IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

7 hours ago, juanitox said:

my grandmother ( big boss at LA/Orange County Audio Society)  now have the TOtal Dac of  your brother finally repaired and she is very happy to have sold  the Denafripps Dac to your brother..   that 's why she' s still number 1

Well, she's got that going for her.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, Milt99 said:

[...] this a professional site is totally worthless and to me shows the reviewer's pure bias

toward highest price == highest performance. [...] Total obnoxious fail.

Totally man! But now, the ML article reads:

The Order d1-tube-mk2 > d1-seven > Terminator > Border Patrol.

So he's now put the cheap totaldac in front of the expensive one. The cheap one is about half the price of the expensive one and 2 generations behind. In fact, the tube output has been abandoned since the last generation. So the front runner now is from an orphaned product line. ML must be reading this thread and back pedaled when he saw he's been exposed. That *so* lame...

But on the bright side, it's clear now that he can be pressed into changing his writings. We should keep piling on the pressure and he'll soon give the crown to the Terminator, which should have it in the first place. Please keep up the good work!

On 3/11/2018 at 7:11 AM, juanitox said:

my grandmother ( big boss at LA/Orange County Audio Society)  now have the TOtal Dac of  your brother finally repaired and she is very happy to have sold  the Denafripps Dac to your brother..   that 's why she' s still number 1

Actually, totaldac is grossly overpriced. Everybody on the 'net knows that. I mean, they have been on 6moons numerous times and not a single Blue Moon Award. Denafrips, on the other hand, got one first time out with the Terminator. Your grandmother must be brainwashed like all the other totaldac owners. Their so called experience is totally worthless. Don't believe a single thing they say!

By the way, we're really lucky here. Srajan used to be quite the elitist that would spew ridiculous audiophile babel-speak like these:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/zanden2/2000_2.html

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stealth/indra.html

I'm so glad he's come to his senses and completely turn his back on the dark side x-D

@accwai, No TotalDAC is not overpriced.  You appear to have very little knowledge of parts quality and cost.  Anyway, you can prefer whatever you want, but posting misinformation on the Internet and attacking products with information which is in error is not good form.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

30 minutes ago, accwai said:

I'm so glad he's come to his senses and completely turn his back on the dark side

So Mr. Ebaen is spewing ridiculous audiophile babel, until he agrees with your position, hmmm.  I guess you must be the singular voice of all-knowingness of all things audiophile, you do realize that statements like this make you look like a fool, right?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hello all Denafrips Owners, i pulled the trigger with a Terminator DAC and before it arrives iam trying to figure out what kind of cables and DDC converters should i look into...What are you using with your DACs?:

I use a Curious USB cable but it is too short (now) so i am going to need another one of 70 to 100cm and i have read a lot about the LUSH USB cable, any suggestions, specially for Terminator DAC.

In the other hand if i want to take full advantage of the i2s input on the DAC, which converter are you guys using, does the Matrix X SPDIF 2 works well with Denafrips, is it good?

What type or where can i buy the HDMI cable?

Thanks to all for reading, i hope you can share your experiences

Kind regards to all!!

45 minutes ago, barrows said:

@accwai, No TotalDAC is not overpriced.  You appear to have very little knowledge of parts quality and cost.  Anyway, you can prefer whatever you want, but posting misinformation on the Internet and attacking products with information which is in error is not good form.

I gotta go with Barrows. To me the T+A DSD is a nice\smart niche from a company that primarily offers uber high-end gear.

Read a lot of reviews and in-depth reviews of Lothar and the gang and to me they are legit.

The Total DAC 8 DSD seems worthy of its price.

No more non-Denafrips posts from me here.

2 hours ago, barrows said:

2 hours ago, barrows said:

So Mr. Ebaen is spewing ridiculous audiophile babel, until he agrees with your position, hmmm.  I guess you must be the singular voice of all-knowingness of all things audiophile, you do realize that statements like this make you look like a fool, right?

x-Dx-Dx-D

A fool perhaps, but much more importantly, he is very crazy. He might be showing very little regards for parts quality and cost, please notice his familiarity with totaldac's product line and history. He has probably seen those Vishay Z-foils on the bottom side of the circuit board. Have you?

