IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

50 minutes ago, luisma said:

Alvin? good or bad news?

On a separate note someone asked about leaving the DAC ON all the time, how does that affects the life of the product? this is all digital I presume the consumption will be nothing and since there are no fans ... Can you provide some advice?

Most solid state gear will last a very long time when kept powered up 24/7.  The possible exception being class A amplifiers which run very hot (the heat can dry out electrolytic capacitors).

A DAC should be left on at all times for best performance, clocks require quite a bit of warm up to stabilize at their lowest noise level.  Indeed, many power up/down cycles put more stress on solid state components than leaving them on, as the inrush currents at power up are many times higher than at any other time.  Leave it powered dup all the time, except when away on vacation.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Most solid state gear will last a very long time when kept powered up 24/7.  The possible exception being class A amplifiers which run very hot (the heat can dry out electrolytic capacitors).

A DAC should be left on at all times for best performance, clocks require quite a bit of warm up to stabilize at their lowest noise level.  Indeed, many power up/down cycles put more stress on solid state components than leaving them on, as the inrush currents at power up are many times higher than at any other time.  Leave it powered dup all the time, except when away on vacation.

I'm turning off my gear when not in use. I'm a bit worried about electrolytic capacitors, I've had quite many blown up after couple of years running 24/7. If the caps in hardware are rated for 105C or hotter, then they'll last a bit bitter. But standard ones are rated for 85C max. Heat almost exponentially reduces electrolytic capacitor lifetime, so it really depends on what kind of internal temperatures it reaches and what kind of components have been selected....

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

or when a thunderstorm is about to pepper the area with lightening strikes

That's another thing. Although I use powerline filters and surge protectors. And Finland is not particularly bad in that respect, especially now that almost all electrical cabling has been moved underground due to legal reliability requirements.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2018 at 3:29 AM, alvin1118 said:

Hello guys,

My apologies for the delay. I may have good news soon. (hint?)

Alvin w/ ♥️

Happy New Year everyone, thread have been inactive for some time, Alvin any updates on the DSD512 support? any good news to share with us? Anxiously waiting for the DSD512 support.

Best

Luis

13 minutes ago, luisma said:

My Amanero firmware is working great no loud popping noises, I mean there is a pop noise only at the start but not that loud or annoying and I stay fixed at DSD256, did you updated the firmware DEV?

I am running 1099c I believe

Is there a way to check the firmware version ? I haven't upgraded anything since the factory install. The loud pops are mainly when changing sample rate from DSD to PCM. There are faint pops when changing PCM rates, for example, from 44.1k to 192k as well but they aren't that loud. I believe if you upsample everything to DSD256, then all these issues are redundant. Which s/w are you using to upsample ?

15 hours ago, Dev said:

Is there a way to check the firmware version ?

There must be a way, from what I remember when you connect to it you get some feedback from the USB interface, I am using HQPE to upsample and in the HQPE logs if I remember correctly something is shown as well from the interaction of HQPE asking the DAC's capabilities.... I just don't have the DAC with me here now ....

I asked because I had so many issues in the beginning with loud pops and even more like noise when changing filters etc. and when upgraded most of the issues were gone. The only one that remains when I start playing is a pop but not loud and brief

On 9/2/2018 at 1:37 AM, Ben-M said:

Hi Alvin,

I was wondering if you have any updates on the DSSD512 firmware update on the Terminator yet? I've been holding off from purchasing directly because of this topic. I understand the Terminator is highly lauded at all formats and has great feedback with DSD256 content, but I'm still holding out for DSD512 capability via USB and I2s inputs. 

Still beating the dead(?) horse here, quoting my own posts now for the 3rd time in 9 months. 

@alvin1118 Can you tell us the status of the DSD512 capable firmware update? Is it time we start getting ready for the next flagship DAC from Denafrips because this one is getting long in the tooth? 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

tx-usbultra it's only USB hub. It's not D/D converter.

I m pretty sure U16 or Singxer will give you much more SQ benefits as you will connect with I2S.

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to use a Linux based Roon Endpoint (or any other Linux based streamer) successfully with the Terminator? I am using a Raspberry Pi + running Ropieee and while most things works, I am unable to get native DSD to work. Ropieee supports native DSD with the Amanero board, but the Terminator is not reporting Native DSD as a capability.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, Ralf11 said:

or when a thunderstorm is about to pepper the area with lightening strikes...

That's for sure.  MY stuff is turned off, even though I have whole house protection, etc..  Living in the lightning capital of the US, well I just don't take chances anymore.

The Truth Is Out There

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, alvin1118 said:

Hello guys,

We're getting closer, slowly but surely. 

Keep our finger crossed to have some good news after the Chinese New Year! 

Many thanks.

Best,

Alvin

Vinshie Audio

Hello again, Alvin. 

It's over a month after CNY holidays now, are there any good updates? 

And can you say anything about a new, higher-end DAC from Denafrips? I'm wondering with all the new components from them and the lack of upgrades or new releases with the Terminator. 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:49 PM, jmpsmash said:

Has anyone been able to use a Linux based Roon Endpoint (or any other Linux based streamer) successfully with the Terminator? I am using a Raspberry Pi + running Ropieee and while most things works, I am unable to get native DSD to work. Ropieee supports native DSD with the Amanero board, but the Terminator is not reporting Native DSD as a capability.

I have used Allo Bridge, custom Ubuntu and Linux custom image with no issue, you may want to be sure you have the latest and stable Amanero firmware.