firedog

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Rate this topic

Alvin,

When the new release happens for supporting dsd512, I am interested to know if the internal SRC will also upsample to 512 as well when fed with lower sample rate ?

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

AFAIK, native dsd256 always worked right from the release of this DAC. Did you mean dsd512 instead ?

not for mine. for some strange reason. my Terminator firmware didn't advertise any native DSD capability to the USB Audio driver. not even DSD64/128/256. As a result, Ropieee (the Raspberry Pi software) I used didn't allow Native DSD.

it was fixed after updating firmware.

Hi Guys,

Just took delivery of the Terminator today after selling off my Qutest and beloved Pontus. This machine is pure awesomeness man. I am so appreciative of Alvin for convincing me to get this instead of the Venus. The stereo imaging, separation and soundstage is really exceptional. The instrument separation is something to behold. Even in congested tracks it does its thing without breaking a sweat. Its very holographic and encompasses you, pulls you into the music and keeps you there. Warning, bedtime will take a huge beating. Its so addictive. Music just keeps flowing, its very musical and very analogue sounding since I do most of my listening with ROON. I bet you have to go to a much higher price point to better this. Please do try to audition this beast before buying your next DAC. It really is exceptional. Now waiting for the DSP upgrade. Happy listening people. Thanks for reading.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, alvin1118 said:

Hello guys, 

DENAFRIPS engineers are full-force testing the new DSP as I type. We ask for extra time to ensure the best-stability and best-sonic DSP update to our customers. 

I'll definitely keep you guys updated here once it's ready. It's happening 👍

Many thanks.

Alvin @ Vinshine Audio

Alvin, that sounds awesome. Will it be user install.

Mac mini 8gb ram w/SSD/Mojo Auido Joule III -> Yggy -> W4S STP-SE pre Sage 1-> Nord One Up amp -> SP tech Continuum 2.5

Looks like this thread has been quite lately.  Wonder if you can comment on how well Terminator do with upsampled DSD file from HQPlayer especially when use in NOS mode?

I tired up-sampling to dsd256 earlier (w/ both Roon and HQPe) but ended up passing native signal and OS mode. Sounds pretty good.

16 minutes ago, Dev said:

I tired up-sampling to dsd256 earlier (w/ both Roon and HQPe) but ended up passing native signal and OS mode. Sounds pretty good.

That is interesting to know that you prefer native input with OS mode over up-sampled DSD256 with NOS.  When mine arrive, I will see how feeding with higher DSD signal with NOS mode work in my system.

4 minutes ago, elan120 said:

That is interesting to know that you prefer native input with OS mode over up-sampled DSD256 with NOS.  When mine arrive, I will see how feeding with higher DSD signal with NOS mode work in my system.

I forgot to add, I am using Matrix SPDIF2 convertor in between to get I2S to the Termi. Also, though the i7 NUC I am using as the source is quiet capable of up-sampling in Roon and some of the HQP filters, if not all, I don't have a high power server - this might have an effect on SQ on up-sampled traffic in my case but I can't tell for sure. I think the OS mode is well optimized to work with the rest of the R2R circuit.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

I forgot to add, I am using Matrix SPDIF2 convertor in between to get I2S to the Termi. Also, though the i7 NUC I am using as the source is quiet capable of up-sampling in Roon and some of the HQP filters, if not all, I don't have a high power server - this might have an effect on SQ on up-sampled traffic in my case but I can't tell for sure. I think the OS mode is well optimized to work with the rest of the R2R circuit.

Good to know.  I will try both i2S and USB inputs to find the one I like, and my server is built to run up-sampling from RedBook to DSD512 with all non-2S filter, so it will be interesting to see how everything will work out when I got Terminator into my system.  I will report my findings in few weeks.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:28 PM, luisma said:

On a different note, customs contacted me upon receiving the Terminator, they were very concerned what a "DAC Terminator" was, I hope they weren't thinking on a killing machine from the future 

Did you end up having to pay extra taxes for importing the Terminator from Singapore?

On 7/2/2018 at 4:55 AM, alvin1118 said:

my limited experience with allo usbridge was, it disappears from the network intermittently (once/twice a week). I can't be sure if it's my network issue or the usbridge overloaded. However, SOtM sms-200/ultra works well. I tried to upsample DSD256 from roon, it was fine too.