Remember he said whoever spells the DAC's name the same way as on the front panel is an elitist? Exactly how does he spell it every time himself? Also note the ease with which he could quote the most esoteric writings of Srajan Ebaen. (A search for all instances of the term "ridiculous audiophile babel-speak" in this whole thread might yield interesting result) And lastly, he said something about don't believe a thing the totaldac owners say. What can that possibly mean? Hmmm...

Reading too much misinformation and uncivil sh$%#@!t floating around here on CA probably caused him to flip out big time :D

6 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Hello all Denafrips Owners, i pulled the trigger with a Terminator DAC and before it arrives iam trying to figure out what kind of cables and DDC converters should i look into...What are you using with your DACs?:

I use a Curious USB cable but it is too short (now) so i am going to need another one of 70 to 100cm and i have read a lot about the LUSH USB cable, any suggestions, specially for Terminator DAC.

In the other hand if i want to take full advantage of the i2s input on the DAC, which converter are you guys using, does the Matrix X SPDIF 2 works well with Denafrips, is it good?

Kind regards to all!!

With regard to USB cables you might like this link, although the cables where used with different dacs, Brooklyn and Mola Mola.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/usb-comparison-sablon-vs-lush-vs-curious-vs-vovox?highlight=Sablon vs Lush

6 hours ago, accwai said:

Totally man! But now, the ML article reads:

The Order d1-tube-mk2 > d1-seven > Terminator > Border Patrol.

So he's now put the cheap totaldac in front of the expensive one. The cheap one is about half the price of the expensive one and 2 generations behind. In fact, the tube output has been abandoned since the last generation. So the front runner now is from an orphaned product line. ML must be reading this thread and back pedaled when he saw he's been exposed. That *so* lame...

But on the bright side, it's clear now that he can be pressed into changing his writings. We should keep piling on the pressure and he'll soon give the crown to the Terminator, which should have it in the first place. Please keep up the good work!

ML did not change his writing.

The sentence you quoted did not refer to a hierarchy between the DACs , but only explained in which order the different DACs were listened to, for each track. See also the following sentence :

Once two tracks played through each DAC, two new tracks were selected and played back in reverse DAC Order.

6 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

For the moment, I did not try any of the I2S inputs.

Some apparently consider that the USB input on the Terminator is far more qualitative than with other DACs and that this DAC is less sensitive to the quality of the input...

I am currently using the Totaldac USB cable/filter, and it works great ! This way, I have a bit of the Totaldac sound combined with the Terminator :P 

3 hours ago, rothosand said:

ML did not change his writing.

The sentence you quoted did not refer to a hierarchy between the DACs , but only explained in which order the different DACs were listened to, for each track. See also the following sentence : [...]

Yup, you caught me there x-D But this one is in there too:

I think it's safe to say that the totaldacs were the clear winners (surprise, surprise). And while we all heard the same thing, we did not all share the same preferences. The overall winner was a toss up, with some preferring the d1-tube-mk2 and others preferring the d1-seven. If you're into maths, that makes the d1-tube-mk2 the clear winner. [...] The d1-tube-mk2 DAC offers up more grunt, color, and gravelly emotion compared to the d1-seven which clearly excels at offering uncanny clarity and nuance.

To somebody deeply into totaldac's (now orphaned) tube line, this is a rather surprising affirmation of a long held gut feel.

3 hours ago, rothosand said:

[...] I thought ML was an honest and informative guy, but now I have my doubts...

In a way, more or less the same thing could be said for Srajan Ebaen... The Srajan that write about the Zanden digital frontend and Stealth Audio Indra is a very different Srajan from the one who gave Blue Moon to the Terminator. His writing style and preferences have shifted drastically. Most of the interesting old gang, Jules Coleman, Edward Barker, Jeff Day (and ML too :)) are gone from 6moons. Now, we're left with Frederic Beudot for example, who likes to bash Ocellia electronics every chance he gets. The stuff is so rare probably nobody would call his bluff. But to those with deep knowledge and experience in this area, his comments sound rather uninformed. That brings into question everything else he writes. Having said that though, it's a very fickle industry with a very large audience base. It's a very thankless job, should you choose to accept such mission...

