain is Tidal - Plusnet router - Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch (not currently in use) - dCS Network Bridge - Naim 272 (streamer/DAC/preamp) - Naim 150x power amp -Naim Ariva Speakers

I'm planning to use a different device to take functionality away from my crappy router

and upgrade my DAC - perhaps to a Terminator

that will force me to sell my 272 and get a new preamp

the strange thing is though that my system sounds b far the best it ever has in my life

so it's a very risky moment to tear the system apart from the centre outwards...

On 6/3/2019 at 12:56 AM, JamesBardsley said:

I shall always worry about EM noise getting into my hifi, as that's one of the main causes of bad SQ

and controlling EM noise is therefore one of the best ways to get better SQ

I don't use a PC for hifi at all

my signal chain is Tidal - Plusnet router - Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch (not currently in use) - dCS Network Bridge - Naim 272 (streamer/DAC/preamp) - Naim 150x power amp -Naim Ariva Speakers

If you have an isolation layer like network between PC and DAC, you don't have a problem.

In your current setup you do have a PC - Tidal is running on pile of PC's located in datacenters across the globe. (IIRC, last I checked they were using Cloudflare as CDN provider)

On 6/2/2019 at 4:42 AM, JamesBardsley said:

How do most people on this Forum connect to the Terminator?

Do you typically use HQPlayer on a PC and link via USB?

I own the Terminator and it is connected by SPDIF from my Aurender Music server. I was using an Aurender USB music server last week but switched over when I did a comparison between the two. The USB was good but the SPDIF is better. This inspired me to purchase an even better SPDIF cable from Audio Sensibility.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

System 2: Aurender N100CH Music Server>Singxer SU-1 Audio Bridge>NAD M2 (built in DAC)>KEF LS50 Speakers, Kimber Cable 8PR, NeoTech SPDIF Cable, Audio Quest Cinnamon USB.

7 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I own the Terminator and it is connected by SPDIF

Hi Blakcloud

Thanks for that information.

That's really interesting and useful to know.

I connect my dCS Network Bridge to my Naim 272 DAC with a Chord Shawline spdif cable.

It sounds excellent.

So it's great to know that spdif sounds good between a streamer and the Terminator too.

If I buy a Termy now I'll either connect by spdif or dual AES.

IIRC, although I've never used it that way, the NB sends out twice as much data via dual AES for higher sampling rates.

It's interesting that the I2s and usb connections into the Termy seem to process files at higher sampling rates.

But I'm not sure what that means?

Does it mean that it upsamples redbook files to those much higher rates?

I need technical advice on this, as per my and Austinpop's Qs above...

Jim

22 hours ago, JamesBardsley said:

Yup, tidal servers are my nas.

thats why I’m working on how I can min8mise the em mess created in my isp plus-net router ... 

Have the Cisco switch between the router and rest and you are done...  Just remember to check that you have 802.3x flow control enabled in the Cisco settings.

(and remember, no shielded ethernet cables!)