Hi

I have a dCS Network Bridge into Naim 272 DAC/preamp via SPDIF.

I'm considering getting a Terminator.

Have you ever heard of dCS NB into Terminator?

How will that work via dual AES with the new model?

thanks

James

15 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Very exciting news release - Denafrips announced the new DSD board that is capable to support DSD1024 / PCM1536.

Here is the link to the news release:  https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/2019/05/31/DSD1024-PCM1536---Are-you-ready?utm_campaign=172bce72-fe20-49ed-aced-396d8b014862&utm_source=so

Looking forward to run DSD1024 soon in my system.

4b933e_43f0414368c242fd9b80e356e76feea4~mv2_d_1920_1475_s_2.webp

Ok, but apparently it is a hardware upgrade. The new DSP board can be purchased separately :

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/dsp-board-terminator-dac

But is it possible to do the upgrade by ourselves ?

Mine is already ordered :D

Apart from dsd512/1024 (which I wasn't too interested) this update also opens up dual AES/EBU support and that means addition of M-scaler is a possibility.

Can't wait to find out what more it brings to an otherwise a very fine DAC.

2 minutes ago, Dev said:

Yes, its user upgrade-able.

Where can I find the instructions to do so ?

I'd like to see if it is really easy or rather tricky... I wouldn't want to have to send it back to Singapore if I make a mistake...

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Mine is already ordered :D

Apart from dsd512/1024 (which I wasn't too interested) this update also opens up dual AES/EBU support and that means addition of M-scaler is a possibility.

Can't wait to find out what more it brings to an otherwise a very fine DAC.

Same here, but I will have the DAC with new DSD board instead.  Very much looking forward to check what DSD1024 sound like.

1 minute ago, rothosand said:

Where can I find the instructions to do so ?

I'd like to see if it is really easy or rather tricky... I wouldn't want to have to send it back to Singapore if I make a mistake...

I don't have the instructions myself but I am told its user replaceable. Conjecturing from the internal pictures that I posted earlier, you simple remove the top lid by unscrewing the two back screws, then remove the DSP board and replace it with the new one. I assume they will have detail instructions when you get the new board.

2 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Same here, but I will have the DAC with new DSD board instead.  Very much looking forward to check what DSD1024 sound like.

Congrats! It's indeed a great DAC.

Over the coarse of time I have tried upsampling to DSD256 with both Roon Sox filter and HQP but I

have now come down passing native bits and turn on OS mode.

You will need a very powerful CPU to do DSD1024 though 😊

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

Congrats! It's indeed a great DAC.

Over the coarse of time I have tried upsampling to DSD256 with both Roon Sox filter and HQP but I

have now come down passing native bits and turn on OS mode.

You will need a very powerful CPU to do DSD1024 though 😊

I will also be comparing the new USB vs. i2S to see if the new USB input is good enough to not using i2S anymore.

Hopefully my server CPU is enough to upsample to DSD1024 since it is a 16 core / 32 thread unit, if not, since I have been thinking about adding a GTX2080 for a short while, once I changed to this new GPU, it will do the DSD1024.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

I don't have the instructions myself but I am told its user replaceable. Conjecturing from the internal pictures that I posted earlier, you simple remove the top lid by unscrewing the two back screws, then remove the DSP board and replace it with the new one. I assume they will have detail instructions when you get the new board.

Looking at the picture of the board, it has 4 screw holes at the corners & one ribbon style pin connector, where you just plug it one of the cables inside the Terminator to it.

Looks about as easy as you can get.

Just a little over $200 is also a steal for such a big upgrade!

2 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Just a little over $200 is also a steal for such a big upgrade!

yes and exactly the reason why I have already placed my ordered 😊

1024 DSD capable Terminator looks the business and might be all needed for digital playback for a long time!

Does anyone know what sort of customs duty/sales tax added to the direct orders from Singapore?
I can have it delivered to an address in England, Holland or Turkey.
Thanks.

Audirvana+3.0 / TIDAL HiFi / Mac Mini (256GB SSD - 16GB RAM)

Lindemann Musicbook: 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL