IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Hi Guys,

Just took delivery of the Terminator today after selling off my Qutest and beloved Pontus. This machine is pure awesomeness man. I am so appreciative of Alvin for convincing me to get this instead of the Venus. The stereo imaging, separation and soundstage is really exceptional. The instrument separation is something to behold. Even in congested tracks it does its thing without breaking a sweat. Its very holographic and encompasses you, pulls you into the music and keeps you there. Warning, bedtime will take a huge beating. Its so addictive. Music just keeps flowing, its very musical and very analogue sounding since I do most of my listening with ROON. I bet you have to go to a much higher price point to better this. Please do try to audition this beast before buying your next DAC. It really is exceptional. Now waiting for the DSP upgrade. Happy listening people. Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JamesBardsley said:

Anyone know a Terminator owner who lives inNorthern England or wales?

who might be willing to let me hear it briefly?

l am an academic at Lancaster University...

James,

I would advise you to prepare your wallet first. LOL. Its extremely addictive, u will have withdrawal symptoms once you hear the beast in action. I had a Qutest and Pontus, sold both and got meself the Termy. Its just so clean and analogue sounding. You will have to spend a few thousands more to reach the levels that she can dish out. No hint of digital hash at all, in my case as I am running a digital system. Wishing you all the best in your quest. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Dev said:

I have tried the Matrix SPDIF2 and Singxer SU6. After using them for prolonged time I moved back to USB direct as the DDC's sounded thin compared. Introducing a DDC in-between puts a big requirement on what power supply is being used with them. If they aren't top notch and assuming your streamer is excellent, you are better off going direct to USB - at least this is what I have found in my system.

Hi Dev,

I will give a shot, I am currently using Zenith Mk2 and my USB cables are Tellurium Silver Diamond, come to think of it, I never really bothered trying out the other inputs on the Terminator as i was always under the impression that is2 is best. Hope I land the new DSP board soon. For now testing begins without a DDC. Thank you sir.

18 hours ago, elan120 said:

Just a quick note...if you plan on sending upsampled PCM1536/DSD1024 signals to this new DSP board, then yes, you have to forgo any DDC currently on the market, since none of them support these rates.  If not, it will be interesting to compare whether I2S is better than USB or other inputs.

Mine is still in the beginning phase of burn-in, but for now, I am quite happy running upsampled PCM1536 or DSD512 signals through USB input.

Hi Elan,

U are using Audionirvana to upsample before feeding the DAC? I am using ROON and I don't upsample but I do have some DSD tracks. Any recommendations. My streamer is the Zenith Mk2. Thank you sir.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dev said:

I currently have the Singxer SU-1 and Matrix SPDIF2 but haven't tried with the new DSP board. With the old board, the Matrix sounded better with more resolution than the SU-1 but also sounded thinner than the direct USB. This could probably be due to power supply on the DDC but I did try what I had in hand (PH SR4, Mojo Illuminati v1, Uptone LSP1 & JS2). With all of them the I2S sounded a bit thinner and less musical than going USB direct.

Irrespective of DDC, the new DSP board upgrade is a no brainier for this DAC. If you can manage to get a clean signal into the USB input, I would be hard pressed to use a DDC in between which adds one more high quality cable requirement along with its power supply. 

Hi Dev,

I am waiting on my DSP, hope I receive it soon. I would agree that if the new DSP has a good USB implementation then out goes the DDC for sure. That's why I am holding out till I get my DSP to hear it. Alvin advised me the same as well. Wait for the board before getting a SU-6 he said. Thank you taking your time to pass on your experience Dev, Its much appreciated. 

And now to be patient and wait. (Definitely not my forte). LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Wow thats big praise!  Curious if either of you can try to describe in what ways USB is superior to i2s with the Terminator.

Hi tboooe,

The stereo separation, staging, details are really really good, exceptional if I may. The 3D and holographics are very good too, with i2s everything was veiled and thin sounding. I suggest if u have not heard the board yet, do it. I am running through my collections all over again with this gem of an upgrade. U have to hear it, certain things just cannot be put in words. All this mumbo jumbo audiophile words cannot really explain what I am hearing. I love it.

Do let us know what you think? 

43 minutes ago, EMMM said:

Has anyone tried the new DSP upgrade with and without an ISO Regen/LPS1.2 combo?

U are in luck. We just did this morning. Not much difference but my Tellurium USB cable made a bigger difference than having the iso regen/lps1.2 combo with or without.

We also tried various permutations/combos with my sotm Trifecta and the iso regen/lps 1.2 combo and all I can say is I think its worth investing in a very high quality USB cable to take full advantage of the DSP board. It brought about the biggest jump in SQ.

No DDC in the chain, with it, the sound is veiled, almost held back. But one of my friend reported back saying he liked it with the Gustard U16 in the chain, so, its best to try out.

If u are using the trifecta keep it and invest in a good quality USB cable, same for the iso regen/lps1.2 combo. Don't go chasing ghosts. T-loan one and try. My 2 cents worth and of course as usual YMMV depending on your setup. Happy listening guys. 

Please chip in with suggestions. Thank you.

6 hours ago, matthias said:

Can the new DSP board be used with the Pontus as well?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

No you cannot. I think they are looking at year end for the release of the boards for the Pontus and Venus. Hang on bud, it is totally worth the wait. Meanwhile as I said, try to lay your hands on a quality USB cable. Enjoy the music.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

After a long wait (6 weeks) I received my Denafrips Terminator a few days ago. 😀

A little history of my HiFi travel.

Since I stream a lot of music (hard disk and Quobuz HighRes), a powerful DAC has always been very important in my system. I already had a Linn Klimax DSM with Katalyst upgrade. This was replaced by T + A MP 3000 HV. This in turn was replaced by a Holo Audio Spring DAC (ARMATURE Asterion with USB XMOS U208 processor).

At least here, every reasonable person asks, how can this be? We are talking about price differences (RRP in Euro) from 24k (Linn) to 10k (T + A) to 1.7k (Holo Audio)! My explanation. T + A HV series is fantastic. That was on par with the Linn Klimax. The change to Spring was for one reason: DSD 512! I'm one of those who convert everything into DSD with the HQPlayer. I just like it better. The MP 3000 HV can only PCM.

Now it was time to start again in a higher league.

The T + A SD 3000 HV is too expensive for me with 23k. And so it came to the purchase of the Denafrips Terminator.

Already the first sound inspired me. Yesterday my best friend was with me. The Termi ran at this time about 70h in continuous operation. He said that he has not yet heard that clarity, that pure sound. He liked the deep, precise basses.

That's my first impression. My dealer says that the Termi sounds properly after 300h.

Here are some impressions

36379467ha.jpeg

36377296hy.jpeg

36377295tl.jpeg

36377293fj.jpeg

Welcome to the Terminator club. U are going to love it. It's a beast, in a Good way. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, coach65 said:

Has anyone here paired the Denefrips pontes with any of the innuos servers? Or any of the Denefrips dac's

Hi,

I am using Zenith Mk2 with the Terminator, but I have the soTm Trifecta in the chain as well. I love it. My sms-200 is the end point. I find it gives a bit more body compared to just from the Zenith to the DAC. YMMV. happy listening.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...