@mikicasellas  Here is a comparison of USB cables I did late last year. Perhaps it will be helpful. PLEASE NOTE: I strongly advise trying the cable(s) out for yourself and in your system. I will not make any recommendations since it really comes down to your preferences and what you are looking to achieve within the confines of your system. The impressions and findings are subjective and the later phases were with the Terminator in system as well.

https://usbcablecomparison.blogspot.com/

If you click on my name in the 'About Me' section (in the upper right corner) it will pull up another 'review' which is an evaluation of the Terminator and Yggdrasil DACs. Most of you may have seen this link in the 'other' Denafrips thread here at CA. I also posted the same in the Audiostream DAC Out response section. Mentioning it for those that may not have read it, since it is also relevant to the post discussions above.

Congratulations on your DENAFRIPS Terminator DAC purchase!!! 

On 13/03/2018 at 3:51 AM, mikicasellas said:

Kind regards to all!!

Hi,

the Terminator USB input is very good. I have compared to my tweaked Singxer SU-1 and the difference is not night and day but my Singxer is a little better. As for the i2s HDMI / AES I don't ear such a big difference but I have a good AES cable and a 30€ HDMI cable.

Some Terminator's owners on a French forum are very happy with this converter based on Amanero:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/LKS-Amanero-Combo384-USB-interface-I2S-RJ45-HDMI-Coaxial-out-DSD512-with-Crystek/132393671402?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140423084956%26meid%3Dffd17cccfb7c47b1aa0bb48b101105e7%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D142024718752%26itm%3D132393671402&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

They have sold their Sotm dx-usb HD.

From some internet readings the LKS and Singxer should be quite close in sound. I don't know the Matrix.

May be the best for you would be to wait as I know that Denafrips is preparing an i2s source to go with their DAC.

3 hours ago, roberto2 said:

Hi,

the Terminator USB input is very good. I have compared to my tweaked Singxer SU-1 and the difference is not night and day but my Singxer is a little better. As for the i2s HDMI / AES I don't ear such a big difference but I have a good AES cable and a 30€ HDMI cable.

Some Terminator's owners on a French forum are very happy with this converter based on Amanero:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/LKS-Amanero-Combo384-USB-interface-I2S-RJ45-HDMI-Coaxial-out-DSD512-with-Crystek/132393671402?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140423084956%26meid%3Dffd17cccfb7c47b1aa0bb48b101105e7%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D142024718752%26itm%3D132393671402&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

From some internet readings the LKS and Singxer should be quite close in sound. I don't know the Matrix.

May be the best for you would be to wait as I know that Denafrips is preparing an i2s source to go with their DAC.

So, this LKS made them sold they SOtM?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, roberto2 said:

Hi,

Hi Roberto, do you use the Singxer to convert USB to i2s?

What is the Terminator Input that you most like?

18 hours ago, roberto2 said:

Hi,

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for your very interesting comments.
I wait for my Terminator with impatience...
I have a cable USB Phasure Lush, do you think that the I2S is better than the USB in spite of there is not a very good cable I2S (at the moment)? And have you tried a good USB with a ISO Regen vs I2S?

Thanks a lot and best regards.

1 hour ago, tipunch said:

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for your very interesting comments.
I wait for my Terminator with impatience...
I have a cable USB Phasure Lush, do you think that the I2S is better than the USB in spite of there is not a very good cable I2S (at the moment)? And have you tried a good USB with a ISO Regen vs I2S?

Thanks a lot and best regards.

I have made a test of the USB input using two 20cm Curious Cables coming from my Sotm sms-200 Ultra and a Sotm tx-usbhub in between powered by a Sotm sps-500. The USB input is very good and adding my tweaked Singxer makes a little but noticeable improvement in AES or i2s. The difference between HDMI and AES does not seem to me so great. 

But may be someone else would find it bigger in another context. 

Anyway the Terminator is the first DAC that I own that has an USB input of this quality. All my previous DACs (Mytek 192, Dangerous Source, Audio-gd Master 7) were clearly improved by an USB/AES converter. With the Terminator the difference is not so big. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Mr. Ebaen is spewing ridiculous audiophile babel"

I have  no dog in the hunt w/respect to these DACs, digging a Mytek B+, presently.  Interested, but I believe that the Terminator would require a preamp, not going there again with only one source.

But LOLed at this comment, because whilst I am appreciative of 6 Moons significant efforts to review a very broad array of music playing products from everywhere and anywhere (not just the stuff that USA high end audiophile boutiques sell), I have significant challenges reading reviews by Mr E.  Efficient and precise with language, he is not.  YMMV.

Tone with Soul

40 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Efficient and precise with language, he is not.

I think it's called 6moons because you have to read it 6times to understand the content.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's